Have you ever heard of such a "policy"?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pulled two weeks ago a truck from a carrier and this weekend I realized that they didn't pay for my driver's trips. I called them to find out what happened with the paycheck and it was a huge surprise to find out that they will not release it until they receive their stinking QC. When I said "but there's an escrow that you hold already", they claimed that escrow does not cover the QC. I pulled trucks before from them, but they never did this. Is this something normal, did this happened to any of you? How much could be worth an old QC (I'd say the second generation - a mid 90's model)?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kinda sucks but all you can do is see if it's in your contract. I've never heard of it. Their playground only goes as far as their contract states.

Reactions: Opel2010

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yep, the contract should state specifically what the escrow can be used for. And it cannot be used for anything else without both parties agreeing to the change in writing.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, the contract should state specifically what the escrow can be used for. And it cannot be used for anything else without both parties agreeing to the change in writing.
Would you sign this? It's not even showing the refunding waiting period...
Escrow scam.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Would you sign this? It's not even showing the refunding waiting period...
I would not. Simply because of the vague language used as to the purpose of the Escrow. "...in order to enforce any provision of the Carrier Operating agreement and/or company policy," is a straight up joke and probably wouldn't survive a court challenge, as "company policy" can change on a whim. It basically says, "We'll keep all your escrow money unless you do what we say."

They are also able, at the "subjective discretion of management," to determine whether or not you have been indirectly involved in the carrier and/or its customers in being publicly scrutinized (gasp!), slandered or misrepresented. That's quite a legal and judicial achievement, right there.

Granted, the retarded language only puts you on the hook for the total amount of your escrow in a case of slander, so if you want to slander them, you're gonna get off really, really cheap.

Again, no I would not sign such an agreement.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
BTW, federal law says escrow must be returned within 45 of contact termination, which is why you don't see that spelled out in most contacts.

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther done that yrs ago an got sued. The escrow covers the qc. You get the escrow money back when the qc is return. I ran for panther from 2002 until 2005. Will never ever drive for a company that uses qc.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Panther done that yrs ago an got sued
Panther done what, and got sued?
The escrow covers the qc.
The escrow covers whatever the escrow agreement says it covers. Sometimes it covers the QC, and/or any other company-owned equipment, sometimes it's there specifically to cover quarterly fuel taxes. The escrow fund is money to guarantee performance, to repay advances, to cover repair expenses, to handle claims, to handle license and State permit costs, and for any other purposes mutually agreed upon by the contractor and carrier.

But whatever it covers must be explicitly started in the contract and cannot be open to interpretation or ambiguity.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The way I read the OP, he was talking about settlement check not escrow money. Two different things.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
never use a QC? Silliest thing I ever heard....dang your friggin phone is a QC...your carrier uses some type of tracking device like ummm your phone...you get your load info on your phone.....the QC just happens to be a more task orientated device...and your phone uses data to transmit this info so guess what..it is not free...you pay..heck we all pay in the end...just not 30-35$ a week...which is expensive for a glorified tracking device...and if you are on the cheap version of QC that uses wifi instead of satilite when in BFE you can't use it....gee whiz...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
to add...I even have the Load 1 App on my phone.....I am still connected to :pokepoke:John....thats how he knows when to leave town when I come close...LOL

Since we got rid of the macro point, we use the call me method and email load profile,which I prefer other than the sometimes almost every hour location call.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the problem I have with Macro point and it is MY problem....phone does not ping when I am on the phone for hours at a time...I have to not call for awhile to let it ping OR I get those annoying....Car 54 where are you? calls....:)

the Load 1 App is a Sylectus thingee for us not connected by QC to the system...the App allows Load 1 to do its thing....

guido4475

Not a Member
the problem I have with Macro point and it is MY problem....phone does not ping when I am on the phone for hours at a time...I have to not call for awhile to let it ping OR I get those annoying....Car 54 where are you? calls....:)

the Load 1 App is a Sylectus thingee for us not connected by QC to the system...the App allows Load 1 to do its thing....

That's the first I ever herd of this so called "load one app".....lol..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the first I ever herd of this so called "load one app".....lol..
check it out available for FREE at the App Store....Load 1 requests we have it to connect to their system while running their loads...of which I have run many many of lately...