Goodbye & Good Riddance To IL Split Speed Limits!

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Source: Chicago Tribune

Truck speed limit increases on major highways

CHICAGO - Gov. Pat Quinn has signed a new law increasing the speed limit for large trucks on major highways in Illinois outside the six-county Chicago area to 65 mph.

Under the bill signed into law Friday, the increase applies to trucks carrying a gross weight of 8,001 pounds or more on interstates and other highways with at least four lanes and dividing medians. Within Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties, however, the speed limit for such trucks will be 55 mph.

The speed limit for trucks carrying a gross weight of 8,000 pounds or less will also be 65 mph, which also applies on the Illinois State Tollway system outside urban areas.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well its a start.... the problem has been there is no enforcement for them RVs who think they are sports cars....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now we need to get Michigan on board, YEAH RIGHT. I sure hope ON and QC are keeping an eye on this. Maybe they can learn something. I sure feel SILLY driving up there, cars and light trucks FLYING past me and the cops not doing a dang gum thing to slow them down. Why do they even have traffic cops up there? I KNOW, to check trucks for limiters!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Michigan is a WRECK!! I am almost embarssed to say that I was born there. Unless we MAKE the polititions wise up I fear that the State is going to end up worse than California.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am going to "BUY" the entire State when it goes up for sale. THEN when I set up the NEW way of doing things watch what happens. LOL!!

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I don't mean to try and start anything but drivers around Detroit and most of south east MI have to be about the worst in the country IMNSHO. I think MI's motto should be "We use to know how to build cars not use them"

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't mean to try and start anything but drivers around Detroit and most of south east MI have to be about the worst in the country IMNSHO. I think MI's motto should be "We use to know how to build cars not use them"

That's the truth. We lead the world in mirror replacement sales and in scratch and dent cars that have less than 3000 miles on them.

I was coming home yesterday from my truck and as I was driving down 94 just passing 75, I was passed by a girl in a red state vehicle. She was doing at least 80, with the state owned plates on the back of the car that i could not read.

I really thought we had a budget crisis here in this state, because if we did then shouldn't we start with limiting the use of state own vehicles on the road and even consider putting speed limiters on them to make the go less than 60 mph?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
It has been about 5 months since I've been to Michigan and I was reminded what a mess this causes on the Interstate....not to mention the bad condition of the roads. :(

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What condition of what roads?

We have some of the best pot holes in the Midwest right here in my area not to mention the test track called Southfield road where Michigan trains fear to tread!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe if Michigan spent less on billboards all over the country promoting tourism [snort] and more to fix the roads, they'd not drive the tourists who do come away, eh?

wellarmed

Not a Member

If there were ever a contest, my money would be bet on Texas.

wellarmed

Not a Member
What condition of what roads?

We have some of the best pot holes in the Midwest right here in my area not to mention the test track called Southfield road where Michigan trains fear to tread!

Southfield has got to be one of the worst I can think of off hand, you can't fly a plane over that road. If my grandmother were still alive she would be proud of the quilting technique used to patch the patches on cornfield, I mean Southfield.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Don't ya think M.I , will have a problem raising the limits ,
with all those Obeist Over wight trucks up there ?

do you really want to allow an 36 wheel , 140,000 P. truck to go that fast ?

or do you still limit those ?
(and still have split speed , only you can speed...)

also , at many part of the state , the on ramp margin is too short.
can you imagine trying to get a family car into traffic with faster trucks hamming the right lanes ?

at 59 MPH , i can care less , just wondering here.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Southfield has got to be one of the worst I can think of off hand, you can't fly a plane over that road. If my grandmother were still alive she would be proud of the quilting technique used to patch the patches on cornfield, I mean Southfield.

The off and on ramps of 94 onto 275 will rattle your teeth lose and more.....both roads have been done the ramps I guess weren't in the contract???

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
ah HA! I knew it...you can take the boy out of Michigan but you can't take Michigan out of the boy!:)