Health Insurance for Expediters; What do You See?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with this. Living in NYS buying 3rd party insurance was almost next to impossible. I finally found a company out of Pittsburgh that would write a policy for me that had had both emergency medical & office visits, Specialtly procedures & dental. The major medical & dental was what I really wanted. The ofice visit & scrips weren't very good. It would only cover about 20%. But the rates were excellent for me.

While I had the policy when I did go to the Dr. I would still self pay out of pocket up to $100 & any scrips I needed I would self pay as well. I did this because I was so worried about being droped if I used it for somthing that was minor. Insurance company's have long memories & short leashes

Once Obama started pushing the afforable care act my insurance company stopped offering coverage in NY state & I was droped.

Looking at exchange. The coverage is MEH at best, higher monthly cost, deductibles that are insanely high & I get no subsity. So bascially i am ****ed.

My chick who has had female issues in the past & has had several cancer scares has seen her employer over the past 2 discontinue paying 100% of her insurance. She is now paying 60% of her yealry premium, which comes out to just under $800 a month for her & our son. During those 2 years she has seen her premium go up about $200 a month. Which is why she is now paying 60% of her premium. Her boss didn't absorb the increases.

Between her medical precedures while she was pregneant & the actual birth of our Son it cost us almost $15000 out of pocket.

Universal healthcare is a great idea. But the way it's set up now wasn't very well thought out.

I was looking at the exchange....but Blue Cross gave me a better deal....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not defending Obamacare, [I plan to continue paying cash as I go for medical expenses, as the fine is and will be for years, less expensive than the plans I've seen] but I understood the premise to be that enrolling younger and healthier people would drive costs down. If it does, that wouldn't be clear for awhile yet.
Also: did the analysis include the subsidies offered for consumers?
I fail to see how health insurance lowers the costs for anyone, unless they have chronic or major medical bills. Having neither, I opt to pay the fine instead. If enough people do that, the message will be clear: health insurance is not affordable, unless you make a lot of money.

PS Health insurance isn't always what it's cracked up to be: my first pregnancy, the insurance paid exactly what the doctor charged, leaving the hospital and all other bills to be paid out of pocket. And the premiums I'd paid in amounted to 5 times what they paid on my behalf. Some deal, eh? I think insurance benefits the insurance companies, and the health care providers, but the patients: not so much.

Cheri I would get a hard number on the tax you will owe. Not a fine as the Obama lawyers argued and majority of the supreme court both stated it was a tax. I have heard for many the tax is much larger than advertised previously.

I think under the new law the insurance companies are forced to spend something like 90% of what they gross. Might be wrong but seems I heard that and if true it is just one more thing wrong with the law.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was looking at the exchange....but Blue Cross gave me a better deal....

To bad the law wasn't something basic and simple like allowing people to purchase their insurance from other states. I think most of the lower population states are going to run into problems with having affordable insurance because there isn't enough competition.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To bad the law wasn't something basic and simple like allowing people to purchase their insurance from other states. I think most of the lower population states are going to run into problems with having affordable insurance because there isn't enough competition.

but you can....I bought mine on the open market...NOT marketplace....now according to my agent Marketplace forces insurance carriers to charge an extra 6% on the policies just for being part of the Marketplace....a reason Wellmark/BlueCross isn't listed with them....IF people are not looking for some kind of income reduction due to low income then the Marketplace is the last place to shop....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Blue Cross is one of the largest underwriters in the exchanges. Plans that didn't meet the guidelines were cancelled, but they are writing approved plans, but of course they cost more.
They are saying some rural areas only have one or two plans to chose from. So much for competition.
On a side note, many plans are not "multi state" policies. Better make sure you are if you are in expediting.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Blue Cross is one of the largest underwriters in the exchanges. Plans that didn't meet the guidelines were cancelled, but they are writing approved plans, but of course they cost more.
They are saying some rural areas only have one or two plans to chose from. So much for competition.
On a side note, many plans are not "multi state" policies. Better make sure you are if you are in expediting.

I got my plan outside of the "Marketplace"....

On a side note...I checked one provider and they did only eastern SD where all the people are....I guess its a numbers game....they offered nothing in spares areas...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

But Dave.....a person doesn't need to do "Marketplace" unless they think they'll qualify for government subsidies....you can still shop around.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
but you can....I bought mine on the open market...NOT marketplace....now according to my agent Marketplace forces insurance carriers to charge an extra 6% on the policies just for being part of the Marketplace....a reason Wellmark/BlueCross isn't listed with them....IF people are not looking for some kind of income reduction due to low income then the Marketplace is the last place to shop....

From what I understand I can't just buy my insurance through BCBS at the same rate as a TN resident since I live in NY, that is why there are individual state exchanges.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just applied for health insurance here in California and I qualify for Medical. I haven't had much of a taxable income in the past 11 months. This might be a good thing because there seems to be quite a few doctors in my area who take the government insurance. I'll let you guys know how good it is when I receive my first treatment in January. I won't be back out on the road until April 1st any how, so that gives me more than enough time to get some treatment before I return to work. And seeing as I will write off most of my taxable income for 2014 - I will still be elligible for the free healthcare. It looks like being a lowly cargo van driver now has it's advantages. Who ever said that driving a van was all that bad. I'll be buying my van in the next few weeks and taking my time outfitting it with a bunk, rooftop A/C unit, a permanently mounted generator, and a cattle guard. This time I'm gonna have all of the amenities!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is just about free for us CVers....the qualifying rate is like 2x's the poverty level...basically a CVer should qualify for the "Free" option....

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Wife needs coverage, so when her PCIP ends this year, will be forced to the exchanges. Me, to heck with insurance for now. My first visit to the healthcare.gov website gave me the feeling as though I was being sold a lemon by the little ole lady in Mayberry with words like, "great news", "affordable", "free" (which I heard they removed the last term). GIVE ME A BREAK!

When picking your plan, you better make sure it is a plan that allows you to avoid the fine, like Dave said, have to have all the BS coverage you don't need in order for it to be "qualified" coverage. HOw many insurance salespeople are going to be honest with you about that little requirement?

The Unafordable health plan, Obamadon'tcare, whatever you call it, will not work in a million years. Why? Think about it, every and anything the gov't touches cost billions to trillions and does not work. Think about when they have to start accounting for your premiums, not to mention paying out claims properly, heck, they can't even figure out how to sign you up without a bunch glitches w/ an estimated cost ballooning out of control. Oh yeah, and the IRS (or at least the some 90,000 new employees we have to pay for out of our pockets) are supposed to be in charge of enforcing the fines if you do not comply. A real good plan for America, yeah right........If they would have just left it alone and allowed the competition of the free market to sell plans we want across state lines, and keep the insurance companies privatized, where real people with private industry American jobs make things work as they do best (and not working for the administration living in gov't housing living on the gov't dole and forcing us into something we don't want). I just saw a headline that read there are now more people loosing coverage then there are signing up. Do you really think the young and healthy are going to send there hard earned burger flipping money to buy health insurance? instead of the old hoopty they've had there eye on for their first fixer-upper. Come on Washington, get real. A one payer system is not the way, just ask the countries that have it now.

OK, off my soap box, hope I didn't derail this thread too much.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I understand I can't just buy my insurance through BCBS at the same rate as a TN resident since I live in NY, that is why there are individual state exchanges.

you were looking for equality?.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wife needs coverage, so when her PCIP ends this year, will be forced to the exchanges. Me, to heck with insurance for now. My first visit to the healthcare.gov website gave me the feeling as though I was being sold a lemon by the little ole lady in Mayberry with words like, "great news", "affordable", "free" (which I heard they removed the last term). GIVE ME A BREAK!

When picking your plan, you better make sure it is a plan that allows you to avoid the fine, like Dave said, have to have all the BS coverage you don't need in order for it to be "qualified" coverage. HOw many insurance salespeople are going to be honest with you about that little requirement?

The Unafordable health plan, Obamadon'tcare, whatever you call it, will not work in a million years. Why? Think about it, every and anything the gov't touches cost billions to trillions and does not work. Think about when they have to start accounting for your premiums, not to mention paying out claims properly, heck, they can't even figure out how to sign you up without a bunch glitches w/ an estimated cost ballooning out of control. Oh yeah, and the IRS (or at least the some 90,000 new employees we have to pay for out of our pockets) are supposed to be in charge of enforcing the fines if you do not comply. A real good plan for America, yeah right........If they would have just left it alone and allowed the competition of the free market to sell plans we want across state lines, and keep the insurance companies privatized, where real people with private industry American jobs make things work as they do best (and not working for the administration living in gov't housing living on the gov't dole and forcing us into something we don't want). I just saw a headline that read there are now more people loosing coverage then there are signing up. Do you really think the young and healthy are going to send there hard earned burger flipping money to buy health insurance? instead of the old hoopty they've had there eye on for their first fixer-upper. Come on Washington, get real. A one payer system is not the way, just ask the countries that have it now.

OK, off my soap box, hope I didn't derail this thread too much.

My present coverage is PCIP as well....that is why I had to go shopping...

BTW...the burger flippers will get the "FREE" healthcare while others will subsidize them....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some things are misleading. Part of the reason they wanted you to sign up before you could shop the exchanges. Many will see a cheaper rate of say 350 a month, but that is for only 2013. When you have to cover in 2014 all the extras you won't ever use, that rate basically doubles. Including of course, the deductibles.
With regards to fines/penalty as it is currently written, they can't come after you to pay it or charge any interest on a balance due amount. That in the future may change, but not in its current language.
They can take it out IF in any circumstance they pay you a refund.
If you never have a refund and have to pay every year, they can't demand you pay it.
Of course they don't want you to know that.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It is just about free for us CVers....the qualifying rate is like 2x's the poverty level...basically a CVer should qualify for the "Free" option....

Good Lord, I'm going to have to get back in the CV so I can get a raise.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can buy outside of the exchanges but those policies for 2014 have to have all the Obamacare goodies in them. If not, you can still purchase but will have the Obama "tax" to contend with because you didn't purchase a "qualifying" plan.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As some have mentioned in this thread, I see a number of expediters getting health insurance who did not have it before, because, before, it was too expensive or they had preexisting conditions. I also see expediters who earn good money dropping their health insurance because the price of it is skyrocketing (as has been reported in this thread).

By the hundreds of thousands, if not by the millions, people who could not afford health insurance before or who could not get it because of preexisting conditions will rush in to get it now. And I do not blame them a bit.

It is no fun to go through life in fear of a major medical expense that might wipe you out. It is less fun to not go to the doctor when you need to because you cannot afford the visit. And it is even less fun to watch a treatable condition progress in your body until it becomes life-threatening, again because you could not afford to seek treatment. So, if you are in that situation, of course you will enroll for the now-available coverage.

But where will the money come from to pay for the very expensive treatments the newly-insured will require? Insurance companies are now required to accept all comers and pay the claims of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people who were not on the books before.

Where will the money come from to pay those claims? It's not like hospitals and clinics are reducing their prices ($4 for a dixie cup, $6 for a Band-Aid). The first answer is evident in what has been reported in this thread. People who pay for their insurance now are seeing prices spike. But how long can that go on before the premium-paying customers stop paying because it is just too much? And when they do, where does the money come from then?

Yes, the theory is that additional healthy people will buy insurance who chose to go without it before, but the same fact applies, does it not? Will their rates not also skyrocket as the claims of the previously uninsured come pouring in? Many of the previously uninsured were denied by insurance companies before because their unhealthy lifestyles and bodies would produce huge claims in the near if not distant future.

Even now, we see healthy people opting to pay the fine instead of buying the required insurance (also mentioned in this thread). And why shouldn't they? It is cheaper to pay the fine than it is to buy the required insurance. With the preexisting conditions ban lifted, is not the smart move to go without insurance until you need it, and literally sign up for it after the need for treatment develops?

How can such a system last when the money is so out of whack? Am I missing something? What will develop in the future that will make this plan work and allow the newly-insured to keep their benefits while people who enjoy a reasonable income do not get priced out of the health insurance market?

Last edited: