Has a Dispatcher ever said anything rude to you?

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Has a dispatcher or anyone else from your company ever said just the WRONG thing to you on the telephone? I'm looking for rude, insensitive, or just plain inappropriate telephone behavior. I don't want you to name names, but please be specific about the incident, No matter how small, and how it made you feel - or what did you do about the incident?

Many of you know me, but for those of you that don't... I am currently a recruiter for Express-1 in Buchanan, MI - But I was a straight truck O/O for many years before coming "inside". We are currently putting together a training program targeted toward our new and existing employees that will talk to drivers on a regular basis. The training will focus on trying to make the employees understand the driver's perspective - and will help them extend the professional courtesy and respect that the drivers have earned and deserve.

I thank all of you in advance - I can really use your input. Here is a chance to learn from what has been done wrong in the past - and we'll try and turn it around to make a better future.

I'll appreciate any and all input here. Thanks - X

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
RE: Has a Dispatcher ever said anything rude to yo

Well, since you asked....:)

I honestly did have a blow out with a dispatcher when I was driving the semi.

In a nutshell, he developed amnesia - told me to do a drop and hook at the terminal so someone else could take the load to N.J. I had brought up from Nogalas AZ. - proof was that he even put it on the Qcom. I was supposed to drop, then hook to a trailer headed for home after being out some 8 or 9 weeks straight. Well, the short of it is he later apologised and we became really great friends.

Don't ya love happy endings?:)

Some dispatchers have alot on their plate and some times probably can't figure out why the stupid driver just won't do their job and leave him alone - they probably just forget that many times, they are our only support and at times, we depend heavily on them out here in these locations that are completely strange to us.

Then there was this other dispatcher who treated her drivers like a piece of dirty dog poop - she is still there even though she went through 18 drivers that I know of in less than three weeks. Her problem was she showed absolutely no respect whatsoever. Respect is a two way street and is something that we earn.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter

I think it's great your interested,i don't want to get into war stories cause there's alot of them.I think if the carriers treated the drivers like customers you would have alot of happy drivers,i think the first step in doing that is the dispatchers need to listen to what the driver is telling them.I don't mean waiting for them to stop talking [or not] and just restating their point.I am not saying there gonna agree,however you may find common ground.The problem is this takes time and both are under pressure to get things resolved,i think some sort of report card needs to be in place so the dispatchers can have ratings by the drivers,nothing to involved just a quarterly report on how there doing,now just cause they have a good drivers rating doesn't make them a good dispatcher cause sometimes you have to tell the driver things he doesn't want to hear and the way you do that is the key to being a good dispatcher and respectful in the process.The report card from the drivers has been tried before,and i can think of alot of flaws in that concept.I don't want to disrespect or reroute your subject cause it's a good one,so i'll leave at that.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter

OK-here's another one of my stories- and in the end you all will know why I am currently driving a van, while paying an employee to drive my"real truck". I graduated from high school on Jan. 23,1979. On Jan. 24,1979 I began my career as a truck driver,delivering vending machines in Wisconsin. In 1985 I bought my own truck and began my company with local(WI,IL,MN,IN,MI,IA) pick-up and delivery. In 1991 I added to my fleet a truck that I contracted(and drove)with RPS(then Roadway Package System,later FedEx Ground).In 2000,looking to expand once again,I became an employee driver with an Oak Creek,WI expedited carrier.Finally-I found my true calling!But how long would it last? Well,in August of 2001 I delivered a 15,000# load of rubber flooring to the YMCA in Peru,IL-finding out at the delivery that this was to be hand unloaded,and the dispatcher said they would NOT reimburse me for anything I paid to any lumpers who might help me. Well,I had never gotten hurt before and was in good shape so I unloaded each of the 30-500# rolls of rubber myself and was on my way to Bonduel,WI to get a load headed for Clayton,AL, when things just didn't feel right in my back.Guess what-I did the Alabama run,and arrived to find out that this,too,was all hand unload(13,000#). On my way north,I found that I was beginning to lose the use of my legs and called the dispatcher to tell them what was happening. Their response was,"oh,ok-we have a load for you near Detroit,ready tomorrow".Well,I then turned-down my first ever run and got home,got helped out of the truck and two days later was diagnosed with two herniated disks in my lower back.Out of work for two weeks,I then returned with big-time restrictions,and missed some more time here and there over the next 10 months.In August of 2002, they started pushing me more and more,violating my work restrictions. I had a load from Milwaukee to Hot Springs Village,AR-oh,yeah-HAND UNLOAD-9800# at a HOUSE in a GATED Community-so no chance of help there The lady did give me a bottle of water,though,since it was 97 degrees and took me almost 5 hours.I finished,called the dispatcher and told them"never again" wil you do this to me,and headed for the nearest truck stop.The next day, I checked in and he had the same load for me to pick-up! I told him no,and he could not understand why(even after I said,"You guys are KILLING me"),and then said to "just bring the truck back and you're done",effectively firing me over the phone,800 miles from home.Well, faced with the prospect of being unemployed,I stupidly loaded up the truck for one final time,getting back home to find that I now had four herniated disks(three of them ruptured),and a cracked hip joint. I haven't been able to climb up into a truck now in over two years, and have been told that there is no surgery available that would even come close to giving me back the part of my life that I miss so much. So, that was my time from being an employee and being forced to work for the "DISPATCHER FROM IGNORANCE HELL". Here I am,now,driving a van and being looked down on by others who don't know my story. Beware the dispatcher-he cares only of himself.To them,drivers are expendable and replaceable. I think I'll go cry now. Paul:) :( :'(

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

TBoldt, I hope they paid all the doctor's bills...and on top of that, I woulda sued them for wrongful termination and possible willing neglegence for knowingly putting you in the situation that led to your injuries worsening. I could see someone going postal on dispatchers like that! I've heard threats for far far less.
Personally, the only dispatcher problem I've had was with CTX. They had no consideration for me at all, and didn't even pay for one load when I was late. I was new to expediting at the time, and basically had to learn the ropes myself. But I did learn one thing from them... I hate dispatchers with something up their arse!

T-Hawk :p

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

This is a very interesting topic,but just like many others people tend to go off in another direction. I belive the original question was "Has a dispatcher ever said anything rude to you on the phone?"In 16 years with FECC/Roberts I cant ever recall a rude remark.Sure they didnt allways tell me what I wanted to hear,but thats life.
What about the other side of the coin,have you ever said something rude,maybe you later regretted.Dispatchers are human beings also.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter

rydytrk-sorry if you thought my response was off-topic. I guess I read a little bit too far into the first paragraph where it was asked for "rude,insensitive or inappropriate", and to "be specific". Back to my story- it's ironic that this was started by a recruiter who really wants to help.I say this because the company I was with,well,guess who is now listed as their "Driver Recruiter"? I guess they want to kill you right from "Hello..." Paul.

Draco

Expert Expediter

Insensitive yup. I turned down a load several times because of black ice predicted for that night. I was just gettin back to work after havin surgery so I hadn't had a run yet but didn't want the first one to be under these conditions. She just kept callin and in the end played a HUGE guilt trip on me and I took the load. Yes, it was stupid but in the end it ended up costing me $$$$$$$$$.

That same night I also dealt with a rude dispatcher. As I slide my van on black ice and the dispatcher got p.o.-ed because I didn't get pictures of the van after that accident. She also got mad because the van was moved before she could get someone out from the insurance company to 'see' the accident. I was like uh...hello I was in an accident my boxer was missing and that stupid van and takin pictures was the LAST thing on my mind. Not to mention it was in like 10 at night. I also wasn't under a load just gettin relocated when it happened. I just couldn't believe it she hammered me for a good 15min before I finally just hung up and she NEVER even asked if I was ok.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter

Thank you all very much.... this is great stuff and It's just what I'm looking for. Keep the feedback coming. It really is for a good cause! - X

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Draco raises a great point, Safety

As expediter dispatchers, operations folks don't seem to hear the anxiety in our voices, when we don't adequately express our load refusal reasons, because they are consumed with the urgency of getting a hot load covered.

It is an imperative that a dispatcher listen to the key words of a driver that would imply a safety condition exists. It's shameful for a dispatcher to prod an unwilling driver to accept a load when the driver expresses a concern for personal, truck or freight safety.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

There is a Female Dispatcher in FDXCC White Glove that normally works on weekends plus Monday. This woman has called me on the phone,did not identify herself and said"Where the hell are you". I replied"Who are you". Then she identified herself and wanted to know our exact location. I said"Thats why we pay for the QualComm". She said"Damnit I asked you where you are NOW" I hung up on her and complained the next day and was told that I was probaly the 15th driver that month to complain. One driver actually had a petition circulating,which I among many others signed to ask FDX to fire or move this disapatcher to a new position with no driver or customer contact. Those of us that are with FDX W/G know exactly who I am talking about.
The ironic thing is that this woman used to drive with her husband so you think she would know what life is like on the road.:7

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Sounds like one I used to butt heads with... there used to be a dispatcher, I can't remember her name, Sandy or Sue, I think, who was rude all the time. If I dared refuse a run, she would get all irritated and give me this 5 minute tirade on how it was better to run cheap than to sit still.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

It's not Sandy or Sue.I really don't want to mention names but her first name starts with the initials P. Nuff said, amother incident was when we were on a run from Rocket City WV to Colorado and were about 4 hours ahead of schedule and stopped in Kansas to take a break,sent the appropiate stopping messages and immeadiately got a call from P ,saying "why in the hell are you stopped.Don't you know this is a straight through delivery".She was so nasty .It actually brought tears to my wifes eyes. My wife said'"P you know we are about 4 hours ahead of the delivery scheduled time. We would like to eat,get cleaned up and relax for an hour". P said" Get moving or I will report you for abusive language". Fortunately she is one of the few that act like that. Most dispatchers realize that we are human beings also.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Wow... you must have more self control than me.. LOL.. I'd have been in Akron... now we know why they have security guards..

Dreamer

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>Insensitive yup. I turned down a load several times because
>of black ice predicted for that night.

Whenever a dispatcher ask me to run in unsafe conditions,I ask them to put it on the Qualcom that they are asking me to run on "Black ice".They back down every time.They cant afford to have any record of asking to run unsafe.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

In more cases than not, drivers don't know what the dispatchers job entails. Same goes for dispatchers. The majority have never been on the road or even sat in a truck.
Only in a rare case have we really had a rude dispatcher. I just hang up on them.
In the fedex case of being 4 hours ahead of schedule and they complain, if you are on target for that delivery, I would qc it and go eat ect. If they insist you keep moving regardless, I would say they have changed the perameters of the run you accepted and to now run it straight through requires additional revenue. That would probably end the conversation.
Davekc

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I've just read this entire thread. It seems like dispatchers have mellowed over the past 30 years!
I remember dispatchers that would need security to keep them from beating up the drivers!
Dispatchers who would throw the phone at a wall or a driver.
Dispatchers whose every other word was f***.
Some of the women dispatchers were just as tough or tougher.
I don't think the sometimes adversarial relationship between driver and dispatcher will ever end. The dispatcher is expected to keep the freight moving and catches plenty from upper managers and customers when it doesn't.

wannabeotr

Expert Expediter

In my years of company driving, for one particular company, in situation A, I was told to do B. Same Situation, different day, I do B, then told I should have done C. Could not win, finally was shown the door, and glad to be done with Them.

I have worked in two call centers, all calls were taped, and subject to review by supervisors. Monthly review was made of random call, and scored. That helped me be a better call center representative!

If you are treated rudely, or whatever, ask for the supervisor, and ask them to listen to the call, and judge it accordingly.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter

Hey, Bruce,it's easy to ask for a supervisor,but in my case the dispatcher was actually a part-owner of the company...

Draco

Expert Expediter

>>Insensitive yup. I turned down a load several times because
>>of black ice predicted for that night.
>
>Whenever a dispatcher ask me to run in unsafe conditions,I
>ask them to put it on the Qualcom that they are asking me to
>run on "Black ice".They back down every time.They cant
>afford to have any record of asking to run unsafe.

She was supposed to do so but that didn't change her mind or stop her from calling me repeatedly.
x(