Health Care Premiums to Jump 20-54%

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I do agree with Cheri, ( imagine that. lol) that Ocare is a gift to the insurance companies. Only now is the reality setting in. We have a clinic in the family and what was warned about, is now upon us. From the medical clinic standpoint, we have now turned away medicare and Medicaid patients if they are new. No profit and actually has turned into a loss to treat the existing customers.
I will call it number two. Many come in with all kind of ailments and once past the preventive care, they are shocked that they virtually have no coverage unless they come up with the deductible.
Thinking it is all free until they have to pay something. Even though they get the subsidies. The look on peoples faces would just amaze you. Yep, Ocare is a train wreck and people only now are starting to realize it.
Keep your doctor and save at least $2500 a year. If it wasn't the government, it would be fraud.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not really. Within the context of what they are reporting, their numbers are accurate. But they are using numbers for 2016 that aren't even officially requested yet, much less approved, and even at that they are the minimal projected requests, not what they are likely to be. Also, that same link is in the article I posted, and it notes that those "modest" numbers are only for those willing to switch plans, with no guarantee of keeping their doctor, and the low plans they compare are the ones where they have a more limited choice of doctors and hospitals. Plus, the 11 cities studied aren't really representative of the ACA as a whole, or even the states in which they reside. At least the studies they did in 2013 and 2014 showed all 50 states. Not only that, but they use as the benchmark two separate marks, that of a single, 40 year old male smoker, and the same as a non-smoker, each making $30,000 a year, which isn't exactly the typical insured, and they focus on second-to-lowest silver plan because on that plan a 40 year old single male making $30,000 a year has the lowest subsidy change of any age or income group. A table showing a wide range of ages and income ranges would give a more accurate and honest picture of what is really happening with the ACA and the cost of premiums. Even at the $30,000 benchmark, the numbers vary greatly if you are 30 or 50, and even moreso if you are female.

I meant that I carefully selected them. Hook, line, caught a fishy :)