Health Care Premiums to Jump 20-54%

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just as predicted, the healthcare insurers are now saying that because of the influx of previously uninsured people, who are all sicker than they expected, and not enough young healthy people willing to throw good money away, they're gonna have to raise the premiums by a lot. A really, really lot.

President Obama's response is almost comical. You know that guy, he's the one that Obamacare is named for, and the one who said health insurance was gonna be cheaper under the Affordable Care Act. He suggested consumers should put pressure on state insurance regulators to scrutinize the proposed rate increases. No, seriously, he said that. He said it in Tennessee while lobbying some of the states to increase coverage to care for more poor people, most of whom, of course, will also be sicker than expected.

Heathcare insurers have been banging the Obamacare drum every since 2010, and they're banging it even harder now. This, despite the fact that their stocks continue to perform ahead of other sectors and they continue to show increased profits. Obamacare was supposed to rein in the exorbitant costs of medical tests and procedures in the US, and make everyone's medical costs cheaper. Instead, Obamacare is a gift to the healthcare and health insurance industries, to be paid for by working middle class Americans who don't qualify for taxpayer subsidies. The Richie Rich and Scrooge McDuck folks are self-insured, anyway, so they aren't gonna take out any policies. Obamacare now continues and increases the economic hold of the healthcare industry over Americans, and may threaten the long-term health of our economy as the %GDP we spend on health care continues to rise.

The Affordable Care Act has already been an abysmal disaster (a Charlie Foxtrot is what it is) and the deeper we get into it the the worse it becomes.

Health Insurance Companies Seek Big Rate Increases for 2016

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Can't afford it, monthly premiums almost as much as my mortgage, deductible more than the cost of one a/c unit. The lovers of O Care are like Ginger Lee (Weiner Anthony) has a small bizness and free healthcare.. Thinking maybe she is smarter than I. http://www.missgingerlee.com/

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm surprised there haven't been any major incidences over this yet. It shouldn't come as any surprise when there are. It's an extreme shame Obama's mama wasn't a baby murderer. That was one time an exception should have been allowed.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That can't be true, because the media said that Trump didn't know what he was talking about :rolleyes:

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Yep mine all ready increased 30% now it's going to jump again maybe it's time to become unplayable don't pay taxes and live of the system. But then I wouldn't be a man.

Reactions: mrgoodtude

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's an extreme shame Obama's mama wasn't a baby murderer. That was one time an exception should have been allowed.
Niiiiiiice! Coming from the mouth of our right to life advocate. its ashame

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just as predicted, the healthcare insurers are now saying that because of the influx of previously uninsured people, who are all sicker than they expected, and not enough young healthy people willing to throw good money away, they're gonna have to raise the premiums by a lot. A really, really lot.

Health Insurance Companies Seek Big Rate Increases for 2016
Our family can offer first hand testimony to this disaster. My wife signed up for a basic Obama marketplace policy - not a Cadillac one mind you - about fourteen months ago. She had knee surgery about six months later and her premiums immediately tripled. But wait...there's more! Back in January I got a part time job working two or three days a week, mainly to get me out of the house (definitely not for the money). Last week she got a notice that her premiums will quintuple.:eek: When she called for an explanation (it took six tries to actually talk to a living person), some clueless flunkie told her the increase was because our income was more than what we estimated when she originally signed up. Needless to say, we have dumped Obamacare and will wait until Oct when she's eligible for Medicare - if it still exists. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what the BS stands for in BCBS.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey America, how bout that wealth spreading?
dU0pusDPRPyc790z-C4YmQ1.jpeg

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Oil lobby has been replaced by the health insurance establishment, thanks to Obamacare. The only problem is the healthcare profits are based on a false foundation. Soon after Obama is out of office the public wrath will be directed at Blue Cross instead of BP.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That it's a gift to the insurance industry is precisely what I said a long time ago. The power enjoyed by the insurance industries in the US is easily seen by both the seat belt and helmet laws, so it wasn't a surprise, but that doesn't make it any easier to take.
I'll pay the fine, myself.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not fair using facts. You'll just confuse the people who already know it all.
Carefully selected facts, however. The Kaiser Family Foundation claims to be centrist and non-partisan, yet fully 98% of every political donation they have ever made has gone to democrats.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You wildly overstate the reality.
Not really. Within the context of what they are reporting, their numbers are accurate. But they are using numbers for 2016 that aren't even officially requested yet, much less approved, and even at that they are the minimal projected requests, not what they are likely to be. Also, that same link is in the article I posted, and it notes that those "modest" numbers are only for those willing to switch plans, with no guarantee of keeping their doctor, and the low plans they compare are the ones where they have a more limited choice of doctors and hospitals. Plus, the 11 cities studied aren't really representative of the ACA as a whole, or even the states in which they reside. At least the studies they did in 2013 and 2014 showed all 50 states. Not only that, but they use as the benchmark two separate marks, that of a single, 40 year old male smoker, and the same as a non-smoker, each making $30,000 a year, which isn't exactly the typical insured, and they focus on second-to-lowest silver plan because on that plan a 40 year old single male making $30,000 a year has the lowest subsidy change of any age or income group. A table showing a wide range of ages and income ranges would give a more accurate and honest picture of what is really happening with the ACA and the cost of premiums. Even at the $30,000 benchmark, the numbers vary greatly if you are 30 or 50, and even moreso if you are female.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Oil is money and Money is oil, gets me from 8mos till death do us part. Called Capitalism I thinks.. I hate that my grand-kids have to deal this crap tho. Fractal world and Mother nature don't like it.