Has anyoe heard of On Call Logistics?

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
I wonder why none of the drivers who are currently working for this company aren't jumping into this discussion. I really wanted to get a drivers perspective on this company. I guess there aren't a lot of drivers who use EO. Perhaps they're running too many miles to pull over and throw up a post on here? Who knows? I like everyone else who has posted on this thread hope the drivers are all paid, the outside carriers are paid, and that all of the creditors are paid.

I still see that the company website has not been put back up. Could it be that they were getting too many unwanted calls? Perhaps they changed their number. We've just seen this so many times before where the slow paying companies become the companies that go bankrupt leaving their drivers holding the bag. It's a matter of mere survival. Who will get theirs before the creditors and the owners? If I was a betting man, I would guess, well I'll leave that one up to the imagination!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Notice I said "AND THEN YOU DID".
Good grief. :asshat:

"I never defended him at all" but - saying "He was humble enough to step up and say that he made mistake so there is no reason to keep going after him" IS defending him, absolutely.

That was not the intention behind this post which is why the 2 different posts are being referenced in some ridiculous attempt to say that I am wrong about something. There was no "and then", the word "is" was even capitalized to emphasize it so stop trying to backtrack and change things. There was no reason at all to even bring it up. Keep the childish insults coming though.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wonder why none of the drivers who are currently working for this company aren't jumping into this discussion. I really wanted to get a drivers perspective on this company. I guess there aren't a lot of drivers who use EO. Perhaps they're running too many miles to pull over and throw up a post on here? Who knows? I like everyone else who has posted on this thread hope the drivers are all paid, the outside carriers are paid, and that all of the creditors are paid.

Well if Rich was correct then all of the drivers have their money now so they may not be interested in spending time on something that doesn't matter to them anymore. If the pay problems are fixed then they aren't Googling the company trying to get their money leading them to the post.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That was not the intention behind this post which is why the 2 different posts are being referenced in some ridiculous attempt to say that I am wrong about something. There was no "and then", the word "is" was even capitalized to emphasize it so stop trying to backtrack and change things. There was no reason at all to even bring it up. Keep the childish insults coming though.

Perhaps [before the allegation] you hadn't, at least in your mind, but nobody here is much good at telepathy [in spite of those who are sure they are], so someone thought you did. Just for the sake of argument [because you won't quit], let's say you did not defend Preacher Rich in the comment which Mikedrives criticized you for defending him. Ok?
And as soon as you stated "I never defended him", you launched into an unquestionable defense of him. That's when I first commented, pointing out the hilarity of that reply. It's all right there, in glorious black & white, forever - and still, you need to say that isn't what happened.
Either you have a chip on your shoulder [regarding me] the size of the Western Hemisphere, or you read, but fail to comprehend. Or both.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, the Cincinnati Reds used to be The Big Red Machine. Now they're mostly just The Little Pink Tinker Toy.

It's really how people want to infer it more than what is supposed to imply. "Preacher" may imply God-fearing Christian, but "PreacherRich" implies very successful scummy charlatan televangelist who's only after your money.

Minor league names, OTOH, are awesomesauce. Today, I saw an ad for tickets to see the Albuquerque Isotopes. Not quite as cool as the Toledo Mudhens, but close, lol.

Reactions: vandriver2

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Call yourself Butch, nobody assumes you're a hairdresser. :rolleyes:

butch%20final%201_zpsnon6ke7d.png

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Perhaps [before the allegation] you hadn't, at least in your mind, but nobody here is much good at telepathy [in spite of those who are sure they are], so someone thought you did. Just for the sake of argument [because you won't quit], let's say you did not defend Preacher Rich in the comment which Mikedrives criticized you for defending him. Ok?

The "because you won't quit" must be a joke since you won't let it go. I never defended his actions because I think everyone agrees that they were a mistake. The only point made was that celebrating and gloating over what could hurt others was not a good idea. Who knows if the slow pay put someone out of business or really placed a huge burden on a family?

And as soon as you stated "I never defended him", you launched into an unquestionable defense of him. That's when I first commented, pointing out the hilarity of that reply. It's all right there, in glorious black & white, forever - and still, you need to say that isn't what happened.

I never said that my statement after that couldn't be considered a defense of Rich, no matter how much you really want to claim that. In fact I quite clearly stated that it could be considered a defense of Rich which is why I pointed out the fact that I used the past tense in the first sentence.

Either you have a chip on your shoulder [regarding me] the size of the Western Hemisphere, or you read, but fail to comprehend. Or both.

That's funny and ironic. I'm the one that fails to comprehend. :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
Looking at Ripoff Report the 2 complaints there are from 2014. The one from November basically sounds like a person got involved in expedite without doing any research. It's people like that which are the reason it's tough to take complaints seriously without proof.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/on call logistics

So, just because a driver is new and doesn't understand how this business operates, it's ethical for a company to not pay him for services rendered? What that report shows me is that this company is desperate and will hire anyone to move their customers freight. How can you hire a guy who doesn't even have enough money to buy himself something to eat? How can you hire a guy who does not even own a GPS? Apparently this guy didn't have the "equipment" necessary to secure the freight (E-Tracks in the van and load straps) or the guy wasn't properly trained to use them! I didn't know how to use a load strap when I first started driving, but my company showed me how to do it. That is just plain dangerous to be driving around with a 1500 pound skid in the back of the van unsecured.

I also take issue where the guy was forced to drive again several hours after delivering the first load. If the driver said he was tired, then he should have not been forced on that load. Again, this sounds like a company desperate to make a buck no matter what they have to do to make that dollar. When carriers get greedy and desperate, they tend to engage in less than desirable business practices.

Here is what happened to a load when they failed to do a background check on one of their drivers three years ago:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/warning-bad-driver.54914/

There seems to be a consistent pattern of hiring drivers who are inexperienced and do not have the proper funding to get the job done. If this kind of stuff is happening three years straight, I'd be pretty leery of using this company to haul my customers freight.

Once again, Paul is defending the company and trying to blame the driver for not being paid or properly trained. Most carriers have their drivers go through an orientation process where they vet them before they even dare put a load on their truck. You have to check people out. When a driver does not have the resources to at least survive for the first three weeks out on the road, that should send up a huge red flag right there. Again, the posts/complaints speak for themself!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was doing my Google search of this company just a couple of days ago, Ripoff Report was only one website of many indicating trouble. This one of those times when you have to say-- if one person says the outfit resembles the South end of a Northbound horse, maybe you ignore the report. When two people-- or in this case websites-- say the same thing, you begin to check deeper. When nearly every website seems to be saying "South end" comments--- maybe the company should invest in a saddle?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
True, sort of. But you also have to be aware that some of those at different web sites can be the same people. For example, the one at Ripoff Report from Eddyville, KY went all over the net posting about it, sometimes using the same name, sometimes using different names.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So, just because a driver is new and doesn't understand how this business operates, it's ethical for a company to not pay him for services rendered?

When did I say anything close to that? In the report the guy clearly stated that he wasn't even running for Rich so the pay falls on the shoulders of the fleet owner. We don't know if the guy was only waiting 5 days on his money or if he was even due any money since he might have damaged freight that he failed to secure.

How can you hire a guy who doesn't even have enough money to buy himself something to eat?

So you think people shouldn't hire broke people? Well that idea sucks for people that need work to get back on their feet.

How can you hire a guy who does not even own a GPS? Apparently this guy didn't have the "equipment" necessary to secure the freight (E-Tracks in the van and load straps) or the guy wasn't properly trained to use them!

Or maybe he had the straps sitting in the back of the van and just didn't use them. There is a lack of information to know what happened. As far as the GPS goes it's not needed for the job since there are things like smart phones and maps.

I didn't know how to use a load strap when I first started driving, but my company showed me how to do it. That is just plain dangerous to be driving around with a 1500 pound skid in the back of the van unsecured.

He might have been shown, he might have lied and said that he already knew, he may not have been properly informed, he might have just been too lazy but either way he failed. It's obviously not smart from a company perspective to have drivers that are clueless running freight but the burden falls on both parties.

I also take issue where the guy was forced to drive again several hours after delivering the first load. If the driver said he was tired, then he should have not been forced on that load. Again, this sounds like a company desperate to make a buck no matter what they have to do to make that dollar. When carriers get greedy and desperate, they tend to engage in less than desirable business practices.

We don't know that he was necessarily forced. He seemed more upset about driving during rush hour. Splitting your sleep up and taking a nap to make it through the trip safely is part of running a van. The lack of hours of service regulations is a big reason that vans are used. He mentioned not wanting to violate "DOT laws" but never specified what regulations he was worried about so it just seems like a lot of crying.

Once again, Paul is defending the company and trying to blame the driver for not being paid or properly trained.

Once again you claim that I defended the company and I didn't. That particular person isn't accepting any responsibility and just wanted to complain, notice I didn't say that the other report was a problem.

Most carriers have their drivers go through an orientation process where they vet them before they even dare put a load on their truck. You have to check people out. When a driver does not have the resources to at least survive for the first three weeks out on the road, that should send up a huge red flag right there. Again, the posts/complaints speak for themself!

They might be following the same plan many other companies use of meat in the seat. It's a model that is all too common in the freight industry and certainly not unique to On Call. There are MANY if not the majority of drivers that wouldn't have the finances to survive for 3 weeks let alone 1.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as having or not having a GPS goes-- GPS is a relatively recent tool. "Back in my day" we used the Trucker's Atlas for cross-country, then either bought a local map once we got near the destination or made phone calls. Calling the local police non-emergency number was good--- the police know every address in their communities, they have to.

I still have the Trucker's Atlas, and the 7-County Chicagoland Atlas. I've used both in the past extensively. Old-fashioned paper maps-- what'll they think of next?

Reactions: artie

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have GPS and smartphone w up to date Google Maps, but still carry my Truck Atlas...never hurts esp if something breaks dies or just isn't accurate

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As far as having or not having a GPS goes-- GPS is a relatively recent tool. "Back in my day" we used the Trucker's Atlas for cross-country, then either bought a local map once we got near the destination or made phone calls. Calling the local police non-emergency number was good--- the police know every address in their communities, they have to.

I still have the Trucker's Atlas, and the 7-County Chicagoland Atlas. I've used both in the past extensively. Old-fashioned paper maps-- what'll they think of next?

I started driving truck in '06 and I used a trucker's atlas and simply called the shipper or receiver for local directions. I didn't get a GPS or smart phone until later since that method worked well. A GPS can really let you down at times so I still use my atlas but I have added a smart phone into the process for Google maps to check which side the docks are on.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan