GPS units, which is the best for over the road driving???

Greg336

Active Expediter
Hello,

I'm an expediter in a cargo van and don't really need a high end GPS but would like to find a good one. I used to have a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 which I loved very much and it did everything that I needed in a GPS but after having to replace the touch screen twice I decided to up grade to a Garmin Dezl 560 LMT.

Boy that was the biggest mistake I ever made, the 560LMT in my opinion is the biggest piece of junk Garmin could have come out with, its NOT user friendly, it takes for ever to produce a long trip for example, from Detroit Mi to Laredo Tx. on the fastest route it take 2 to 5 minutes to put up the route, if I try and switch it over to the shortest route for get it, it takes over 20 minutes. I have talked to Garmin about it and they said give it to them for a MONTH and they will see what is wrong with it.

I would like to hear from all you other drivers out there about your experiences and from anyone that thinks they have found a GREAT GPS as I'm sick of this new Garmin. I would still consider a Garmin if I can find a good one. Thank You.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have a Garmin 700 series and it has been a great unit for around 4 years now. One thing I did before I bought it was I went to the Garmin website. They have (at least did have) a really nice comparison option where you could pull up 4 or 5 units and compare them against each other. I was able to sort through all the features and get the unit that had close to exactly what I wanted it to have on it. It takes quite a bit of research to understand each feature and what it does, but in the end, you get a unit that fits your application.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Something is clearly wrong with that Delz unit. There are overwhelmingly positive reviews all over the net about it, with few negative reviews. Most of the negative reviews are, however, because of ridiculously slow route calculation times, same as you. So there's obviously a problem with a small number of those units. I'd sent it in for a replacement.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use the basic Tom Tom ...only a few times it has steered me wrong....never loses itself...like it alot..and it was only $59.00...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hello,

I'm an expediter in a cargo van and don't really need a high end GPS but would like to find a good one. I used to have a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 which I loved very much and it did everything that I needed in a GPS but after having to replace the touch screen twice I decided to up grade to a Garmin Dezl 560 LMT.

Boy that was the biggest mistake I ever made, the 560LMT in my opinion is the biggest piece of junk Garmin could have come out with, its NOT user friendly, it takes for ever to produce a long trip for example, from Detroit Mi to Laredo Tx. on the fastest route it take 2 to 5 minutes to put up the route, if I try and switch it over to the shortest route for get it, it takes over 20 minutes. I have talked to Garmin about it and they said give it to them for a MONTH and they will see what is wrong with it.

I would like to hear from all you other drivers out there about your experiences and from anyone that thinks they have found a GREAT GPS as I'm sick of this new Garmin. I would still consider a Garmin if I can find a good one. Thank You.

Does your dad live in Redford Mi.?? lol

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not posting for or against but yesterday I posted a thread about a 5" screen unit with lifetime updates for I think $80.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do a search for top GPS units, or best GPS units. Read several of them. Take into consideration the reviews and comparisons from places like PC Mag, PC World, and the like, as they mostly paid reviews to push certain brands and models, but there is some good information there. For example, if the "top five" includes 4 or 5 different brands, you know those aren't the top five best units. Four of the five best units are actually all the same brand. Sites like this are valuable, but far from what should be the sole source of information. One review will praise a particular unit, another will slam if all over the place. But if you read enough of them and do enough comparisons, you'll find one you like.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be awesome!! I didn't know you could do that! When I hit the go home button it would be so cool to have Cartman say, "Screw you guys, I'm goin' home."

It's great. If you take the wrong turn he starts throwing F bombs at you.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our Garmin DEZL works great. Maybe 1 out of 100 times does it take awhile to calculate and that it usually because of a weight limit or height restriction that it is trying to find a way around.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Lets see, i have a Rand McNally 510 on the windshield..A Garmin program loaded in my laptop..And my QualComm as a GPS feature...they all load fast and all will give me a different route 90% of the time!!!!
:eek:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My Droid uses google maps....and that I have found to be the most accurate....if its not on Google...it Dosent exist...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
I also use the DEZL. It is well worth the cost. Keeps my big truck out of places it shouldn't be. Plus all the features are excellent.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We like the Garmin Diezel also. Threw the 710 out. Black screen of death constantly

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive been using GOOGLE Maps and Navigation with excellent results, it updates all the time, and there is a PREMIUM option and its all available on ANDROID MARKET....I have used the Garmin and found them to be good units but you must keep on top of MAP UPDATES/SOFTWARE etc so having a laptop and USB access helps. Go to Best Buy they have a large display of GPS devices and you can see the displays program them and use the GUI etc and see whats best, Stay away from the Rand Mcnally theyve had some major issues with them, Im sure it will be fixed but theres been hundreds of them returned or recalled. Garmin was the creator alonf with Magellan on GPS and I tend to prefer them, But it all depends on what you need.

All GPS units ARE NOT TRUCK SPECIFIC so it can steer you down roads and into places you need to use your head and eyes, dont blindly drive along and trust this black box...Truck Specific units have truck routes and help prevent those fines...

I like to plot routes using Pro Miles, Then plug it into my GPS and use it as a Guide....driving is still a HUMAN FUNCTION !!!!