Hello from Las Vegas

Readytago

Active Expediter
Hello all,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello and introduce ourselves. My wife and I have decided to get into the trucking business. My wife has been in the beauty service industry for about 10 yrs and makes very very good money. Me, I have been in the food and beverage hospitality industry for over 30 years and had a very successful career.

We have decided to Trucking businesss is the next chapter of our life adventure. I think expediting is what we will be doing as husband and wife team. We do have a couple of questions if we may?

First, do you think CDL B for both of us is sufficient? Or should I or both get CDL A?

Second, should I get my CDL A then get at least 6 months experience then my wife will join me and make switch to Expediting.

We have read Josh’s Nervous newbie thread and watch many expediter bloggers on YouTube. Any advice would be welcome. Again, Hello.

Reactions: Moot

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends on what you plan on driving. For Straight truck, B is all you really need. A for T/T.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If i may, why expediting?
Seems like an unusual first choice for rookies in trucking.

Readytago

Active Expediter
Based on everything I have read and watched, it seems to fit what we want to do. Ie. smaller loads, more team oriented, larger sleepers, out for longer periods of time, etc. maybe our thinking is wrong but I think we can be more successful in expediting than TT work. We don’t have any experience to base this on except what I have read and watched so it might change

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think you’re right on track.
Unless you NEED steady income.

And as hot as freight is right now for straights, even a rookie team will probably do pretty good if you’re with a decent carrier.

Readytago

Active Expediter
We are already searching for insurance. We know that most likely be paid 1099. Any suggestion on that would be helpful also since we will be on the road.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it's a logical first choice, especially for a same household team with past careers. Straight truck, automatic transmission, power steering large sleeper etc.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it's a logical first choice, especially for a same household team with past careers. Straight truck, automatic transmission, power steering large sleeper etc.
To you and me, it makes sense. But for first timers wanting to become "truckers"?

Hello all,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello and introduce ourselves. My wife and I have decided to get into the trucking business.

Readytago

Active Expediter
So are you saying my logical thinking is incorrect? Is Expediting not considered trucking? I think there is many facets of the trucking industry and expediting is just one of them. I don’t think you can be successful without narrowing your focus. If I am incorrect, please explain.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rags, some of the best straight teams couldn’t make it in TT.
So, they’ll tell you they didn’t like it.
Which is okay.
These people are just avoiding that embarrassing first step.
Seems like a smart move to me.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some people say it’s not real Trucking.
It is.
Not as hard as we had it back in the 60’s with 2 stick transmissions, no power steering, before reliable ac.
As you navigate through NYC, or across a frozen interstate if only to find an almost safe place to ride out the storm, you’ll feel like a real trucker.
Most days, in today’s equipment, you’ll feel like an RVer.

If I open a bottle of VO, I may tell you about van drivers later.
Probably not.,

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So are you saying my logical thinking is incorrect? Is Expediting not considered trucking?
No, im not saying that at all, just curious. Most first timers gravitate towards the general freight, constantly moving lifestyle, and don't realize the amount of sitting waiting for a load in expediting.

Is Expediting not considered trucking?
It most certainly is.

It sounds like you've done your homework and know what you want. I wish you the best of luck.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Readytago, You’ve asked a great question about A or B and have received some good advice and well wishes from our fellow EOers so I’ll toss in another opinion. In that you Haven’t specified a preference for a truck type, I think you and your wife will be happier in a straight truck than a tractor/trailer because of your lack of trucking experience. If you do choose the TT route, you’ll find it to be quite a challenge to find an expedite carrier that will allow you to sign on with no recent TT experience. Even more so, I believe, you’ll be less likely to find an owner in expedite that will give you the keys to a truck. There are nearly unlimited opportunities to start immediately in a straight truck with many owners and carriers that advertise here and in the free classifieds. Whether you are in the food and beverage business, the beauty industry or trucking, a proper education on your chosen profession is essential for success. With the proper preparation, You will have many opportunities to have a profitable career in expediting. Without the proper preparation in this heavily regulated field, you’ll have many challenges to limit your profitability. I spent my last 9 years of a 28 year expedite career in the truck safety arena. I saw many dozens of owners and drivers fail in one way or another because they either were unfamiliar with federal and state safety regulations or chose to NOT observe some of the more important ones. As part of your preparation, I suggest that you google Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, or FMCSR part 393. In this section you’ll find information about a driver’s responsibility to be familiar with everything from Air Brakes to Working Load Limits. This information will be necessary for you to perform a proper Pre-trip and post trip inspection. Also, you can find dozens of YouTube videos that demonstrate how to perform a proper inspection. These inspections are not something to fear but something a true professional driver will perform on every occasion required. You will soon observe the the greatest majority of CMV drivers do not perform a proper inspection and these are the drivers that receive Out of Service Orders and/or heavy fines from the DOT. I trust I’ve given you some meaningful food for thought as you embark on a new chapter in your lives.

Last edited:

Readytago

Active Expediter
Thank you so much for responding to my initial inquiry. I agree with you 100% that I need to know the regulations inside and out. Being successful is what ever you do does require knowledge. From reading everything I come across about this industry, I have to agree with you that the TT route will be more difficult to find an owner with us not having experience.

At first, I was going to get my CDL A and be a company driver for a year then my wife would join me and move into Expediting. But after some discussion, that plan would have my wife be on her own weeks at a time while I am on the road. So we made a decision to revise our plan.

That being said, I think the best option for our next move is for me to go to school to get my CDL A. That way, I can get help with learning the regulations. Even if I do not drive a TT, I think it might come in handy later. Time to push forward. Thank you for your comment. It confirms what we have been discussing.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you so much for responding to my initial inquiry. I agree with you 100% that I need to know the regulations inside and out. Being successful is what ever you do does require knowledge. From reading everything I come across about this industry, I have to agree with you that the TT route will be more difficult to find an owner with us not having experience.

At first, I was going to get my CDL A and be a company driver for a year then my wife would join me and move into Expediting. But after some discussion, that plan would have my wife be on her own weeks at a time while I am on the road. So we made a decision to revise our plan.

That being said, I think the best option for our next move is for me to go to school to get my CDL A. That way, I can get help with learning the regulations. Even if I do not drive a TT, I think it might come in handy later. Time to push forward. Thank you for your comment. It confirms what we have been discussing.
Here's a thought. Get your cdl A through a driving school. After school or during they usually will bring in trucking companies that are looking for drivers. When you find the right one they will hire you on and pay for your schooling but here is the kicker, usually you have stay on with them for a year and then you can leave otherwise you end up paying for the schooling. This may work out and it may not depending on your situation. Just my two cents.