GPS Locating County Rd. Addresses.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Be careful when entering a County road numbered address into your GPS. In many states Indiana in particular, the same road number may be in as much as 4 different locarions in the same county. The two GPS systems I carry will serve up only one of them.

IE: Going to the Honda plant at Greensburg Indiana. The address givin is1955 W. County Rd.250 N. Both units led to a location 20 miles from the plant. (A different Rt 250)

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Ive had the same problem already too with multi named roads. If you put in 1999 N. Michigan Ave. into the GPS for the Honda plant instead of the county named road it will take you right to the gate practically. Got this info from my QC last time I picked up there.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also a good idea when looking in a rural area not to put a city name as you will frequently get "no results" showing up. Just do a state wide search.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I always double check the routing with my DeLorme mapping program on the laptop .... it gives a bigger view, in case I don't like the routing the GPS provides, those things do weird things!

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have a Garmin.. It won't let me use abbreviation for county road, state highway.. you gotta spell the whole thing out or it simply says "not found"..

There are days I want to chuck it out the window. I have found my android is easier to use, it knows where the traffic is BEFORE I am stuck in it and, I can just tell it the address and it figures it out.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Garmin.. It won't let me use abbreviation for county road, state highway.. you gotta spell the whole thing out or it simply says "not found"..

There are days I want to chuck it out the window. I have found my android is easier to use, it knows where the traffic is BEFORE I am stuck in it and, I can just tell it the address and it figures it out.

Try just putting the number without a prefix.If its say 5436 County Rd 46 I put 5436 for number and 46 for street and my garmin will normally show it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On my Garmin I usually don't put anything other than the number for the state highway or the country road. Enter the street address, and then the number (like State Highway 25 would be entered as "25" and nothing more). Most of the time that works, but not always. County roads (Farm Road) in Texas are even more odd, where the Garmin won't find it unless you enter "cr-2145", but sometimes in wants "c r 2145" or "cr 2145". The space matters, so does the dash. But you never know until you try them all which one will work.

Google Navigator is pretty good in that you can tell it the name of the place and the city and state and it'll usually find it. But not always. It doesn't know where the Honda plant in Greensburg is, for example. It's close, but not quite. It has the USF Holland terminal in Gallipolis about 6 miles off from where it actually is, the other side of town. But, the Yellow Pages app came through with the Holland phone number. :D

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter

Since I have gotten the Android, we have had really good luck by just entering the receiver's name, city, and state when the Garmin just won't do.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My carrier has been accused of being technologically challenged, often sends us latitude and longitude. I punch those numbers in. Correct locations 100% of the time.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Anyone ever here of this invention - a Map?
Just how many maps would you suggest? I ran 48 states and 5 provinces in a 13 month period with over 150 pickups and deliveries, most were not in the Atlas nor the state maps. So 300 local maps?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just how many maps would you suggest? I ran 48 states and 5 provinces in a 13 month period with over 150 pickups and deliveries, most were not in the Atlas nor the state maps. So 300 local maps?

Yes. And a compass, sextant, and links and chains for old school measurement :p

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Anyone ever here of this invention - a Map?

Yeah, but unfortunately, maps don't often include County Highway 3761G NW that is a gravel road 5 miles long which dead ends at an abandoned gator farm.

Not to mention the locals may refer to a road by it's old highway number but the thing was renamed in 1960; and there is no current indication of the old highway number on maps, signs, etc.

Maps maps more maps. Have to be kept organized and stored. There is enough daily documentation to manage. Then having to pull over, get the map, try to find the dinky gray line road, utilizes road time...2 minutes? Twenty? Let's not forget the space needed in the vehicle for things like, say, FREIGHT.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The only difference between paper maps and electronic maps is you have learn how to read and use it. Oh, wait... that's the same for both. Never mind.