Hello.....Newby on the lot....

deamos88

Active Expediter
Hello Everyone. I'm new to expediting. I'm used to working long my feet constantly moving around. I'm trying to stay positive and give this new path a chance, but I have to admit that I'm a little discouraged at the moment. I trained for a month with my father, and now I've been on my own for roughly two weeks and I've only had one load. I got annoyed and dead headed 250 miles home after sitting for 5 days. Should I keep with this and try to wait out the bad spots or should I go back to my fast-paced laboring jobs? I'm really torn and conflicted with this at the moment.....:confused:

deamos88

Active Expediter
Well, I started off in a sprinter. Now I'm in a cargo van temporarily until my company gets a few more sprinters.

deamos88

Active Expediter
I work for a new company....Emmanuel Enterprise Expediting (it's basically family owned), however I am contracted with 4 companies for loads-Eclipse, T&K, Whirlwind, and L.R.T.

deamos88

Active Expediter
I delivered to Fort Payne, AL, moved over to Rising Fawn, GA. Sitting there I was 20 miles from Chattanooga, TN, 30 from Fort Payne. All my dispatchers said I was in a really good spot being right in the middle, but I only had one bid in 5 days and didn't get the tho load.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I never drove for those companies but I think moving toward Atlanta or Birmingham would've been better, sometimes you just have to make an educated gamble.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I work for a new company....Emmanuel Enterprise Expediting (it's basically family owned), however I am contracted with 4 companies for loads-Eclipse, T&K, Whirlwind, and L.R.T.

might wana see the tread on WW..

This time of year is considered the slow season. hang in there it'll get better.

deamos88

Active Expediter
I don't know. I don't particularly like any of our companies. They seem keep us going to Arizona and Texas, which is fine, but we have to dh at least 500mi to get a load or sit for 2wks. I'm sure I don't have enough experience to know a good amount of 'hot spots' but excessive dh milage comes out of my pocket.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you may want to get back in a sprinter asap. better opportunity for freight. you might want to also consider getting with a dedicated company. one that has alot of sprinter freight. being new, you should have went with a good single company first then moved up to multiple companies one you got some time under your belt. yes this is the slow time but it will pick up.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know. I don't particularly like any of our companies. They seem keep us going to Arizona and Texas, which is fine, but we have to dh at least 500mi to get a load or sit for 2wks. I'm sure I don't have enough experience to know a good amount of 'hot spots' but excessive dh milage comes out of my pocket.

if allowed to by your vans owner.. Learn to say no. There is tons of freight going places none is coming out of. Anything west of the Mississippi is a crap shoot at best at getting something coming back.

in my experience, once dispatch learns your willing to go west of the Mississippi and dead head back... guess what keeps happening? they keep sending you that kind of work.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Sometimes I think the best way to do this business is to have a retirement income to supplement ur driving income and see the country so u dont have to worry about sitting and money, makes sense to me.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well, I started off in a sprinter. Now I'm in a cargo van temporarily until my company gets a few more sprinters.

OK please explain this to us, you started off in a sprinter but now in a van until your "company" gets another sprinter, are you an employee?

deamos88

Active Expediter
Yes, I am an employee. I started in a sprinter with my dad. We teamed up for a month so I could learn a bit of the ropes. Then, our boss wanted me to start running on my own and the only vehicle he had available immediatly was a cargo van. Idk. I'm 23yrs old, and don't have a lot of experience outside of fast-food, but I'm used to a steady pay check and work. I know some days I will work harder than others, and I'm fine with that. I'm just a little in little on the fritz with all the sitting and unreliability for work at the moment. Maybe it'll pick up and it'll be great. I'm just going to buy a ton of books to keep me occupied during down time.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So as an employee, you are paid by the hour or by the job or by the mile?

I would assume that regardless, your compensation for the deadhead is the same as the loaded compensation?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Learning patience is the hardest part of the job. Actually it's the only hard part of this job.

deamos88

Active Expediter
I'm paid by the job-30% of each load. All postage, envelopes, faxes, etc. comes out of my pocket. I do have to pay 15cents per mile on dh after 2,000 a month (unless approved for company paperwork or whatever) What hurts the most is I didn't have any money saved when I took on this journey into the unknown world of trucking.

Last edited: