Health Insurance for Expediters; What do You See?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We DID have good, usable, affordable health care PRIOR to Obama Care. We were lied too, we are NOT allowed to keep plans that we have now and like.

Our current premium is $287 per month, $2500 deductible. NOW we are seeing rates closer to $660 per month for a HIGHER deductible and less usable coverage. Out of pocket for the new plan is almost $14,000, BEFORE any benefit is seen.

It covers things we don't need, maternity, new born care, pediatric vision and almost nothing we DO need until the 14 grand is spent.

Before anyone says it is "real" insurance, take a REALLY good look at it. VERY few Obama Care plans we have seen, in Michigan, cover ANYTHING until the ENTIRE deductible is met.

READ THE VERY FINE PRINT! MOST OF THESE PLANS ARE DESIGNED TO INCREASE THE PROFITS OF INSURANCE COMPANIES, SUBSIDIZE THOSE WHO WON'T PAY THEIR OWN BILLS, ALL AT THE EXPENSE OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE THEIR ENTIRE LIVES. THIS IS A RIP OFF ON A GRAND SCALE.

As it stands now, we can no longer afford health insurance. Even IF we stop making our quarterly FICA/MEDICARE payments. The MINIMUM 131% increase in premiums alone has put insurance out of our ability to pay. We would do better on welfare than if we continue to work. Good system.

note: all numbers quoted above are for an individual, NOT a family.

Last edited:

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
With regards to fines/penalty as it is currently written, they can't come after you to pay it or charge any interest on a balance due amount. That in the future may change, but not in its current language.
They can take it out IF in any circumstance they pay you a refund.
If you never have a refund and have to pay every year, they can't demand you pay it.
Of course they don't want you to know that.

I've read a lot about this recently (Google "aca fine tax refund"). If one is content continuing to pay cash for their health expenses, as we are, and able to carefully project their tax burden to avoid a refund situation, the law as currently written prevents the IRS from collecting that fine in a manner other than deducting it from your refund.

I must admit, that appeals to the rebel in me for a few different reasons.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This is basically a redistribution of wealth in response to Phil & Joe. You will be paying insurance for the takers with your new premiums. As Joe posted, he will make monthly premium payments for the poor and then pay his services out of pocket until he hits 14k which is his deductible.
Better make sure you have a multi-state policy or you will pay for any services if away from home or pay much more for "out of network" services.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Anybody with a good family plan want to adopt a sixty year old fat white kid ?
I can cut grass and willing to go back to skool.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You can buy outside of the exchanges but those policies for 2014 have to have all the Obamacare goodies in them. If not, you can still purchase but will have the Obama "tax" to contend with because you didn't purchase a "qualifying" plan.

It is just such a complicated mess that didn't have to be this difficult. Instead of letting people just shop for insurance in another state which would actually cause prices to come down and people would buy it because it would be more affordable they decided Obamacare was the better route. If there was concern about people with pre-existing conditions then they should have focused the law on that. Now we have the choice of insurance plans which are going up and people can't keep the plans that worked for them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Anybody with a good family plan want to adopt a sixty year old fat white kid ?
I can cut grass and willing to go back to skool.

Don't laugh....that is basically what this is. A family of say 4 that has health insurance, will be paying for health care for say three families. Remember..."It takes a Village". When the family decides they don't want to pay, they of course have to provide through a penalty plus still pay for their own.
Ultimately this will turn in to a single payer system and we will be paying for it through the tax system. They have already said that is what they want to do.
Oh....and if you remember, I said immigration was up next. Just this week Obama is on it. They want it done before 16
Think those rates are high now, wait until we have to cover 11 million illegals that want their free health care.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I guess on the funny side, the very people that voted for Obama (the young college kids), are the ones they want to pay for insurance for the plan to be viable. Somebody has to pay for the old folks and people with pre-existing conditions. They all voted for this clown and only now are they getting a wake up call. Ok....maybe not yet. They can't get on the broken site yet. :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is just such a complicated mess that didn't have to be this difficult. Instead of letting people just shop for insurance in another state which would actually cause prices to come down and people would buy it because it would be more affordable they decided Obamacare was the better route. If there was concern about people with pre-existing conditions then they should have focused the law on that. Now we have the choice of insurance plans which are going up and people can't keep the plans that worked for them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

They don't want it to work. This is ONLY a step to total government controlled health care. You have not seen taxes yet until that happens. We will soon see a MINIMUM 50% FEDERAL income tax, a "VAT" and tons of other "stealth" taxes.

This is ALL designed to keep us in our place, under control, and the "goodies" reserved or restricted for the "elite" and "super rich" ruling class. There will be a separate "system" for THEIR health care.

A "National Heath System" it the "Ultimate" control vehicle which is EXACTLY what they are after. Once they have control over THAT much of the economy they control your every move. ALL the things they wish to outlaw, or control, they will do so under the guise that the offended, "items" or "actions", are costing "National Health" too much, SO, out law or tax the crap out of them. Get ready for long waiting lists and rationing as well.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Ah yes, the good ol' days. When finding a lump somewhere would lead to an "insurance" cancellation and bankruptcy. Can't we find some way to turn back the clock? :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ah yes, the good ol' days. When finding a lump somewhere would lead to an "insurance" cancellation and bankruptcy. Can't we find some way to turn back the clock? :)

Yeah, I would LOVE to turn it back. We have had coverage for over 40 years. NEVER had it cancelled, no matter what. NOW? NOTHING. Can't afford it. It's health insurance or make the house payments. The 'lump' under today's policies would not be covered until one shells out 14 grand. IF they have it.

Bankruptcy? More now than before. MILLIONS more.

Better read past the FRONT PAGE on those policies. Get back onto page 4 and 5 in the small print, it is VERY scary.

Yeah, this is a "much better" system. 131% increases for far less coverage and coverage that is not needed being forced, by the full power of the Federal Government, on those who don't need it.

Health care enforced by an armed agency of the federal government. Good idea.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I asked above, what is your strategy? As mentioned above, ours is to continue paying for insurance at the higher price because we want the kind of coverage we now have.

There is another strategy item too. While it is by no means a solution to increasing insurance costs and a government-mandated insurance system that produces more questions than answers and more worry than comfort, it is a solution that is wise on its face and good for its own sake. The solution is simply to live a healthier lifestyle and get and stay in shape.

While there are no guarantees, living healthy reduces the likelihood that expensive health care will be needed. And at a more basic level, it simply feels good to feel good.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Any Phil-anthropists willing to give truck driver's free gym memberships?

It feels good to help people feel good.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I asked above, what is your strategy? As mentioned above, ours is to continue paying for insurance at the higher price because we want the kind of coverage we now have.

There is another strategy item too. While it is by no means a solution to increasing insurance costs and a government-mandated insurance system that produces more questions than answers and more worry than comfort, it is a solution that is wise on its face and good for its own sake. The solution is simply to live a healthier lifestyle and get and stay in shape.

While there are no guarantees, living healthy reduces the likelihood that expensive health care will be needed. And at a more basic level, it simply feels good to feel good.

Strategy? At this point we have none. We have found no good viable options. We continue to search.

It is true, living a healthy lifestyle can reduce the need for health care. That however has nothing to do with the fact that the government is now in control of the health insurance industry. It does not change the fact that the government is not capable of running it. It does not change the fact that costs are going up drastically due to government controls. It does not change the fact that there are fewer choices out there and those choices are not as good as what was once available.

In most states there were, prior to Obama Care, affordable health insurance plans. I contend that most who did not have it did not have it by choice. OR, they were too lazy or too dependent to do the research needed to find it. Far too many in this country have accepted the idea that they are not able to fend for themselves and need cared for.

I know that most of us could use more gym time, many of us could use a LOT more gym time. That won't solve the health insurance problem.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our strategy: I get full VA benefits. Shayne says she will pay the fine.
Maybe if no one signs up it will go away?

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I'm a veteran but have never looked into VA health care benefits. How do they work? What is involved? What is covered?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I was 20 years old I had Health Ins. All you had to do was pay for it. My 3 sons cost zero dollars when they were born. Everything was paid. Cost for 5 people was $75.00 a month in the 90's. $10.00 office visit, $5.00 for RX. (all brands) In 2003 if I wanted to keep it, it was $1,800.00 per month for 3. Now for 2 it is $500.00 every 3 months with a $2,500 out of pocket, up to $5,000 family.

Now we are being forced to cover things we don't need, maternity, new born care, pediatric vision, we cover those for the one's that can't or will not get their own.
If you opt to pay the fine, now you will have to pay all cost out of pocket, no more write offs if you are unable to pay. A short stay in the hospital will, well, remember- The IRS is managing this crap...... Liens on bank accounts, homes, anything you have will be gone. The IRS is the only ones that CAN get Blood out of a rock.....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm a veteran but have never looked into VA health care benefits. How do they work? What is involved? What is covered?

Stop by any VA medical facility and ask them to check and see if you have any benefits available. I was eligible for full medical for 25 years after being discharged and never knew it.
Mine was based on an injury sustained while on active duty.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I am not criticizing the strategy but am interested in knowing how it will actually work. If Shayne does not pay for coverage and pays the fine instead, what will happen if she becomes ill and hospitalized and thereby generates say a $200,000 hospital bill? Who will pay or absorb the cost of that $200,000?

Last edited: