Green Tea Diet

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I guess being from Michigan, I never sweetened my tea, and I always liked it strong and bitter. I can not drink coffee unless its one of those girly frappacinno flavored and whipped cream things. I just need to get around to brewing some more and putting into water bottles and back in the cooler. Been really bad about that since our little vaca in FL two weeks ago.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Though my family lives in Ohio, I've always felt more like a Southerner, lol, and I like my tea & coffee SWEET. Which is why I was interested in stevia, tehee. Which I just looked up, and found Greg and I are both right: it was banned in 1991, unless labeled as a supplement [political reasons:mad:]
There are some interesting benefits to stevia for diabetics and those with hypertension, too.
Hats off to those who stuck with the green tea - I just didn't like it myself.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Thanks Jenny and Diva. I'll have to try both the lemon and orange varieties. I was raised on unsweetened tea (born and raised in MI), but I discovered raspberry flavored tea from Lipton and got hooked on sweetened tea. (Why are the things that taste the best always the worst for you?? lol) I bought a bottle of white raspberry tea once, just to try it out, and after a couple drinks threw the whole bottle out. Awful stuff!

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Though my family lives in Ohio, I've always felt more like a Southerner, lol, and I like my tea & coffee SWEET. Which is why I was interested in stevia, tehee. Which I just looked up, and found Greg and I are both right: it was banned in 1991, unless labeled as a supplement [political reasons:mad:]
There are some interesting benefits to stevia for diabetics and those with hypertension, too.
Hats off to those who stuck with the green tea - I just didn't like it myself.

Stevia sounds very interesting. Hubby tends to have a problem with hypertension and he drinks so much soda (or pop as it's called in MI) that his sugar tends to be higher than it should too. I've been trying to find a way to switch him to a healthier drink since he won't drink "regular" black tea or plain water. My son-in-law had him try some green tea yesterday and he said it tasted alright but "alright" means.. "Yeah, it didn't make me gag but don't expect me to drink it regularly." lol

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I got serious about the Green Tea Diet a few weeks ago. It is still early in this remarkably easy diet regime to report lasting effects but last night I had to take my belt in a notch to keep my now looser-fitting pants up.

It helps to have developed a taste for green tea. I didn't care much for ths stuff at first but now enjoy it.

Financial benefits include less money spent on soft drinks and less money spent on food.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Glad to know that you're seeing some positive results already. As time goes on, you'll find that you get fewer colds, your blood pressure will lower, and your cholestrol will also lower. And yes, if you make it strong, it does taste kinda like something strained thru a dirty sock...but it does grow on you after you drink it long enough. :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And yes, if you make it strong, it does taste kinda like something strained thru a dirty sock...but it does grow on you after you drink it long enough. :)

Really?

I am wondering what type and/or brand tea everyone is buying?

Loose or in bags?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Glad to know that you're seeing some positive results already. As time goes on, you'll find that you get fewer colds, your blood pressure will lower, and your cholestrol will also lower. And yes, if you make it strong, it does taste kinda like something strained thru a dirty sock...but it does grow on you after you drink it long enough. :)

I'll keep you posted. I get few colds now. The blood pressure result is already realized as reported here. We'll see about the cholesterol as that gets checked with my annual physical each year when we go home for Christmas.

The taste never was as bad as "something strained thru a dirty sock." Diane said it well, "The more you drink of it, the better you like it." It's true. Both of us have come to enjoy the drink.

As I understand the diet from Mindy's posts it is: Drink green tea between meals and in between, and drink it as strong as you can stand it. We add, before you eat anything, drink a cup of tea.

That simple discipline has saved us from a number of fast food stops we would have otherwise made. After drinking the tea, the urge to eat is gone. While drinking the tea we also do a little brain work, making it a point to think about healthy bodies, bringing the desired end result to mind.

In other words, we are changing the way we think about food. Food is no longer the immediate solution to hunger. Tea is.

Of course we continue to eat but because the hunger is reduced after drinking tea, we eat less. Eating has become more enjoyable because on the green tea diet (as we understand it), we can eat anything we wish. The desire to eat out has diminished but the enjoyment in doing so when we do has increased since there is nothing to feel guilty about.

"Why, yes, I believe I will have a piece of that French silk pie for desert, and add a scoop of ice cream too, please." It's all legal if we had our tea before entering the restaurant.

Green tea is guilt free! :)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lipton isn't bad. I used it for a while. Ever try their Green tea with Honey?

I found that if I use the tea bags, it seems not to be as good as buying loose tea and uses a tea ball.

I have some Gun Powder from China and Ceylon that's good - and yes it seems to be an acquired taste. I just got a small box of Longjing, and Mao Jian each that has been added to the collection.

I think with our travels, a stop in Asian markets opens doors to good things.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Lipton isn't bad. I used it for a while. Ever try their Green tea with Honey?

I found that if I use the tea bags, it seems not to be as good as buying loose tea and uses a tea ball.

I have some Gun Powder from China and Ceylon that's good - and yes it seems to be an acquired taste. I just got a small box of Longjing, and Mao Jian each that has been added to the collection.

I think with our travels, a stop in Asian markets opens doors to good things.

Yes, I've tried the green tea with honey but didn't care too much for it. I've never tried loose tea before but would like to sometime.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Bagged tea is junk. Even the high end bagged tea is not good. First off the bags are bleached...not good. Secondly the tea we drink like th Lipton/Redrose stuff is the shake off the floor in the factories....no bull! Tea is the most consumed beverage in the world next to water, we are behind here in North America. Japanese Sencha has the best health benefits, but has it's own taste. Premium loose leaf teas are the way to go, if anyone is interested in how to get premium or organic loose leaf teas and unbleached tea bags send me a PM and I can turn you on to a few companies I buy from.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems to me this diet works due to consciously altered behavior rather than a magic component of green tea leaves. If I drank a pint of water or diet soda or regular old iced tea before a meal, I'd eat less, too.

I'm just sayin'. *shrug*

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It seems to me this diet works due to consciously altered behavior rather than a magic component of green tea leaves. If I drank a pint of water or diet soda or regular old iced tea before a meal, I'd eat less, too.

I'm just sayin'. *shrug*

Consciously altered behavior is part of it, yes but not all of it. Before I got on green tea, I drank diet soda pretty much all day long. No weight loss then. I could substitute water for green tea but do not believe I would receive the blood pressure benefit that I know for a fact is attributable to green tea (see this). Green tea suppresses my appetite more than than water and soda. I know that from personal experimentation. Also, green tea is enjoyable. Drinking water before you eat but when you are not thirsty sucks. I can't say about "regular old iced tea" because I have never tried it.

There IS magic in those green tea leaves and I'm a believer.

Last edited:

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I am wondering if anybody has tried Herbalife Herbal Tea Concentrate or what your thoughts are? I buy it on ebay and mix in my bottled water, not bad tasting, and is supposed to be loaded w/ herbal antioxidants, but also contains cafeine. It sure helps me stay alert on the long hauls. Reading all your post is inspiring me to work on my diet by drinking it before and inbetween meals also, thanx for the idea.

Retidepxe

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Green tea will leave you feeling full for long periods whereas water, soda, etc will not. There are also many, many health benefits to drinking the green tea....too many to list. The "magic" or "secret" to the green tea is that it not only helps to make you feel full, but it also SUPPRESSES your appetite...that's the real "magic secret" and why you'll lose weight.
For me to lose the amount of weight that I have after all these years AND to be able to keep it off this long, goes to show how well the tea really does work. Many of those who never saw me at my heaviest can see my driver's license pic to see the astounding difference. I've gone from a ladies size 14 down to a kids size 16...and have stayed there.
I'm a HUGE BELIEVER in the green tea diet. :)

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Greetings!
Met Phil a couple weekends ago and he directed me to this thread. I've been drinking the Lipton Green Tea in bottles now for a couple years and I really like the stuff. Is this as effective as drinking fresh brew or other forms?

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Greetings!
Met Phil a couple weekends ago and he directed me to this thread. I've been drinking the Lipton Green Tea in bottles now for a couple years and I really like the stuff. Is this as effective as drinking fresh brew or other forms?

No, it's not because the bottled stuff has too much sugar & preservatives in it...which is counterproductive to speeding up your metabolisim.