GMC 3500 with 16' Box or a Sprinter, which is bett

MSinger

Expert Expediter
RE: GMC 3500 with 16' Box or a Sprinter, which is

The only dual rear wheel Aerocells I have seen on the GMC cutaway have had a 12000# GVWR. I don't know if they could make one out of the 10,000# GVWR and still give you enough payload capability to make it worth your while. I would like to take a 10,000# GMC and have the box raised to dock height. The only problem would be re-sealing the area between the cab and cube since they are bonded together unlike a cab/chassis Sprinter or pickup where the box and cab are separate.

Mileater

Seasoned Expediter

This white one is a bit higher than the yellow ones above, still not dock high though. Would you prefer this one? The box is 14'.

2000GMC35008500white14.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I can't find the exact weight of a C4500 Kodiak chassis but with a 17' Aerocell body installed it can't be over 10k. With a 16k GVW that allows 1k of sleeper/stuff/driver and still has 5k of payload. I'd build it out with a custom sleeper that goes across the front at a height of about 54". That would allow 4 floor spots for skids up to the dunnage racks with the posts on them for stacking and the 2 rear floor spots would take 2 stacked skids so you could carry up to 6 skids in it. The other option would be to build refrigerator, storage, etc. along the top of one side and a fold down bed along the other wall and then you could have 4 stacked floor spots down the center.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

MSinger

Expert Expediter

That would work. What I would really like to do is take a 2003 or newer Ram 3500 Quad Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel single rear wheel with a GVW of 9900. Remove the pickup box, stretch the frame and put a 12-14' long dock high box on it. Then get a dually conversion kit. (All Dodge duallys from the factory are rated at least 10,500.)
You could then remove the rear seat and either place a cot or air mattress for a climate controlled sleeper area.
I would even go for the cargo boxes designed for the SRW trucks but I can't find one with an interior width of at least 80". They all seem to be 77-78" wide. At least by going 80" you could still haul 2- 40" wide skids side by side for a total of 6 skids. It seems like most of the freight I haul is on either 40x48 or 45x48 skids nowadays. So by doing the standard size box for the dually (96 outside width 91 inside width)it would be beneficial to go ahead and put the dual rear wheels for the extra width.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

LDB is probably not far off. Alot of states are setting the ground work for logs in the smaller vehicles. Their target is vans and duallies pulling trailers commercially.
Yes, Michigan is one of them.
With that, I would go to a heavy duty areocell. Weight is only really a issue because of the logs. When that goes out the window, then it is customer demand. Half the vans out there lose 50 percent of their loads because they are not dock high. I would get something dock high or use ramps so that you are. The Landstar guy we met recently was doing exactly that to keep from losing loads.
If one is really afraid of logs I would think about a courier or cab business.

Forgot to add.
Sprintergen is a great unit as likely is the small Powertechs that are designed for a Sprinter

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Mileater

Seasoned Expediter

I noticed the smaller 12' cube have a smaller engine, the 4.8L instead of the 6.0L. Also just 2 wheels on the rear axle rather than 4. It should get better MPG, although I cannot find any stats on it anywhere.

Anyone have an opinion on this truck

2003GMCCargo12Interior.jpg

2003GMC12Cube.jpg

It has those wheel well indents into the cargo, the larger cubes are nice and flat, no indents. Also no door to the cargo area from the cabin so I'd have to cut one in myself, the larger cubes usually come with them. Should be good for 3 skids where the 16 footer can probably fit 8 skids if weight was not an issue.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

>Anyone have an opinion on this truck

If the condition is at least decent and if the miles aren't ridiculous and if there's a company that you want to run for that is accepting the particular style truck and if the price is reasonable then just about any van or truck is an adequate choice. You just have to weigh all those factors as well as it's potential if you decide you want/need/must change companies. If only the original company is going to accept the vehicle then it's no good regardless of the other factors.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Whatever configuration you decide to go with, I'd pay more attention to where you're going to sleep - if your bed isn't comfortable, you're going to be unhappy. And when you're uncomfortable & unhappy, you don't stay out on the road as much as you'd planned. If I were sleeping on a cot, I'd want to come home after every load! You will find, I think, that being as comfortable as possible, with a good driver's seat & a good bed, will make your very long days much easier. Don't get so focused on cargo capacity that you forget you will be living in the thing, & discomfort gets old fast...how quickly will you accept a long run if your back is killing you from the crappy driver's seat, & you aren't sleeping much? Good luck!

MSinger

Expert Expediter

Make sure you measure the length of the box. I saw on a couple of sites that were selling the used Penske GMC 3500 cubes that stated the actual length of the box was only like 15.1' but was being marketed as a 16 footer. The 12 footers were only 11'3". Here is the info listed on www.penskeusedtrucks.com.

Good info! Thanks! Edited to close up some of the space so more specs show up without scrolling for comparison between two sizes. LDB

12' Gas Cargo Van
• EFI V-8 Engine
• Automatic Transmission
• Air Conditioning
• AM/FM radio
• Power steering
• Bucket seats
• Dual faced mirrors for easier vision
• Anti-lock brakes for safer stops
• Deck Height - 30â€
• Inside dimensions:
Length 11' 3"
Width 6' 5"
Height 6' 1"
Door Height 5' 3"
Door Width 6'
• 53" Flat floor between wheel wells
• 450 cubic feet
• 3,500 lb load capacity
• Approx. 80K Miles

16' Gas Cargo Van
• EFI V-8 Engine
• Automatic Transmission
• Air Conditioning
• AM/FM radio
• Power steering
• Bucket seats
• Deck Height - 40"
• Inside dimensions:
Length 15' 1"
Width 7' 8"
Height 6' 5"
Door Height 5' 9"
Door Width 7' 4"
• 765 cubic feet
• 3,000 lb load capacity
• Pull-Out Ramp
• Ramp Width 23 1/4"
• 2" Ball Hitch
• Approx. 80K Miles

22’ Cargo Van
• 195 H.P. Diesel Engine (DT 466)
• Allison Automatic Transmission
• Air Conditioning
• AM/FM radio
• Power steering
• Bench seats
• Deck Height – 4' 5" (Dock Height)
• Inside dimensions:
Length 21' 2"
Width 7' 8"
Height 7' 1"
Door Height 6' 5"
Door Width 7'
• 1175 cubic feet
• 9,100 lb load capacity
• Pull-Out Ramp
• Ramp Width 24"
• 2" Ball Hitch
• Approx. 90K Miles

26’ Cargo Van
• 195 H.P. Diesel Engine (DT 466)
• Allison Automatic Transmission
• Air Conditioning
• AM/FM radio
• Power steering
• Bench seats
• Deck Height – 4' 5" (Dock Height)
• Inside dimensions:
Length 25' 3"
Width 7' 8"
Height 7' 1"
Door Height 6' 5"
Door Width 7'
• 1400 cubic feet
• 12,500 lb load capacity
• Pull-Out Ramp
• Ramp Width 24"
• 2" Ball Hitch
• Approx. 90K Miles

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Unless specified differently I believe box length is usually always given as outside length.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Leo
4500 with 16 foot (maybe a 17 foot) box weighed in at 10,630lbs fueled with 55 gallon tank. With equipment added it went up to 11,200lbs and still without one rather pudgy driver - that will add another 265lbs and no personal equipment which is another 400 or so lbs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

On a 17500# 4500 chassis that leaves about 5500 for freight. Not too bad but about 1k heavier than I expected before cargo.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Mileater

Seasoned Expediter

>Make sure you measure the length of the box. I saw on a
>couple of sites that were selling the used Penske GMC 3500
>cubes that stated the actual length of the box was only like
>15.1' but was being marketed as a 16 footer. The 12 footers
>were only 11'3". Here is the info listed on
>www.penskeusedtrucks.com.
>
>Good info! Thanks! Edited to close up some of the space so
>more specs show up without scrolling for comparison between
>two sizes. LDB
>
>12' Gas Cargo Van
>• EFI V-8 Engine
>• Automatic Transmission
>• Air Conditioning
>• AM/FM radio
>• Power steering
>• Bucket seats
>• Dual faced mirrors for easier vision
>• Anti-lock brakes for safer stops
>• Deck Height - 30â€
>• Inside dimensions:
> Length 11' 3"
> Width 6' 5"
> Height 6' 1"
> Door Height 5' 3"
> Door Width 6'
>• 53" Flat floor between wheel wells
>• 450 cubic feet
>• 3,500 lb load capacity
>• Approx. 80K Miles
>
>
>16' Gas Cargo Van
>• EFI V-8 Engine
>• Automatic Transmission
>• Air Conditioning
>• AM/FM radio
>• Power steering
>• Bucket seats
>• Dual faced mirrors for easier vision
>• Anti-lock brakes for safer stops
>• Deck Height - 40"
>• Inside dimensions:
> Length 15' 1"
> Width 7' 8"
> Height 6' 5"
> Door Height 5' 9"
> Door Width 7' 4"
>• 765 cubic feet
>• 3,000 lb load capacity
>• Pull-Out Ramp
>• Ramp Width 23 1/4"
>• 2" Ball Hitch
>• Approx. 80K Miles
>

Very interesting, thanks for that info. Actually I like the 16' to be a foot shorter. I think 16' was too long for a cube van, 15' sounds better. Strange how the 12' can carry more weight with just 2 wheels on the rear axle.

The 12' cube is missing a few things compared to the larger cubes like an access door to the cargo area from the cabin, a slide out ramp for cargo if you plan on moving a few things yourself, interior hieght seems too low, deck height too low at 30", the larger cubes at 40" are only 8" under dock height, wheel well indents into cargo area.

The larger cubes have more that I like, just worse MPG.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

I just posted a thread in Truck Talk just like this one, but somehow I had missed this thread.

MSinger,

What you have in mind with the Dodge Ram, I have also thought of by using an F-350. Or better yet, I would love to find that either GM or Ford makes a 1 ton van with an extended or "crew cab." There's your sleeper right there, as well as an area to just put your seat back a little when desired. To compensate that extra few feet, just put a 12' box on it (the 96" wide version). Bam!!

Jeff

MSinger

Expert Expediter

The dually pickups pulling trailers commercially are already required to log due to the GVWR of the truck alone (at least 10,500)not to mention the combined rating of the truck and trailer. Most of these guys are lucky to be under the CDL ratio of 26,000. Of course the illegals hauling for U-Ship with no DOT authorization are putting us all under the spotlight.

MSinger

Expert Expediter

Hey, mileeater I found another truck that may be of interest to you. Unfortunately I could not copy and paste the photos but here is the website for the photos. It is a 2005 Chevy 3500 express cutaway with single rear wheels. It has a flat floor and it also has the pass through cab access. Looks like the deck height is approx 40" as well. The ad didn't give dimensions for the box but it appears to be approx 12' long and is no wider than the cab (probably 77-78") It is at Bobb Chevrolet in Columbus, Ohio.
Their website is www.bobbchevrolet.com and go to the commercial section stock number 21643.
The actual photos are below:
www.autobase.com/photos/large/02057332.jpg
www.autobase.com/photos/large/02057332b.jpg
www.autobase.com/photos/large/02057332h.jpg

MSinger

Expert Expediter

Sorry. I tried typing the actual web address to the photos and it still wouldn't come through. Just gave red x's. So I guess you will just have to go to the bobb chevrolet website and find it. The photos were on autobase.com but I could not get them to paste or link it to this page. It is definitely worth looking at. It is still a bit narrow for me. So I would still prefer the DRW model.

Mileater

Seasoned Expediter

I tried their site and nothing comes up, I get a black screen. The site might be down currently. I'll try again tomorrow.

MSinger

Expert Expediter

I found another link. Try www.bobbtrucks.com. Click on "Inventory" then click on "vans". Scroll to the bottom of the van page and it is the next to the last vehicle on pg. 1.

Mileater

Seasoned Expediter

Found it, very interesting Msinger. I have not seen this setup, it's a new 2005 that was never bought. It seems to have it all, although since it's new it is more than I planned on paying. Also it's not as snappy looking as the yellow 12' one above for some reason. But it's another option I suppose.

2005Chev12raised.jpg

2005Chev12raisedside.jpg