Have You Ever Been "Drafted"??

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Friday I was driving south on I-95 in sunny FL. While checking my mirrors, I noticed a "shadow" on my bumper....too close to see what it was but not close enough to pick it up in my rear camera. This person was good, every move I made, they made it with me. Didn't take me long to figure out they were drafting me and I only got one glimpse of what kind of vehicle it was in about 50 miles.......it was a "not so smart car"!!!

I was amused but also concerned, while I wasn't about to give a "brake test", it could have been ugly had someone in front of me forced me to make a fast stop. I was more amazed than anything, at their ability but mostly at their guts. I don't think I could do that in our Hummer, let alone a little smart car.

We went on down the road like that for a little while until the interstate turned into 3 lanes and I noticed that my "growth" had moved to the right lane. I determined that they were going to exit and decided I would give them a toot and wave them a good day when I notice that they weren't exiting......there was a state trooper behind them.....uh oh!! He must have just showed up because I didn't see him back there either! I guess he didn't like how that little "not so smart car" was being driven and decided to pluck him from my tail.

Anyway, that's my drafting story and I'm sticking to it. Like I said, I was amused but concerned enough to NOT make any move to discourage him.

Have YOU been drafted??

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, about 3 weeks ago while eastbound on I-80 through Pennsylvania. I had a car on my bumper for almost 70 miles. I slowed from 65 to 60 to 55 to 50 thinking they would pass me, but they did not. I slowly increased my speed and they stayed right on my bumber. I was a little concerned that it might be a case of being followed. I knew there was a scale coming up and thought about going through just to shake them, but the scale was closed. I then decided to get off at an exit. Low and behold the car followed me off at the same exit. Now I was more than a bit concerned. However, at the bottom of the exit ramp I turned right and they turned left. I circled back to the interstate and never saw them again.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Yes, about 3 weeks ago while eastbound on I-80 through Pennsylvania. I had a car on my bumper for almost 70 miles. I slowed from 65 to 60 to 55 to 50 thinking they would pass me, but they did not. I slowly increased my speed and they stayed right on my bumber. I was a little concerned that it might be a case of being followed. I knew there was a scale coming up and thought about going through just to shake them, but the scale was closed. I then decided to get off at an exit. Low and behold the car followed me off at the same exit. Now I was more than a bit concerned. However, at the bottom of the exit ramp I turned right and they turned left. I circled back to the interstate and never saw them again.

I've had it happen to me like this many times too, had one just a couple weeks ago at night, not my favorite time to "play games" but this was the first time I've ever been certain that they were actually drafting.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
That happened to me around 4 a.m. once on the Natcher Parkway in KY . I'd vary my speed and they'd just stay right with me . We were the only vehicles on the Parkway . Finally me slowing caused a semi to come along and pass us . Then the drafter pulled out and hooked up with him , staying less than a car length behind him .
This "hypermiling" was more common a few years ago when gas prices spiked .
"Drafting
The US television show Mythbusters (Discovery Channel), in their June 6, 2007, episode, took a series of measurements where they drove a Dodge Magnum Station Wagon at 55 mph (89 km/h) right behind a Freightliner tractor trailer. As they got closer their results ranged from a baseline (no truck) figure of 32 mpg, to 35.5 mpg (11% improvement) at 100 feet (30 m), and then progressively up to 44.5 mpg (a 39% increase) at ten feet, as a result of decreased drag consequent of drafting.[36]"
Fuel economy-maximizing behaviors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some people might also be using you as a front door as a deer buster...I do it all the time...BUT I don't tail gate like that and turn my head lights angle downwards...some drivers will get upset with bright lights in their mirrors..regular drivers don't always recognize that fact..

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have a friend who does not mind being drafted as their fuel mileage goes up on their dash read out. By any chance do you have a dash read out and could see any change?

I am not so sure a smart car would help a semi but it might help a straight truck. Personally I get nervous when anyone drafts off of me and usually start slowing down till they give up and go around. This usually happens to me early in the morning and I figure they are trying to go to sleep while driving.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It happens from time to time. I shake them like any other tailgater by slowing down.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
"Drafting
The US television show Mythbusters (Discovery Channel), in their June 6, 2007, episode, took a series of measurements where they drove a Dodge Magnum Station Wagon at 55 mph (89 km/h) right behind a Freightliner tractor trailer. As they got closer their results ranged from a baseline (no truck) figure of 32 mpg, to 35.5 mpg (11% improvement) at 100 feet (30 m), and then progressively up to 44.5 mpg (a 39% increase) at ten feet, as a result of decreased drag consequent of drafting.[36]"
Fuel economy-maximizing behaviors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Hubs spoke of that Mythbusters episode, the various mpg increases at different locations behind the truck is interesting. I still wouldn't have the nerve to do it!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Some people might also be using you as a front door as a deer buster...I do it all the time...BUT I don't tail gate like that and turn my head lights angle downwards...some drivers will get upset with bright lights in their mirrors..regular drivers don't always recognize that fact..

Understood Ken but if they're truly drafting, I don't think you're going to see their headlights.....they're too close for that. I couldn't see anything but this guy's shadow from the sun!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I have a friend who does not mind being drafted as their fuel mileage goes up on their dash read out. By any chance do you have a dash read out and could see any change?

I am not so sure a smart car would help a semi but it might help a straight truck. Personally I get nervous when anyone drafts off of me and usually start slowing down till they give up and go around. This usually happens to me early in the morning and I figure they are trying to go to sleep while driving.

We don't have a dash read out but that's an interesting twist as I thought only the car was gaining mpg.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This is kind of funny thread.

I don't get why small trucks like mine attract these hypermilers. Maybe it is the issue that they are just too stupid? Slowing down doesn't shake them, speeding up does for most of them but there are those who are using radar controlled cruise control who match my every move. I have called the company on them before if they are back there for more than 10 miles, it is a safety issue for me on many levels and anyone else should too.

BUT it also goes the other way.

I have pictures from my cameras I was going to post with trucks drafting each other, a couple expediters, and a number of main streams trucks. These guys are close enough you can't fit an smart car between the trucks.

BUT the one that gets me is the flat bed with the aircraft equipment on his truck just riding on the a** end of a car (like less than 5 feet) who is doing a 60 in a 55 zone going through Chicago on I94. That car must have been providing a lot of wind reduction for that truck.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Like everyoneI've had this drafting happen,strangest time was on I-81south, I was drafted for about thirty min.,slowing down didn't phase him, other trucks passed he stayed with me.I came upon a traffic stop, signaled and moved to the left ,the drafter turned on his signal and moved to the breakdown lane ,pulled in behind the state trooper and turned on his overhead lights! Why a VA. state trooper would draft me like that has puzzled me ever since?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Like everyoneI've had this drafting happen,strangest time was on I-81south, I was drafted for about thirty min.,slowing down didn't phase him, other trucks passed he stayed with me.I came upon a traffic stop, signaled and moved to the left ,the drafter turned on his signal and moved to the breakdown lane ,pulled in behind the state trooper and turned on his overhead lights! Why a VA. state trooper would draft me like that has puzzled me ever since?

Now that's funny there! Maybe he saw the Mythbusters show and wanted to prove to himself that he could do it!!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
This is kind of funny thread.

BUT the one that gets me is the flat bed with the aircraft equipment on his truck just riding on the a** end of a car (like less than 5 feet) who is doing a 60 in a 55 zone going through Chicago on I94. That car must have been providing a lot of wind reduction for that truck.

Are you using my "funny" thread to take a shot at someone by chance?? Not so funny anymore.....try to play nice, would ya?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We don't have a dash read out but that's an interesting twist as I thought only the car was gaining mpg.
The lead vehicle has to drive through, and push out of the way, relatively stationary air. As it pushes the air out of the way, the air left behind in the wake reduces air pressure behind the vehicle (the wind resistance up front causes an increase in air pressure forward, and reduced air pressure rearward), but the rearward wake (or slipstream) is being dragged along and is moving forward quite a bit faster than the surrounding ambient (relatively stationary) air.

If an object is inside the slipstream behind another object, moving at the same speed, the rear object will require less power to maintain its speed than if it were moving independently, thus increased MPG. In addition, the leading object will be able to move faster (or with less power at the same speed) than it could independently because the rear object reduces the effect (drag) of the low-pressure region on the leading object. The rear object will have increased air pressure directly in front of it, both diminishing the low pressure drag of the lead vehicle, and pushing this high pressure air into the back of the lead vehicle, in effect giving it a little "push" from behind. Both vehicles with have reduced drag, making it possible for both vehicles to travel faster, or more fuel efficiently, than either vehicle could independently. With multiple vehicles the effect is even more pronounced.

The most dramatic example I know of is not racing cars or bicycling, but when a flat bed with the aircraft equipment on the truck is just riding on the aѕѕ end of a car (like less than 5 feet) who is doing a 60 in a 55 zone going through Chicago on I94 in a Construction Zone with the cruise control on. :D

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The most dramatic example I know of is not racing cars or bicycling, but when a flat bed with the aircraft equipment on the truck is just riding on the aѕѕ end of a car (like less than 5 feet) who is doing a 60 in a 55 zone going through Chicago on I94 in a Construction Zone with the cruise control on. :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: