Hazmat Certification

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Quick question,
I haven't driven in a couple years and my hazmat has expired. I'm trying to get back driving and need the endorsement back.
What's the routine now?
I talked with the liscensing beaureau here in Mo. and the woman wasn't exactly sure.
From what she said, first you have to apply, send in the paperwork. They (whoever there are) do a background check, if everything goes well there, which I know it will, they tell you where to go to get fingerprinted, THEN after all that, you go take the test.
Sound pretty accurate to everyone? What cost is involved? I"m sure they charge for fingerprinting, testing, etc.
Wonder how long this will all take!! Probably a lengthy process by the sound of it.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
The site is http://www.hazprints.com/

It costs $89.25 for the background check etc, you have to go get fingerprinted...and it takes about 60 days to get the results if I remember correctly. Then you go to the DMV to retake the written hazmat test.

Dale

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Suds;

Be sure to get fingerprinted soon after applying online for the background check. I made the mistake of waiting (and waiting) for a response on the background check and ended up not having the endorsement renewed on my license. I was thinking I need approval prior to getting fingerprinted. The approval letter came about 3 days after my licensed renewed.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The hazprints site lists locations to get fingerprinted, but not the phone numbers - some have goofy hours, (closed at lunchtime), and some are not in a truck friendly location. I'd try to get a phone number, before actually going, especially if you'll be going in a truck.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
yep background with finger printing, a guy is doing it at certain flying j locations in michigan, 90.00 took a week for me, because of military..if you have a military background with a security clearance they usually go by that, then they send the results to the secretay of state and i went down and took the test...however they say up to 6 weeks when they first started the background and fingerprinting 3,5 years ago

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Check with procedures in your home states . Some states have you take the written test before the background check , others won't let you take the written test until you have passed the background check .

moose

Veteran Expediter
Try this number :
1800-444-5791
its a M.O Base association that have all the info. You need.

Moose.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i got my hazmat one month before new rules took affect and in one year will not renew my hazmat doesn't pay for what we have to do, and in a sprinter van there is so many that i can't so i won't have one in a year

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Sometimes they pay more and sometimes they don't. It depends on the carrier and the customer, but some drivers will not haul it , so that leaves more freight for me. In fact I think all you vans drivers should probably just not take any haz-mat loads anymore, okay!