Heads up if you're going to Ky next few days

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure they are being forced off 71 not sure by how it reads.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like they are strongly suggesting it, but not forcing a re-route.

That would contribute to the congestion, to be waving commercial vehicles off, though that would have to happen all the way back in Louisville or all the way up near Florence at the 71-75 split. Adds a few miles to reroute through Lexington.

KY Speedway is in Gallatin Cty, much closer to Cinti, up around Sparta -Warsaw and Rt 42.

I've never heard of them doing that before, but that doesn't mean they haven't.

Sure is good to know, though.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They never did it before, but they certainly should have. Last year wasn't so bad...

Traffic-not-an-issue-at-Kentucky-Speedway-IT1PGDAV-x-large.jpg

... but any traffic other than race traffic they can divert the better.

Two years ago when the Kentucky Speedway had its inaugural NASCA event, between the mismanaged and inadequate parking and the construction on I-71 that failed to be completed on time, more than 10,000 race fans were still sitting on the Interstate when the race ended. Add to that the accident at the beginning of the construction on the northbound side that I was caught in for 7 hours, and it was a real mess. NASCAR almost didn't come back.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's actually not a bad idea, being proactive when heavy traffic is expected - I'd rather detour/reroute than crawl in stop & go, but when you're not local, you probably didn't know about the event.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Was in Kentucky last year around the race...yuck! It was a pain not because of traffic but because of all the drunks at the truck stop! People losing their lunch, etc...I'll pass! :D

)0( Nasmaste )0(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Was in Kentucky last year around the race...yuck! It was a pain not because of traffic but because of all the drunks at the truck stop! People losing their lunch, etc...I'll pass! :D

)0( Nasmaste )0(

There certainly a LOT of drunks around NASCAR races to be sure Cabela's sponsored a race at Michigan every year I worked there. I HATED race weekends. They even ran a shuttle bus to and from the store to the track.

It was the norm to see race fans drinking in the store, why this was even allowed I don't know, and for some strange reason many fans found it funny to use $100, or more, boots as spittoons. The floor was quite handy for spitting juice on as well.

We did get increased traffic during Indy car races but did not see the scuz factor that came with NASCAR races.

Thanks for the heads up on this, looks like a good area to avoid this weekend.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
During the years I lived in Daytona Beach, I worked at Volusia Mall, directly across the street from the race track.
I'm familiar with the headaches of race traffic, and would just as soon avoid it.
;)
there's a lot of huge events over the summer that cause traffic jams, I hope those with foreknowledge will share a heads up for those of us who may be heading that way.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Howdy

Several years ago we got caught in the traffic getting out of the Talladega race. I usually kept good track of were all the races were running. Needless to say I BLEW it that weekend. Got to sit and look at the track for a couple of hours from the highway, so that more than made up for the hassles....NOT

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Came thru there yesterday at 1630. No problem then. All race traffic is suppose to use exit 55. Folks with credentials use 57. The Loves at 55 had a big tent set up out front. Could see a little of the camping area. Looked a little crowed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Kentucky State Police: Post 5 News Release

Big NASCAR race, so all commercial vehicles get rerouted - has this ever happened before? :confused:

Two years ago when the first race was run they had no idea how much traffic there would be (Kentucky). Last year they implemented a new traffic plan and they reroute traffic during the race. It's a Saturday night race so it shouldn't interfere much with trucking.

It's hard to believe they didn't plan for the traffic but it was a complete nightmare the first year and a lot of fans didn't come the second year because of it. It's better now since the change.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I just drove through there last night as the race was ending and there was no detour and no problems with traffic!

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
The year it rained at the Kentucky Speedway and Hundreds and hundreds of cars, trucks, campers were stuck in the mud, it was a serious clusterbumble....there were cars being pulled out of the mud for days...