Hey "y'all" it's October

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets all just go over to the carrier forumly known as... We can all get weekend runs then. Oh, wait, one of those are here sitting since Thursday. never mind.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I am the first guy to understand everyone wanting to move. We are a percentage based company that pays layover. I meant the very fundamental of our system says we make no money when trucks sit, but we pay for staff and overhead and we take more pain paying layover like the other carriers will not do. Our staff meets every Friday to review anticipated volumes (we do get some feel on Friday based on what is already booking for Saturday). We then meet on Monday to review the weekend as a whole. As well we rotate managers to come in on weekends to watch and look for ways to tweak and improve. At some point you simply can not control the shipping market or volumes. For instance for a long time we fought hard on Mondays to book Tue freight as Tuesday tended to be a slower day. Did we add staff or lower staff on Tuesdays or do something different? No, the shipping market was just slower on Tuesdays. Now that trend went away....why???? I have no idea, but like most of this business you manage but reality....control is extremely limited. Combine all that with advent of the multicarrier and the number of improperly insured/operating carriers and.... With that being said we have continued to grow the sales staff, added inside sale and at the same time with this added cost kept the sprinter fleet at roughly same size. Sounds like I should be the frustrated one, lol.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
going off my last full month of data, i had no pick ups on wednesdays, but i did have work on three of my weekends. i think john should move a saturday person to wednesday.

eb

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
going off my last full month of data, i had no pick ups on wednesdays, but i did have work on three of my weekends. i think john should move a saturday person to wednesday.

eb

Ok I actually chuckled out loud.

And hopefully I can see again soon. Seems to have developed a haze later in the cornea. Trying some new steroids today to try and clear this thing up.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Just from a raw numbers stand point I would be curious to see the percentage of freight customers that are open on the weekend.

eb

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Very hard to pinpoint. Many are not but work weekends as needed or due to other plants working vs scheduled every weekend.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
i would still find the numbers interesting, because on any given weekend there are huge swaths of real estate that become completely vacant of any activity. the kind of activity that during the week would be generating freight for some one.

eb

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Very hard to pinpoint. Many are not but work weekends as needed or due to other plants working vs scheduled every weekend.

Well it is tough. That is why we evaluate every Friday. The auto plants running for instance. If the big 3 decide to run 8 or ten plants on sat and/or Sunday it can trickle down into hundreds of suppliers being open.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
i just like mulling data. at this point it's mostly academic curiosity. comparing data to what we can already physically see in empty parking lots. i stick around for weekend freight, because it's become a hobby--how often do i get a chance to say i love weekend freight. in reality, we already know what sundays have to offer. its why we do our laundry on sundays.

eb

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
i just like mulling data. at this point it's mostly academic curiosity. comparing data to what we can already physically see in empty parking lots. i stick around for weekend freight, because it's become a hobby--how often do i get a chance to say i love weekend freight. in reality, we already know what sundays have to offer. its why we do our laundry on sundays.

eb

But laundry can be an issue as I have read in recent blogs..... LOL

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Obviously the Sales group is missing out on a large group of shippers that ship only on Saturdays & Sundays so it's time to let Sales drive our trucks for a while so us drivers can go do their jobs because it should be a very simple matter to find "weekend only shippers"... and then we will convince them to pay double because we ain't taking no cheap weekend freight!!!

We are going to convince them to pay double rate on weekends!!!

This Sales thing has to be so easy!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Good evening gang. Hope everyone is doing well. SLOWLY seem to be getting some vision back. Strange thing about this injury. When you wake up it is worse and it seems to improve throughout the day. So opposite of a normal injury. I guess if I can stay awake for 3 days straight I will be perfect??????

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good evening gang. Hope everyone is doing well. SLOWLY seem to be getting some vision back. Strange thing about this injury. When you wake up it is worse and it seems to improve throughout the day. So opposite of a normal injury. I guess if I can stay awake for 3 days straight I will be perfect??????

When dispatch calls for a not so great load. I always say " well it's better than a poke in the eye with a stick". Guess it's true huh?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You know, the eyeballs aren't even separate organs, but rather they are outgrowths of the brain. The retina, anyway. Your brain is obviously foggy until you've been awake for a while. :D

Actually, it's because the cornea retains fluids during the night and is thus thicker in the morning. The fluids evaporate in the tear film while we're awake, resulting in improved vision later in the day. I'm sure it's more pronounced when the cornea is damaged and already swollen more than normal.