Gvwr

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
how much does a vehicle load capacity affect the chances of getting a load. Would a vehicle that can gross 50k have a better chance of getting loads than a truck that can only gross 30k?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Absolutely!! However, your carriers ability to utilize the extra capacity of that type vehicle will govern if it is more profitable. Look for carriers that have the skills to load multiples on the same trip.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
The question your asking has too many possible scenerios; is the truck in question going to be team driven, what type of load average weight does your carrier focus on, etc, etc. The major carriers have truck designations (B-C-D-E) based on the freight they are designed to carrier, and they do this for a reason. I highly recommend that you read back through the forums and the information or gather will help answer your question and most likely give you alot more to ask.

moose

Veteran Expediter
The qwestion is :
Dose the Extra Investment in the truck will ever pay itself back ?
Keep in mined that a truck over 33K is subject to higher Taxes Ext ...

My answer :
If this truck is going to be a team truck and on the road for the next 4 years or more , 300 days a year ...
Yes it will ! Big time !
at worst , with time ,the team will fined the right carier to lease to, that can feed them .
In that case ,the team is probably better off adding a tail gate and a refer .
for a solo trucker , I think that it will never pay back .
Pay-less , Drive less , Be Happy !

Moose.

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
thats the delima, why spend the money on a class 7 when I can get a C4500 aerocell to have the same payload, andnot have all of the maint. costs:confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
thats the delima, why spend the money on a class 7 when I can get a C4500 aerocell to have the same payload, andnot have all of the maint. costs:confused:

But at that point you are having to spend the same amount of money for the PM when you look at it. The fact that the 4500 is not really intended for over the road but so isn't a class 7 which is won't haul (or should not) 50K gross. The class 7 is going to give you marginally better service over it's life than the class 6 (4500). The other fact is that when you come down to is, the best chassis to get is still the OTR class 8, the all American tractor. The money spent is well spent when you look at the long term.

Special K

Expert Expediter
That snippet, "not intended for over-the-road..." says it all. Doc has long had a principle, which is, if you're going to do serious trucking, you need a serious truck to do it with. Our (Class 8) truck is now 2 yrs and 4 months old, and we've just turned over 312,000 miles (team). I don't think a Class 7 truck could be expected to keep that up for too long without some fairly major expenses. And there's no way a Class 6 could. As for the different size trucks, we've done both E and D, and we can absolutely say that we make more with the D than we did with the T/T, because of the greatly-improved fuel mileage. We always get at least 10 mpg with the D, whereas we were lucky to get 7 with the T/T.
And yes, the E rate is higher, but because the average expediting load is somewhat small and light, you'd be amazed at how often the T/T is actually carrying a "C" or "D" load.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
But at that point you are having to spend the same amount of money for the PM when you look at it. The fact that the 4500 is not really intended for over the road but so isn't a class 7 which is won't haul (or should not) 50K gross. The class 7 is going to give you marginally better service over it's life than the class 6 (4500). The other fact is that when you come down to is, the best chassis to get is still the OTR class 8, the all American tractor. The money spent is well spent when you look at the long term.

Actually , a 4500 is a class 4 . The July issue of "Overdrive" had an article on hotshotters . One hotshotter runs 3 4500's pulling gooseneck trailers a lot harder than any expediter will ever run . The trucks perform very well . I know the owner personally .

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Your asking a question that is hard to answer.A tandem axle D unit can gross 46000 lbs,a single axle only 32000, so i dont understand the 50000 lbs.If your talking tractor trailer,most carriers want you to be able to gross the 80000,hauling 44000 lbs.As was stated,most of the expedite freight are loads that will fit on these C and D trucks,but it is a very rare instance that i ever haul a load that should be put on a straight truck,with my tractor trailer

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
just wondering if it would be worth($$$)while to even look at a 3 axel truck, wondering if it had anymore revenue generation potential than a 2 axel, more payload capacity

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Like the Col said, it depends on who you run for. A dispatch that looks for multiple loads, or t/t loads that fit 22-24' is important. I agree with Moose about a liftgate, but not a reefer. Solo or team, the thing will produce. And the extra axle will give a smoother ride.

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
i just got done talking with a recuiter, and yeah, the extra capacity does make things work better, i.e, the comapany I was talking to says as long as it is a legal wieght limit of the truck, they will stick an E load in a Staight Truck, or mutiple loads as long as it does not require more than 20 ft to load

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i just got done talking with a recuiter, and yeah, the extra capacity does make things work better, i.e, the comapany I was talking to says as long as it is a legal wieght limit of the truck, they will stick an E load in a Staight Truck, or mutiple loads as long as it does not require more than 20 ft to load

The $100000 question,did he tell you that you would get E rate on that load in your straight truck,hard to charge the customer for a tractor when a straight truck shows up.

moose

Veteran Expediter
JR1
Make sure you buy a truck to do Expedite,
Not limited yourself to the need/Pay of only one Co./Recruiter.
I Did exactly that mistake this year , at the Dealer i got a truck that will work well with the Big cat , well that only lasts 7 weeks...and I had to alter the truck to Fit a team inside.
If you are going to run Solo most's of the time ,stay away from the big guys .
and as mention above , buy a truck that will lasts.
In many applications a class 7 will do just fine .
it will not lasts if running a team at 72 MPH with LG/Tag axle/Reefer/Ext... ,(well,Not the Hino anyway...)
Also lately it seems like there are some really nice used class 8 St. trucks ...

Moose.