GPS Locating County Rd. Addresses.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The only difference between paper maps and electronic maps is you have learn how to read and use it. Oh, wait... that's the same for both. Never mind.

Again right on target.

Another great invention is the telephone ... now called a cell phone but the principle is the same. I would call the number I get and do something that most guys refuse to do, ask for directions.

When I get those odd addresses, something like that secret GM testing site in the desert of Indiana, I use a weird sounding thing called the Internet and look at the actual site, using some off the wall site called Google Maps. It seems to work for me, a lot like EO.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So Greg you use technology but just the ones you approve of. This thread has some good tips on how to make better use of a GPS, your suggestion of maps notwithstanding.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Anyone ever here of this invention - a Map?

Another great invention is the telephone ... now called a cell phone but the principle is the same. I would call the number I get and do something that most guys refuse to do, ask for directions.

When I get those odd addresses, something like that secret GM testing site in the desert of Indiana, I use a weird sounding thing called the Internet and look at the actual site, using some off the wall site called Google Maps. It seems to work for me, a lot like EO.
When you say it.... Never mind it's not worth it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Honestly I'm thinking this goes beyond the nav unit. Many become too dependent on them and get mad at the carrier or the unit itself, so I think it is funny when every gets upset with comments like use a map.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Honestly I'm thinking this goes beyond the nav unit. Many become too dependent on them and get mad at the carrier or the unit itself, so I think it is funny when every gets upset with comments like use a map.

I don't think people get upset by being told to use a map, but I think some feel the inference is that they are being denigrated for using available modern technology, as if they are lazy for opting to use a convenience so helpful to the industry. When GPS can't find an obscure address, the suggestion to use a map wouldn't help either. Map or GPS, the end result is often the same: implement Plan C.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I only am making suggestions that take people beyond the norm. I can only offer what I have learned without a nab unit and hope it would help someone.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think the "use a map" suggestion is just the best sarcastic remark they can think of. You won't find many local streets in a trucker's atlas. You would have to buy a city map of every city you pick up and deliver in.

One of the best things I love about my GPS is that I rarely have to call the shipper or consignee for directions. By aoiding that phone call, I avoid the irritation of leaving voice mails that never get returned, the irritation of not having the correct number and the irritation of actually talking to someone who either thinks you must be a real idiot if you can find them....or, they couldn't find the place themselves if they didn't live within walking distance.

I LOVE my GPS and always have.

I have learned enough tricks with my GPS that I can usually come up with something that gets me close. If not, I'll get on Google maps and I can usually find it there. My very, very last resort is to attempt to make contact with the shipper or consignee...for reasons listed above plus many others I'm sure I've left out.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I only am making suggestions that take people beyond the norm. I can only offer what I have learned without a nab unit and hope it would help someone.
Bull. You are trying to come off as this old grizzled over the road vet from the sixties with 50 years of driving the roads before the invention of street signs.

I would think that there are several of us that have been on the road with a map when nothing else was available. There was no posts that said that they couldn't make their delivery, they were stating ways to work around some of the problems with their GPS. Get a grip, you can't be the expert on everything.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
jaminjim; said:
Get a grip, you can't be the expert on everything.

Actually jim, I'm not trying to be an expert, that is reserved for another member ... actually two.

My suggestion and comments are based on common sense which is a lot of times is lost when people get behind the wheel BECAUSE they are rushed. Many are conditioned by this BS notion that there is a need to rush to a delivery, and a few companies instill this by telling them some BS line. Most of the time the self-imposed time limits are just BS to begin with.

So ...

Many don't get into a good habit of checking and double checking directions by comparing two different sources, which is one reason why I posted as I did. A lot of people become dependent on the nav system, and get frustrated with it when it does not give them the results that they expect. I would like to see more people think, THINK about getting into the habit of slowing down just enough to make sure they have the right directions so they can plan their route safely and to be on time.

It is easy for us to banter back and forth about this, you may be offended by my comments but I am offended by the thought that some of you think I am directing towards you when you and others are not the target I'm trying to reach.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use the "use the map" thing all the time. I'd prefer to say "use the Force", but that doesn't work in expediting.

Then I say "use the map", I'm never referring to a paper map, per se. A map is a map, whether it's printed or electronic. The Garmin and all other GPS units have maps in them. They can be used as maps, and not just as an overlay for GPS coordinates for directions.

I recently had a delivery where the address could not be found by the Garmin. Nor Streets & Trips and PC Miler. Google Maps thought it knew, but it didn't. Google was way wrong. I found the consignee's Web site, which had a useless map, but decent driving directions. So on the Garmin, Where to, Near, Another City, type in the city, then Browse Map. Zoom in and out and move the map around until you match it up with the driving directions, follow those to there the driving directions end, punch it and GO. That's using a map to get you where you need to go. Doesn't matter if it's en electronic or paper map, it's used in the same way. Just don't get locked into it being a case of inputting the address, or nothing. Use the map, Luke.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Seeing as how this business is referred to as "expedite", then there is an implied urgency to delivery. It isn't called "lollygag and play with maps and get there when you daggone feel like it". It does not mean endangering themselves and others. All loads Jeff has have a delivery time, based on 50 mph. Driving 55-58, he makes the found ones in plenty of time and has opportunity to locate the uncharted ones. If one cannot or will not accept and honor the time constraints of this business, using whatever means possible to properly complete the load, then they need to find a nice home based venture...they can work at their own pace and protect the public from themselves.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
You forgot the Abacus!!! <spelling>

We also prefer the Ouija and Magic 8-ball methods. With Smartphones, one can access an online Ouija and dowload a Magic 8-ball. No storage space required for those clunky items plus having to keep up with the pointer or worrying about leakage.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Google Navigation has worked great for me, Ive used it and Laptop with Updated Google EARTH, if that fails Ive got Co Pilot on my cellphone and Promiles on Laptop......

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I can't believe I forgot to mention the Divining Rod. Works best in Bayou Country.