Hello.....Newby on the lot....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You have to pay?

They should compensate you for all driving, regardless what it is. I also think that if they are to expect you to drive as an employee, they keep the van loaded and moving at all times. There is enough cheap uship work out there to keep things rolling.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm paid by the job-30% of each load. All postage, envelopes, faxes, etc. comes out of my pocket. I do have to pay 15cents per mile on dh after 2,000 a month (unless approved for company paperwork or whatever) What hurts the most is I didn't have any money saved when I took on this journey into the unknown world of trucking.

Dude, it sounds to me like you need to do a lot of reading on here and research what you should be getting paid to drive that van. Personally, I think your getting hosed...realy bad.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
We are seeing more and more NEWBIES coming into this business doing minimal research and multiple small companies....

To me both of those are a mistake when you new...If you didn't understand that expedite in a CV and Sprinter is about "deliver then hurry up and wait"...then you didn't do much research....thats just basic in this business...

Signing with multiple companies when new in a slow market...thats a killer from what i see..and on more then a few levels....It takes time to establish yourself with one dispatch crew let alone 3-4 different crews....then there is learning the business to begin with, again learning the basic ways of this business from one company if not all that easy, but from 3-4...not good

Ok so you are driving for a owner...I'd be talking to him and see if he would put a unit on with one of the "midsize" companies that have a good business and then you need to slow down and be patient and take your time to learn the business..then go from there...

This signing with multiple small companies when new is looking more and more as a disaster waiting to happen for the newbie....

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
You also have to remember some of these newbies are the random people that ask you how much money you are making. You tell them tons and then they go buy a van and wanna be just like you. Which in turn can take away from your income, more competition lower rates etc. IMHO.....
Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Competetion is a welcome deal for me...I never looked at you and Nick as Competition just a added benefit to the carrier that would perform as a strong member that in turn let the carrier build on a solid base and go get more freight and offer more loads and miles...Yea i am looking at it os a smaller scale of 1 carrier, but as a whole, more newbies and underfunded, under-educated (to the ways of the industry) fail then make it and solid O/O's are a welcome asset to the industry....

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Wasn't talking about you and I. I was talking industry wide. All I am going to say, because I don't feel like arguing about this, is supply and demand. The demand for loads is less than the supply of vehicles. Example.... Laredo.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Competetion is a welcome deal for me...I never looked at you and Nick as Competition just a added benefit to the carrier that would perform as a strong member that in turn let the carrier build on a solid base and go get more freight and offer more loads and miles...Yea i am looking at it os a smaller scale of 1 carrier, but as a whole, more newbies and underfunded, under-educated (to the ways of the industry) fail then make it and solid O/O's are a welcome asset to the industry....

I don't agree somewhat....we are Independent Owner Operators...I do consider anyone in my class of van competition within the carrier....I WANT that load before you....and I'll have the better advantage to run that load that comes up....able to carry weight, volume, moving blankets and the rest of the toys to get that load before you.....I'll even run it .02 cheaper if I have to...because I get better fuel mileage then a lot do....we are independent within the framework of a mutual carrier.....Buddy...LOL...:)

Even if it means sitting in a customers parking lot..playing closet truck....so there...LOL

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Don't buy books. Get a kindle. You might already have the app on your phone. Or use your laptop. TONS of free or near free books to read. E-books are light and don't take up any space in your truck.

.30 a mile? and you pay for anything? RUN FOREST RUN!

That's just insane.

You'd do better with a 2000 dollar van and borrowed enclosed trailer pulling loads on uship......

(the uship thing was a joke.. however.. He likely would make more money)