Have a question

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Hello everyone. I have a question. If I am going to drive for an owner who already has a truck on with a carrier, and I'm going to drive it to orientation, do I have to have a new DOT physical and medical card....my old one expired in February. We had to come off the road and take a little break for family reasons, but we're coming back out now, and I don't have my card. What does putting the "not for hire" signs on the doors do for you? What's the purpose? Thanks for any info. Gotta know if I HAVE to get the physical to drive legally since I'm going to have to get one at the carrier anyways.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I think you have to have a DOT medical card up to date to drive legally. But, maybe some of this more experienced expediters will have the right answer for you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes you have to have a physical completed before you can drive the truck.

Putting not for hire on the truck used to be done to ward off people at Home Depot asking "man I really need to get 10 doors and 20 windows to my new house, can you help me out?"

Seriously it was used to tell people not to ask and to indicate to LEOs that you are doing a specific job for a specific carrier.

I think I explained that right?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Still have to meet the DOT requirements in order to drive. Having a "not for hire" has no bearing on that requirement.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
heeheehee! :D Having a 'not for hire' sign means the vehicle is privately owned and is not being used as a commercial vehicle, it is not for hire but for personal use only.
A CDL and medical card is not required to drive a vehicle that is privately owned and used for personal use or farm use only.
Personal use meaning the person that physically owns a vehicle must be the operator of said vehicle in a non-commercial capacity.
'Not For Hire' would not include a commercial vehicle that is being driven to a orientation at a carrier where that vehicle is to be used as a commercial vehicle by a person for hire.

If your spouse has a valid medical card you should have spouse drive the vehicle to the orientation. If not, you should have the truck owner to
A. transport the vehicle to the orientation
or
B. get your medical renewed before
(call carrier and ask them if they will accept this medical card, can't hurt to ask).

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
you say your medical card exprired and your gonna drive a truck???
guess what???
its expired....... u have to get it renewed...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Having a 'not for hire' sign means the vehicle is privately owned and is not being used as a commercial vehicle

No it don't.

I had not for hire on every one of my box trucks when I had my parts business, right below the company name. I didn't want to have people asking if they can rent the truck or have my drivers haul stuff for them.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Well...I knew there probably wasn't a way to get around it. Doesn't hurt to see if anyone knew something I didn't. Guess my husband will be driving the whole way...lol. I don't really want to have to pay for a medical card and then pay for another one at orientation, cause I'm pretty sure they don't take any but their own. Oh well, not a big deal.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Yesteryear,You are right to an extent,the not for hire is correct but you do have to have a CDL depending on the gross weight of the truck farm vehicle or not it all goes by gross axle weight on the registration.And even thoe you might need a CDL with air brake endorsement to drive it,if it's private or not for hire you do not have to meet all DOT regulations for commercial vehicles,you cross that bridge when you put DOT numbers on the side.Thats my two cents.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Well...I knew there probably wasn't a way to get around it. I don't really want to have to pay for a medical card and then pay for another one at orientation, cause I'm pretty sure they don't take any but their own.

Yep no way around it ya gotta have it.

I thought the Medical card belongs to the driver not the carrier or company one works for. Its your card and no reason for anyone to require you to get new one as long as yours is current or not close to expiring..Card should follow you from one place of employment to the next,,unless they have a stuipt reason to make you see their doctor:rolleyes:
I would ask,,reason being you may stand a better chance of passing exam at your private doctor then @ some company doctor, I would also think if they require you to see the company doctor the bill should go to the employer..in that case let em do the exam.... Just a thought on my part..

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
No it don't.

I had not for hire on every one of my box trucks when I had my parts business, right below the company name. I didn't want to have people asking if they can rent the truck or have my drivers haul stuff for them.

That is for yourself not for legal purposes to avoid obeying the law.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear,You are right to an extent,the not for hire is correct but you do have to have a CDL depending on the gross weight of the truck farm vehicle or not it all goes by gross axle weight on the registration.And even thoe you might need a CDL with air brake endorsement to drive it,if it's private or not for hire you do not have to meet all DOT regulations for commercial vehicles,you cross that bridge when you put DOT numbers on the side.Thats my two cents.

Hubby, a police officer for many many years says farmers are exempt under farm laws and do not require a CDL. As long as it is not for hire or not for interstate commerce. Different states might have different laws but that is Kansas law. :D

Oh yes, my brother is a farmer in Missouri and the law is the same regarding CDL and farm equipment (meaning grain trucks and farm semi's) in that state.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
ok so if a guy owns a class 8 straight truck with a 96 in condo and a 18 foot box and air brakes that he drives everyday back and forth to his job at the local GM factory...he hauls nothing other then maybe a new storm door or some drywall for home improvements on the weekends....he has a thing for big trucks and this is his "pickup truck", are you saying he has to have a cdl to with or without a air brake endorsement to drive it daily??

And in ohio farm trucks are also exempt as yesteryear stated......

miker

Seasoned Expediter
ok so if a guy owns a class 8 straight truck with a 96 in condo and a 18 foot box and air brakes that he drives everyday back and forth to his job at the local GM factory...he hauls nothing other then maybe a new storm door or some drywall for home improvements on the weekends....he has a thing for big trucks and this is his "pickup truck", are you saying he has to have a cdl to with or without a air brake endorsement to drive it daily??

if it's under 26,001 then he does not need a cdl regardless of hyd brakes or air brakes, he will need a medical card proving that he has had a physical and is in fact fit to drive this truck.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

That would class it as personal owned for personal business. No CDL required. Kind of like a motor coach. Do you really think grans and gramps go out and get a CDL before selling their home and buying a 100,000 motorhome some of which are as big or bigger then our little s/t's. Same thing! No CDL required.:cool:

miker

Seasoned Expediter
That would class it as personal owned for personal business. No CDL required. Kind of like a motor coach. Do you really think grans and gramps go out and get a CDL before selling their home and buying a 100,000 motorhome some of which are as big or bigger then our little s/t's. Same thing! No CDL required.:cool:

that needs to be changed! it's a little scary sometimes when they have trouble driving the car let alone a big rv:eek:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
that needs to be changed! it's a little scary sometimes when they have trouble driving the car let alone a big rv:eek:

ROFLOL yep! They can't drive a car so's they goes and get the BIG one! lol Hey, their kids said they can't drive the car, didn't say nothin about the tank! :D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Florida exemptions on CDL. SImilar in most states.

Florida DHSMV - Drive License Classes and Endorsements

aaahhhhhhh come on bubblehead! Now ya want ta make us read? :D

Florida

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or
Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
An employee of a publicly owned transit system who is limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system's property.

Last edited:

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Some of those old folks driving RV's are just as safe and skilled as you all. Some states require a class B with air brakes endorsement to drive them as opposed to a CDL. They take driving skills classes offered by the chassis manufacturers and refreshers at rallys they attend. The motorhomes are way north of $100,000, mine is in the middle $300's and is not top shelf when you consider the Country Coaches and Prevost conversions, some that approach 2 million! Guess what...some are even retired truckers!

Scott