Hello just another newbie

hanoki

Active Expediter
I am just about ready to jump into the expediting business with both feet. I hope to purchase a 2012 2500 series GMC Cargo Van and work for Panther as a single driver O/O. My concern is, quite frankly what kind of income should I expect per year gross. I realize that freight can be spotty at times where we have to sit days at a time for a load. Before I make the total plunge and being totally new I am concerned if I should do this or not.

I am pleased to find a forum that I can ask these type of questions and am looking for all the advice I can get. Thank you for any and all info.

I live in North Carolina near the South Carolina line on the Eastern side of the state am realize I am not in the shipping lanes. It is about 60 mile to rte I40 and 90 miles to I95. May you all stay safe and stay busy with lots of freight.

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
My recommendation is don't buy a new cargo van when you have zero experience. There is a high failure rate among new people entering the industry. Look at how many new threads are started and you never hear from people again. Its because they are too embarrassed to come back and say it didn't work out for me.

Please don't lose your shirt on a new 2012, starting off with a 2008 or 2009 van will be just as good and you won't depreciate as much if you decide the business isn't for you. Buying a 2012 is absolutely retarded imo when you can buy a brand new 2011 for minimum 5 grand less.

If you are throwing away that kind of money off the bat, your probably not going to succeed.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Look in Free Classifieds for a used\Pre owned Van already set up. SAVE YOUR MONEY:p

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It would be bad timing to jump into a new van now. By the time you get the van, got it setup, and went through orientation the busy time would be about half way done. I would either wait until next year or drive another person's van or Sprinter to see if it is something you will even like. At a minimum I would get a used van.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
always good to ask questions b 4 u jump. Unless ur daddy owns Panther and has promised u all the runs u can handle, go with the advice of the above posters, what they are telling u is the truth. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What they said and don't buy a 2500 series. Get an extended 3500 for this business.

hanoki

Active Expediter
I know you are right however all the used vans I've seen have high mileage 100,000 + that is why I was looking at new. The new 2500 series is a lot less expensive that the sprinters I have seen advertised and comparable to the used vans I have seen advertised. Perhaps there is a used van pool that I am not aware of somewhere out there. I will check the classifieds again and see if there is one already set up.

If you are one that is looking to sell your van PM me.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
100,000 is not hi mileage depending on how it was used. I bought a used "Iron Mountain" Ford E350 with well over that, and Im on my way to 500k... still runnin strong.

Dale

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In this business, it seems any van that can't get over 400K is a lemon. A 2008 with 180K is still a pup, believe it or not.

Right now, I've got a 1998 Chevy 2500 with 197,000 on it as I write this. It's got a few bugbears, but nothing you can't live with and the powerplant/tranny combo is strong. I expect to get a few hundred thousand more out of it before I have to take it out back of the barn and shoot it.

Buy a new 2012, and I can guarantee that between the truck payments and the gasoline that van will eat you alive. There'll be barely enough left to eat, to say nothing of trying to pay any other bills.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Aswas pointed out, if you buy a new van and are making payments, along with all of the other fixed expenses, unless you put a bunch down to lower the payment, chnces are we will be seeing a van for sale...

Now as for a used van, 100,000 is not alot of miles for a van in this industry...Buy i have that has already been used in this industry and is for sale as alot of advantages over buying a new or used van else where....A van that has been used to expedite, chance are is already "setup"...it will have e-track, straps, other cargo containment devises...i mght have a bunk area, AC to keep it cool without idling...in other words, chances are it will be a "turn key" unit ready to go to work..buy a new or used van that had not been used in the industry, and "Setting" it up now becomes expense over and above the purchase of the van...

Now, I don't know this owner at all, have never talk to him or had any contact with him other then reading his post here on EO. If i was in need ofanother van, I would buy this van without any hesitation at all (after having it checked out)..the price is not bad, t is STILL in service and it is ready to go. Give it a look, the miles would not concern me at all....

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cla...2147/2008-Chevolet-Express-3500-Cube-van.html

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Love that setup. My next one... I wanna be able to stand up!

Dale

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Love that setup. My next one... I wanna be able to stand up!

Dale

Aren't you taller than the Jolly Green Giant? I'm 6'1" and I don't think I came up to your shoulders.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Aren't you taller than the Jolly Green Giant? I'm 6'1" and I don't think I came up to your shoulders.

jlvn398l.jpg