Has anyone converted a school bus into an expeditor?

zanico

Expert Expediter
I just ran across a 1999 International Mid Bus, short school bus, on Craigslist. It has a 7.3 liter diesel with only 16,000 miles for $4000. Not that I would do it, but could this be made into an expeditor. I know the rear doors would have to be widened. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Or how about one of those motorhomes with a garage in back for ATVs and BIKES ?
I'd think you'd have to beef up the back end.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Oh...why not. We have old yellow Penske vans with different colored wheels running around.:D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The frame/suspension may not be heavy enough. And may not be geared for extended highway driving.

It'll look good in the yard. Great playhouse for the kids.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
There used to be a guy from Arkansas who drove an old short bus.. He was on with Panther 5 or 6 years ago. It was in pretty rough shape when I saw it. I suspect the mileage would not be conducive to turning a profit.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There used to be a guy from Arkansas who drove an old short bus.. He was on with Panther 5 or 6 years ago. It was in pretty rough shape when I saw it. I suspect the mileage would not be conducive to turning a profit.

Don't think I have ever seen a Panther Expedite bus. Ever. Are you sure you don't have that confused with the Black Panthers? They are in Arkansas.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I've been thinking about getting myself,I have a FL70 right now that I keep getting pulled over @ weigh stations & of course they don't stop looking till they find something.So I was also thinking of a bus to haul our products too.I found one w/a wheelchair lift that would work great.BUT I supposed the way my luck has been even if it looked like a camper w/motorhome plates I still might get pulled over.But it would be nice to have a sleeper in the front & our freight in the back

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In Florida we cut halfway down to just below the passenger windows and convert them to orange & watermelon haulers. When the season is in, you will see them running north on 95 and 75.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought I had seen one the other day on Inkster in Taylor.....but soon realised it was just the Driver shuttle bus to Isis......:p :D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was with Con-Way Now we had a driver with one of the first Sprinters I had ever seen. It was school bus yellow, no windows. Chuck the school bus driver.

guido4475

Not a Member
I just ran across a 1999 International Mid Bus, short school bus, on Craigslist. It has a 7.3 liter diesel with only 16,000 miles for $4000. Not that I would do it, but could this be made into an expeditor. I know the rear doors would have to be widened. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this.

SSSHHHH>>>>....lol... Those guys in Yellow Penske's may be on to this as an even more covert way to haul freight.....even to go as far as to paint them resembling the Partridge family bus....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
1382651340953.jpg
This bus is my dream expedite vehicle.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
Why not just pull a "cannonball run" and get an ambulance?

I've been thinking about getting myself,I have a FL70 right now that I keep getting pulled over @ weigh stations & of course they don't stop looking till they find something.So I was also thinking of a bus to haul our products too.I found one w/a wheelchair lift that would work great.BUT I supposed the way my luck has been even if it looked like a camper w/motorhome plates I still might get pulled over.But it would be nice to have a sleeper in the front & our freight in the back

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Don't give those hippies with school buses any ideas! Oh wait it's safe they can't pass the drug test...

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't give those hippies with school buses any ideas! Oh wait it's safe they can't pass the drug test...

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

c8_1_b_1185_1.JPG

tknight

Veteran Expediter
There is a Jamaican reggae band in Columbus oh that uses their band bus an old airport shuttle for moving stuff from the u ship site ,the whole band shows up and cleans out houses and garages hauling stuff all over , furniture must need fumigating from the weed smoke when it's delivered ,this is no joke I saw their listing on u ship and I know them from doing summer reggae events!