WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Do you...
1) Keep your vehicle under its maximum GVWR, always, or nearly so :p
2) Push the loads above the limit, probably too often :eek:
3) Look for the quickest bang for the buck, GVWR be ****ed :mad:
4) Haven't weighed lately, so not really sure of my cargo capacity :cool:
5) Gee Vee Who?
6) Think I'm dumb enough to answer such a poll under my real name?

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can legally carry about 2850 but told my carrier 2500 since that's what they require. That gives me a 350 pound cushion to work with. Even if I eat a huge lunch and take a doggy bag I'm still good.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We recently hauled a 50 lbs. load from Ohio to California. Our next load was 500 lbs. The load we will pick up today is five lbs.

The weight of all of our October loads combined was less than 10,000 lbs.

What is GVWR? ;)

The freight we haul is not about weight. It's about the added value we provide.

We did just six runs in October, were home for ten days, and grossed over $25,000. Customers are clearly willing to pay for the added value we offer. It has little to do with with the physical freight and truck. In addition to physically transporting the freight, we provide security and generate a flow of information that is highly valued by our customers.

Our business has at least as much to do with information and communication as it has to do with transportation.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry but I can't see what the reason to boast about making money or claiming you are a value has to do with the gvwr poll?

Anywho... not to practice the same bullsh*t, it is number one and always. I think many feel it is flexible but I don't. So it is number one.

Makes me wonder why are there these weight questions are popping up. :confused:

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Makes me wonder why are there these weight questions are popping up.

Greg, just pulsing the industry to help determine which cv will work for me without having to bend the Safe and Legal rules. I wouldn't want to misrepresent my true ccc, though there seems to be some play with the numbers.

If the recruiter will agree to a lesser load capacity than 2500#, that places more options on the table.

This forum has already saved me from a bad purchase decision. :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Everything usually seems simple to me. I will not bend the rules from what the sticker inside my door says, period. The potential risk is exponentially greater than the potential reward. Getting away with it 99 times out of 100 doesn't mean the hundredth time won't bite and bite hard. That simplifies step one. It's the door sticker number and nothing higher.

Step two is build the 'suspect list' of carriers. Talk to them and find out what they require and how much if any flexibility they offer. At that point I'd take the highest minimum cargo weight figure as the requirement for the van I choose. You may go to company B who requires xxx less pounds of cargo than company A but what happens if a year later you realize you should have gone with A? Now you are either locked out of A due to inadequate weight capability or you have to get a different van to work there.

At that point you've got to have an idea of how much weight you'll add outfitting the van plus you and your stuff. I can't give you an estimate on that as I didn't keep good enough records of before and after. I'm sure some of the guys can though.

Oh, I mentioned having about a 350 pound cushion between gvwr and company requirement. I'll never exceed gvwr but if a job used part of my cushion and paid well enough for the heavy weight I'd exceed my contracted limit.

Reactions: 1 person

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My GVWR is 48,000lbs. My empty weight, full full, all our toys, supplies and our weight is 30,000. I have NEVER scaled even close to 18,000lbs. !3,000 is the heaviest and 11oz the lightest. Our average this year is around 700lbs.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
my payload figures out at 3300 lb, but the van is listed at 3000 lbs with the carrier...I have been over the 3000 a few times but never by more the 300 lbs...i am normally less then 2000 lbs....