Has this ever happened to you?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yesterday, my Garmin had a frozen screen, for quite awhile. Actually, until the battery died, I guess, because I unplugged it, and nothing changed. The top half of the screen had a map, (without enough info to identify the location), the center had a toolbar, and the bottom had what looked like columns of bar codes - very weird!
It was back to normal when I plugged it in this morning, but I would hate for it to freeze at a critical time, so I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of the cause - I sure don't! It's a Nuvi, if that matters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It freezes for the same reason your computer will freeze - a software glitch. When it freezes, power it off and back on.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
or, stick your thumbnail under the top inner edge of the frame and pull off. There is a reset button on the right side.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Leo: I wonder if it's a bad sign, when the "Contact Garmin Support" page says it's unavailable, due to maintenance or heavy demand? Hmmm.
Turtle: With no off-on switch, I unplugged it, but the screen remained frozen, till the battery died, I guess. (I didn't watch it all night, cause I fell asleep)
Terry: That is very good to know, if it happens again, when I can't wait for the battery to die.
Thanks to all, you guys are great! :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know. It went right to it earlier and again just now.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
How difficult would it be to take the battery out ? Not being smart , I'm not familiar with the Garmin . I've taken the battery out of my laptop a few times when it froze .