Heading out into the unknown.....

jball64

Seasoned Expediter
I finally got a ride...pick up my sprinter on Thursday and get dispatched hopefully soon after...

I would like some tips, time savers, what to take, what is nice to have, food tips, etc..

As far as i know its a "standard" sprinter, meaning no sleeper. just curious to how much room i will have to store stuff being loaded and unloaded.

Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance...Jeff

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Check some older posts on sprinter set up guide. All your questions will be answered there!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I finally got a ride...pick up my sprinter on Thursday and get dispatched hopefully soon after...

I would like some tips, time savers, what to take, what is nice to have, food tips, etc..

As far as i know its a "standard" sprinter, meaning no sleeper. just curious to how much room i will have to store stuff being loaded and unloaded.

Ugh,,JB, do n the research first b 4 u climb into the Sprinter, it would have been easier that way, IMHO. thought: always take flying lessons b 4 u take off,,,duh. but that said wish u the best out here,,its a challenge...............

jball64

Seasoned Expediter
Wow!!!!!!!!...the mandatory wrist slap...i should have seen that one coming...sorry my post was a little light on information...

Yes, i have read the older posts over the last couple of years lurking and yes i have lots of stuff, clothes, food, a bed setup and information from a handful of "experienced" expeditors on this site. That, i appreciate (you know who you are)...

So far, 2 replies..both took their time to belittle me and crack a joke...thats time youll never get back..how about some positive feedback...

Again...what i would like help with is what did you find after being on the road that worked better, something you wished you had...ect....true life experience is NOT in the "sprinter setup guide."

If you want to share some of your information...that would be great...if not, keep your wise ***, not helpful to anyone replies to yourself and go kick your own tires....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jb...personal items are just that personal...everyones are a little different....after a few loads you;ll know what you need or think you do...after a few more loads your needs will change again....time will dictate what you'll need....be patient.
Basics..something to sleep on, cooler, laptop, GPS or if you have Streets and maps on LP not really necessary...I did without a GPS till last year....used S&T and google...
Blankets, change of clothes of course...:)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For myself, having satellite radio in my slop bucket has been the best addition to driving I can think of.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For myself, having satellite radio in my slop bucket has been the best addition to driving I can think of.

A newbee should not be swayed by all our toys...he needs $$$ first....he needs to get a grip on things..the toys will follow if he makes a buck....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wow!!!!!!!!...the mandatory wrist slap...i should have seen that one coming...sorry my post was a little light on information...
Light on the information is putting it mildly.

Yes, i have read the older posts over the last couple of years lurking and yes i have lots of stuff, clothes, food, a bed setup and information from a handful of "experienced" expeditors on this site. That, i appreciate (you know who you are)...
If you've read all that, then your post here becomes a redundant post, especially since you know you and your van far better than we do, because you already have all the answers we have.

So far, 2 replies..both took their time to belittle me and crack a joke...thats time youll never get back..how about some positive feedback...
Hey, you get what you pay for around here.

Again...what i would like help with is what did you find after being on the road that worked better, something you wished you had...ect....true life experience is NOT in the "sprinter setup guide."
Actually, true life experience is precisely what the "sprinter setup guide" in all its variations is all about. It's things to do and not do based on real life experience.

So now you want some tips, time savers, what to take, what is nice to have, food tips, etc. Well, OK...

Tips - no matter how much you complain, your carrier will not change their policies and procedure to accommodate you.
Time savers - don't waste time on stuff you can't control
What to take - food, clothes, money, pencil and paper
What is nice to have - a freight-capable RV
Food tips - bacon makes anything taste good

If you want to share some of your information...that would be great...if not, keep your wise ***, not helpful to anyone replies to yourself and go kick your own tires....
Read How To Win Friends and Influence People.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Hey JB,,,I do wish u the best,,maybe I was a smart azz, glad u did the research,,PS Turtle was easy on you, he didnt break out 16" guns either ,,u got off lite. But that said, I wade into swamps all the time when I should have drained them and I get chewed up, o well .................:D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

Positive feedback for what?

-finally getting a ride, which 'as far as you know', is a standard sprinter, meaning no sleeper, which you will pick up on Thursday, and in which you 'hope' to be dispatched shortly thereafter?

-or your ability to ask for tips, time savers, what to take, what is nice to have, and food tips (all of which information is highly available throughout all kinds of posts both past and present throughout EO)?

Neither of those rate positive feedback. Based on the info given, the responders have been very kind, IMHO. I could think of a lot worse ways to respond, like, 'what do you mean 'as far as you know, don't you know what you're getting??'

Secondly, how can you accuse RedBird or SkyRaider of belittling you, or cracking a joke, or giving 'wise ***' replies? How to Win Friends and Influence People indeed!

If you only want warm, soft fuzzies, and pats on the back, you've come to the wrong place. Reality bites.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Positive feedback for what?

If you only want warm, soft fuzzies, and pats on the back, you've come to the wrong place. Reality bites.

Seriously, right? Come in breaking the cardinal rules of every online forum since before the internet existed, asking for positive feedback? Some of us here remember the one-at-a-time message boards, dial up only BBS systems where you could be automatically disconnected after 30 or 60 minutes and such a post would be a bannable offense.

Got off light, indeed.

Nobody wishes you ill fortune, I'm sure... but even in this day and age, such an approach is considered an egregious waste of precious time when you said yourself you had already lurked for years. If I spend even two of my personal minutes in the twilight that exists between cutting off my own engine and being lulled to sleep by the drone of neighboring diesels, you bet your bottom dollar I will waste the following four minutes authoring a response just like this one.

Best of luck to you .... do let us know when you have figured out what kind of van you bought. Interesting method you have there, buying a vehicle sight unseen...

fired at you from my Droideka

jball64

Seasoned Expediter
I give...i give...with white flag in hand.....and i believe i never said i "bought" a van...which i didnt....that should start another rant....entertainment for another few hours....oh well.....

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I give...i give...with white flag in hand.....and i believe i never said i "bought" a van...which i didnt....that should start another rant....entertainment for another few hours....oh well.....

Here's a tip: take the flak with a few grains of salt... and maybe phrase your questions as a request for comparison between two things you have already read about. Like "I noticed driver A has 4 batteries in his bank and driver B runs only 2. In the interest of conserving space, would 2 batteries be sufficient to run my mini fridge for 8 hours and fire up the microwave maybe twice?"

Something like that shows you were trying to figure out things on your own and are seeking input. Much better than "tell me what's best"...

Welcome to teh interwebz. Registered trademark of Al Gore Incorporated. Lol.

fired at you from my Droideka

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

If you've been lurking for even a few minutes, you should have known what to expect: we're easily amused, and brutally honest. Sometimes both at once.
Welcome to EO, Jball.
PS Since you asked, I find popcorn to be a must have, and books. Oh, and a good reading lamp, too. :)

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
A good resource to carry with you is "The Next Exit". You can find the book at Camping World or Flying J. It lists businesses and services available at the interstate exits.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A good resource to carry with you is "The Next Exit". You can find the book at Camping World or Flying J. It lists businesses and services available at the interstate exits.

True dat! Whether it's a truckstop, rest area, PetsMart, or Pizza Hut, The Next Exit tells me how close the next one is - it's the book I use most often. It was hard to find, though, last time I needed to replace it, went all the way to Idaho before any of the Flying J's had one.