GPS Systems?

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
What are some really good GPS systems for trucking? I'm kinda nervous about just trotting out and buying one. Don't want to get a Tom Tom or something, and then get routed thru all kinds of no truck zones and low clearence streets.

What does y'all use?

Thanks,
Christopher

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Use the search function and look up GPS. You can spend several hours reading on what people like and dislike about any unit that is made at this time.

There is really no good truck route GPS out here even though some have claimed to be once they are put to the test they fall apart fast.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
No matter what GPS system you get now, you will always need to check to see if you are able to use that specific route. All the GPS systems are human programmed and just like any human, errors happen. We always check the route on our GPS once its showed us one, because even though it may figured the route it knows, you might know some inside secrets that might make your travels a lot easier and uncomplicated. GPS systems are good to help find particular addresses, but going from one city to another is sometimes better just looking at the map. We have a TomTom 3rd Edition and she (we call her Lola hehe) has us doing all kinds of weird things, like turning on roads thats not even there. She sometimes has us taking the long way around. This isn't because GPS system isn't working properly, its because there were some things programmed into the mapping wrong. Maybe because who programmed it made a mistake or they didn't have all the information needed to make it correct.

So, don't rely on the GPS all by itself. They are nice to have trying to find a particular street or address.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use Delorme Street Atlas on our laptop. As stated above and in many other similar threads in here, we ALWAYS check the routing against the Rand McNally Trucking atlas to insure that we can travel that route. layoutshooter

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
I figured. I want it mostly for those horrible times when no one at the destination is picking up, and you can't get anyone at Panther, and the directions they supplied you (because you can't get the ship/cons to pickup) have you in BFE somewere. I once was going to a shipper in West Laffayette, IN. They mapquested directions because none of us could get them. Mapquest sent me to a place more than 10 miles from the shipper. I was an hour late because no one at shipper was answering.

Just trying to avoid those sorts of horrors this time around.

Thanks,
Christopher

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Until a true truck-specific GPS comes out, the Garmin Nuvi works very well - even the low end model will get you where you're going. Just remember that it doesn't know from low clearances, but if you disregard the routing, it will automatically recalculate your route almost instantly.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
As layoutshooter suggested, purchase a copy of the Rand McNally Trucking Atlas. It has listings in the front of each state's low clearances, restricted routes and scale locations. We always compare our gps suggested route against those listings. Also, keep in mind that it's not a complete listing. It just lists those on state and U.S. highways, not on individually named streets in towns and cities. You still need to be vigilant and watch for signs.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I bought the cheap Garmin 180 street pilot I believe it is, at wal mart a couple years ago , it does ok but once in a while it will have you completely turned around, sometimes I think that somewhere out there controlling my gps there is a chick with really tall hairsprayed blond hair chewing on a piece of hubba bubba twirling it around her index finger and forgets to pay attention to where she is directing me. But I just tell myself that she just dosent know any better and be sure and thank her for the good times and not just complain about the bad.

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
What about pc miler . If u go on there web site they sell them for like $400 in the truckers pro division or called truck pilot . I dont know how good they are but for 100 bucks you can put one on your lap top .