GM CV owners

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have about 100,000 miles on my 2006 Chevrolet Express CV. I wanted to change spark plugs, but my trusted mechanic says not to bother. He claims the platinum plugs run way farther then that. How often do you other guys change plugs and do they look bad when you take them out? Also have you seen any better milage when the plugs are brand new? After your answers, I may just change them myself this weekend. I am not experiencing any misfires or roughness of any kind. I have the 4.8 engine. Thanks guys!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They're designed to last about 50,000 miles in most vehicles. 100,000 is the upper limit, generally. Best way is to pull 'em out and look. If they're clean and white they're good to go as long as they can be re-gapped. If they're oily and burned, they're toast.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Funny you post this..A local Mechanic told me the same thing last week..I wanted plugs and wires done and he stated he wont take on any work unless there is a defined proplem.
Needless to say I will find someone else to do the work.Its not needed to my knowledge, I just want it done.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have a 4.8 and a couple of 6.0's, change them. Why take a chance. Thats kindof like saying well my water pumps leaking, I'll change it next week.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I go 150k on mine. Iridium tipped. No difference in performance or mpg when changed. Oh, YMMV.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
325,000 out of last plugs and wires...changed due to.... geees how many miles can you get...were working just fine..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Turtle, if I pull them out to look at them and check gap! At that point I would change them regardless of how they look. Changing them is too much work to put them back. After reading the comments, I'll change them before winter but I have no urgency to do them immediately. Thanks for all the input guys.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
2009 6.0,,, 156757 mile as i type this...just got the best mileage the truck as ever got on my last load. avg 15.8 for 2082 miles with 2200 lbs onboard running between 65-70 mph ac on most but not all of the miles....it does have a rough idle "at times", i am think more of a dirty injector instead of a spark plug....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's good milage for a 6.0 with the hight and length of your truck body. I'm not sure what others are getting with their 4.8 but I get 16.3 on a bad windy day and about 17.5 on a nice calm day. I have the 4 speed automatic transmission with 3.73 gearing. I got lucky once with about a 40 mph tail wind for a whole fuel tank and got 20.4 mpg, but that was a fluke, never happened again. What milage are you other 4.8 owners getting?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
That's good milage for a 6.0 with the hight and length of your truck body. I'm not sure what others are getting with their 4.8 but I get 16.3 on a bad windy day and about 17.5 on a nice calm day. I have the 4 speed automatic transmission with 3.73 gearing. I got lucky once with about a 40 mph tail wind for a whole fuel tank and got 20.4 mpg, but that was a fluke, never happened again. What milage are you other 4.8 owners getting?

As i said thats the best it has ever gotten. I have gotten 15-15.2 from time to time, but never consistently..I do get a consistent 14 running between 65-70..the oil change has been the K&N air filter and it was a great change...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What year is your 4.8 ? Do you have the 6 speed auto? That's great milage! I do run faster then you, normally a couple miles over. In ND that means 77-78 mph. That's when I only get in the 16s. I like to get wherever I'm going ASAP. OMV will now tell me to slow down and save money. LOL

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow!!! That's impressive milage. If prices keep going up maybe I will slow down. It's just 65 feels like your not getting anywhere. Mine is a 3500 but I can't see where that would make any difference.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Wow!!! That's impressive milage. If prices keep going up maybe I will slow down. It's just 65 feels like your not getting anywhere. Mine is a 3500 but I can't see where that would make any difference.

Sometimes it helps to do the math of how much you save in fuel and parts compared to the time saved. The time saved will not be as simple as figuring 70mph nets 70mph, you have to remember you are slowed down by traffic moving slower than you much more frequently than driving at 63mph. You might average 60mph doing 70 but average 58mph doing 63. The benefit of slowing down goes beyond cash in your pocket, it is also much more relaxing and enjoyable. You aren't likely to lose any loads since more often than not you end up sitting and waiting. Your company should also know when your appointment is so if a load does come up they can still get it for you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What year is your 4.8 ? Do you have the 6 speed auto? That's great milage! I do run faster then you, normally a couple miles over. In ND that means 77-78 mph. That's when I only get in the 16s. I like to get wherever I'm going ASAP. OMV will now tell me to slow down and save money. LOL
There was a time when I was like that. 2-3 MPH over the limit, because you can get away with that without getting a ticket, right? Plus, 72 in a 70 versus 62 in a 70 gets you an extra 10 minutes every hour, and those add up. An 8 hour run nets you every bit of 80 minutes to get there early or for an extra hour of sleep somewhere.

Then, I had a problem with the Sprinter with a combination of high pressure injector pump and fuel rail which caused a modified "limp home" mode where I had plenty of power at all speeds, except I was maxed out at about 63 MPH. It was like I had a governor on the engine. I ran that way for about 4 months. The first week was excruciating because I felt like it was taking for-ever to get anywhere. After another week it suddenly wasn't so bad and I wasn't any longer in any hurry to get back home for a $2000 repair. So I just ran that way for a while. Instead of looking for a load to get me near home, I instead just waited for a load that just so happened to take me near home. Turned out it was 4 months. I discovered I really wasn't losing any time, and I was more relaxed after the runs.

But the big one was the added 3 MPG I was getting over time. 22 MPG versus 19 MPG. At $3.50 a gallon it's the difference between 15.9 cents a mile and 18.4 cents a mile, 2.5 cents a mile. It's not much, but also at the time the reduced speed meant less wear on tires, bearings, brakes, and cooler transmission and rear end oil temperatures which translates to reduced wear on those parts, as well. The math works out to at least an additional half a cent a mile for reduced wear, so it was about 3 cents per mile overall.

In those 4 months I logged 33,000 miles. At 3 cents per, that's $990 in real money. Free money. And it paid for half the injector pump and fuel rail repair. An extra 2-3 cents per mile for most vanners will mean an extra two grand a year that you don't have to spend on fuel. That's serious money.

I've long since had the van repaired but I continue to run not 2-3 over, but generally 3-5 under the speed limit. And it's rare that I will exceed 65 regardless of the posted speed limit, even out west where it's 75 and 80. Not only do you get better fuel mileage going a little slower, but there are many situations where increased fuel economy becomes magnified thanks to a phenomenon called "long distance drafting". It's most readily observable on the Ohio Turnpike, and other places where it's relatively flat with a fair amount of traffic, where you travel 3-5 MPH slower than most of the other traffic on the road, and as they whiz by you their drafting wake literally pulls you along behind them. I've gotten just stoopid mileage on the Pike and a few other places, like 26 and 28 MPG. It's not always that good, of course, but whatever it is, it's always better to have them drag you along, than it is for you to do all that extra work in dragging them along.

There are two undeniable truths of traveling along the highways like we do. One is, if you are getting passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane. The other is, if you are passing more people than are passing you, you're driving too fast.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You make a lot of good points. I think I'll try running slower for a few weeks and see how it feels. I'll enjoy the fuel savings too. I pass dozens of expedited vans every week, I don't remember ever having one pass me. This EO forum just keeps making me a better and smarter driver. Thanks to everyone.

It was also nice to see a thread that wasn't hijacked or turned political for a change. I appreciate that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the plugs and ignition wires on my 2004, 6.0 changed every 100,000 miles. I have never asked about the condition of the plugs, but the wires are toast. I replaced the original ignition wires at 100,000 with Napa lifetime wires. Every 100,000 the wires get replaced for free. The replacement plugs are the OEM AC Delco.

With 627,000 miles on this van to date, the fuel mileage is 16.65 mpg.