Happy May Day and the rest of the month!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Breaking silence for a moment here....

Thank you, John, for having our back through these tough times by standing by the layover policy. I cannot even imagine what that is costing...

Back quiet now...pom-poms back on the shelf.

Well said brother Guido.....:)
And equally.....I am having Johns back....:) one company owner to another.....:)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I have to agree with Eddie. The one certain in this business is that nothing is certain.

Guido; thank you sir. While percentage pay is shared pain and shared gain, things like layover work in reverse. During slower weeks out costs actually escalate. While I surely don't like that it does give us an extra motivation to fight as hard as we can.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to agree with Eddie. The one certain in this business is that nothing is certain.

Guido; thank you sir. While percentage pay is shared pain and shared gain, things like layover work in reverse. During slower weeks out costs actually escalate. While I surely don't like that it does give us an extra motivation to fight as hard as we can.

It has recently come to my attention while talking to other un-named Load 1 CV drivers that are NON-CDL are NOT required to do DOT physicals....only 1 physical when being recruited was required...

True or False?...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It has recently come to my attention while talking to other un-named Load 1 CV drivers that are NON-CDL are NOT required to do DOT physicals....only 1 physical when being recruited was required...

True or False?...

I will have to verify with safety. But I believe it is the same requirement as a CDL driver. But again, I will find out.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Oh man.. Hope I don't get a frost here... Just put my tomatoes in the garden today. Did you know they need calcium? I toss some egg shells in the hole prior to planting.

In my short experience with tomatoes, all it took was the dirt, and I got a great haul from plants I didn't really take care of. This year, it's compost mixed with good soil, compost tea, and we'll see what happens. This is an experimental year for me anyway.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
In my short experience with tomatoes, all it took was the dirt, and I got a great haul from plants I didn't really take care of. This year, it's compost mixed with good soil, compost tea, and we'll see what happens. This is an experimental year for me anyway.
The extra calcium helps prevent that end rot..just save your shells and grind them up and work them into the top of the soil around the plants.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
You can tell it's really spring when the first yellow finch arrives..got out their feeders and filled them with thistle and now I've got a bunch more..love their pretty color!:)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Ok. Van drivers have to pass a DOT physical to sign on with us. But we do not make them do annual renewals per the safety department.

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I have gotten feedback that some in the sprinter fleet were concerned that we had over recruited and added too many sprinter vans to the fleet. First off, I have not changed my philosophy on recruiting sprinters. The first few months of this year saw the sprinter fleet stretched and operations not able to cover the sprinter and cv loads at our normal coverage levels. Average revenue per unit was very strong. Now I realize the last 5 weeks have slowed up. My job is not too manage or plan for the unpredictable short periods of ups and downs in volumes. I have to focus on our long term and what is coming down the road in the next quarter. Now with all that technical explanation and analysis, yes the current sprinter fleet is larger than what it was one year ago.....3 units. Hopefully that clears any confusion or questions.

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have gotten feedback that some in the sprinter fleet were concerned that we had over recruited and added too many sprinter vans to the fleet. First off, I have not changed my philosophy on recruiting sprinters. The first few months of this year saw the sprinter fleet stretched and operations not able to cover the sprinter and cv loads at our normal coverage levels. Average revenue per unit was very strong. Now I realize the last 5 weeks have slowed up. My job is not too manage or plan for the unpredictable short periods of ups and downs in volumes. I have to focus on our long term and what is coming down the road in the next quarter. Now with all that technical explanation and analysis, yes the current sprinter fleet is larger than what it was one year ago.....3 units. Hopefully that clears any confusion or questions.

Or "Folks, I got this".

Being a 70% owner of the loads I take, all I can say is, Keep up the Good Work. My investment return is great.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not sure, but I would say yes. I think we would have to ensure that the requirements that went with the lic were met for a proper driver qualification file.

State of SD requires it anyhow....so it really doesn't mean anything, I have to do it with the state and give you a copy of said results...no biggie

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Wow....three extra units. Can't believe you didn't realize that six months ago. :rolleyes:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Nomination for next Employee spotlight... dispatcher Jamie! She ROCKS! (and must be taking lessons on bidding from Jeremy!!! nuff said??? ;) ) she got me a morning run that I had to question the rate.. I KNOW I didn't hear that right... got on Fleetvision to verify... and there it is!

After the slow week I had last week, it's nice to start off with a bang! We are in contract for a new home.. and every dollar counts right now.

PS.. I know it's usually not an issue, but I like her straightforward calls.. "Hey Dale, got a customer.. X skids, X pounds, picks up X miles away, X total miles.... X pay. You interested?"

me.