giving drivers a bad name

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
We are sitting in a turnpike service plaza near where the cars park. This mini van whips in...out the side door jumps this little guy about 3-4 yrs old, down went the pants, just before the stream started flowing...and the smile on his face was priceless! He had to go! LOL

Reminds me of the story of the youngster about that age who was at a neighborhood pool party at which a sizeable portion of the neighborhood was present. This youngster had to go, and the bathroom was occupied. He had to go real bad, and he whispered the situation into his mother's ear, and she whispered back. He looked over at the pool, went over there, and standing on the pool deck, pulled his trunks down and let an arc fly into the pool. "That's not what I meant," she said, embarrassed.

Ok, this is unrelated to the topic at hand but my last story brought this to mind, and it's just too funny not to tell.

A mother was waiting in a lengthy teller line at the bank. Her daughter, perhaps all of 4 precocious years, was working off some excess energy by running around the lobby, annoying other patrons. Her mother admonished her repeatedly to calm down and quiet down, without effect. Finally, on one high-speed pass, the child came by close enough for her mother to grab.

"If you don't settle down RIGHT NOW, you're going to be in big trouble, young lady!"

The girl looked up at her mother without backing down an inch: "If you don't let me go RIGHT NOW, I'll tell Grandma I saw you kissing daddy's pee-pee last night!"

Everybody froze. I mean completely. Money counting stopped with bills in mid-air. Not one word was uttered for several seconds as the mother, face a deep crimson, contemplated her next move. Gathering her tattered dignity, she pulled her daughter out of the bank by the arm, the last sound she heard being the bank erupt in hilarity.

I'd like to think, if that was long enough ago, that mother & daughter look back on it and laugh.
--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
....or what about just happened now at my store!!!

T/T pulled up next to my building. My front door faces North....Have a glass front facade that wraps around building onto the West Side of the Building. About 80 feet down the West side of my building is my single Overhead door into my warehouse. Passenger side of truck facing my building - office window. I don't see driver get out of truck, just truck pulling up. Sitting here on phone and I hear a couple of loud knocks on the overhead door. Door is not Marked "Receiving", I only have a sign on door that Says "No Parking - Thank You - ******* Office Furniture". (sign put up because Body Shop next door kept parking their cars in front of my door) I am expecting NOTHING, especially anything that takes an 18 wheeler to deliver. So, I ignore knocks.

Uh huh. You ignored the knocks of a driver who clearly couldn't tell which door he needed. [Because so many lack any identification whatsoever] Is yours identified? If so, perhaps he just wanted to ask whether you know which door he was looking for.

Couple of minutes go by...I am off phone, and someone starts KICKING the Crap out of that door. I get up, storm through showroom, down hallway, into warehouse and pull that door up quickly. No One is there!!! Body Shop guys laughing and said Driver is NOW walking around building to the front. I shut door and start down Hallway, Driver coming down Hallway from showroom. I immediately lay into him "WTF you doing kickin my door - Does my GD Door say "Receiving?????", just totally ****ed...... Driver then tells me that he'll take my sheee-itttt back to where he got it from.....It didn't matter to him. I then say "WTF is it you have for me???" He says it's 4 pallets from some Ingrediant Company.....I say "Send the Sheee-itttt and don't ever step foot on my property again...and I'm calling the company to make sure NEVER deliver my orders, or anybody else's orders again. He goes out front door, gets in trucks and takes off.

Funny thing to this whole story is that the "Ingredient Guy"(George) is 4 Suites down. But, that driver Knocking and then KICKING my overhead door instead of gettin' off his Butt and walking 100-150 feet to make sure he was at the right location

Wait - how did he knock on YOUR door without getting off his butt?

just ticked me off so bad that it might be worth having George ticked at me in a couple of days when he's wondering why his order hasn't come in yet.

If you were a driver, [which you're clearly not], you might have the foggiest notion of what we have to deal with: load offers and BOLs that show only the billing address, 'new' company names [sometimes a year old] not changed on buildings, buildings that lack any visible address whatsoever, unmarked doors, doors marked 'shipping' that actually do receiving, etc, etc, etc.
Oh - and people who ignore us when we knock on the door of an obviously occupied building to ask for help locating the specified name/address. Because you really don't want to go exploring the unknown in a truck, ok?

OK, that was my Rant about drivers making other drivers look bad.

IMO, it's not the driver you made look bad with this rant - just sayin.....

Ya'll can get back to your "Pee" talk now. :)

Soon as I finish dashing off a note to your neighbor George.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Uh huh. You ignored the knocks of a driver who clearly couldn't tell which door he needed. [Because so many lack any identification whatsoever] Is yours identified? If so, perhaps he just wanted to ask whether you know which door he was looking for.

Yes...as stated above...Door is Identified as a "Furniture Company", not as "Quality Ingredients" as both Georges front door and his 6ft X 10ft sign above his overhead door clearly shows where he is located at are....just 4 suites down. We're not talking 7 miles down the road either here.....

Wait - how did he knock on YOUR door without getting off his butt?

"Getting off his butt" is a figure of speech.....if that is a little over your head, I fully understand, and forgive.

If you were a driver, [which you're clearly not], you might have the foggiest notion of what we have to deal with: load offers and BOLs that show only the billing address, 'new' company names [sometimes a year old] not changed on buildings, buildings that lack any visible address whatsoever, unmarked doors, doors marked 'shipping' that actually do receiving, etc, etc, etc

Trust me here Cheri....you probably have "Years", AND, a couple of/few "Hundred Thousand" miles to go to obtain the experience I have in the Trucking/Delivery Service Industry. AND again, my experience does NOT come from a company/companies telling me how, when, where, and why the Job must get done. Get what I'm gettin' at?

Oh - and people who ignore us when we knock on the door of an obviously occupied building to ask for help locating the specified name/address. Because you really don't want to go exploring the unknown in a truck, ok?

Again, as stated above, I was on the phone when the original Knocking Took place. Again, as stated above, I was not expecting anything, anything at all. Therefore, the phone conversation with the Customer I was hoping would come in and buy some furniture over-rode the knocking on the door. The 2 Overhead Doors of the body shop, which are right NEXT to my single overhead door, were open. There's six Guys in that shop working. Why could driver not walk the 7 feet to one of those open doors and ask where the Ingredient Company was??? He was holding his BOL in his hand when I confronted him in the hallway, so he knew the company name he was looking for. So why didn't he take 7 steps and ask someone in person that was probably less than 12-15 feet from him instead of standing there behind a closed door waiting?? Again, Door IS marked "Furniture" Store.

HHmmm.......with all this talk about "Racism" going on in other threads, maybe this guy was little Prejudice/Racist against Hispanics/Mexicans. That could be a reason....care to take that and run with it.......

"Exploring in a Truck"??? This is an Industrial building.....6 Business are located here....there aint Gang Members or Drug Dealers milling around. It was bright and sunny outside. Several overhead doors open all up in this complex. We share a parking lot with a similar building. Several businesses over there too. All driver had to do was take 20-25 steps back away from my door, look to the South, and 3-4 Suite - 6 Overhead Doors down he would've seen "QUALITY INGREDIENTS" on BIG BOLD Sign right above Georges door. It's not like he needed to get BACK into his truck and go "Exploring"....he was here in the right area.

But NO, he assumed he was at the right location, and when that Overhead Door was not answered after his original knock, he decided to kick the living sheet out of my door to get someone to open it instead of walking around the building to the front to ask someone to open it. If he would've done just that, he might have realized right off the bat that he was at the wrong location. Even after that, he walked through an Office Furniture Showroom trying to get a Door Open to a Location that clearly was not an "Ingredient Company".

IMO, it's not the driver you made look bad with this rant - just sayin.....

Of course you're allowed to have your opinion, but that's all you're expressing with this reply. Believe it or not.....your opinion doesn't really matter in ALL cases here as you believe it does. My Opinion....you're just having one of those days and are wanting to "Stir the Pot" so to speak.

I have stirred it up enough for you this morning?

Soon as I finish dashing off a note to your neighbor George.

Geroge knows about it....A couple of hours after I posted that yesterday he came down to ask what the hell happened. I told 'em....that driver tried to use SWAT Tactics by trying to kick in my door to get me to open it. And, I ran him off my property in a very rude and beligerant way for doing so. The Company he ordered this stuff from called him after this event. He didn't know what was going on. After I told him he laughed.......

About an hour after Georges visit, his Supplier called me and Apologized. Also said this "Independent Trucker" they had been using had kind of a Minor History with an attitude, not only with customers, but also with Dock Employees when he would show up for loads. But,they said his rates were decent so they put up with him. After Georges issue here, they were terminating his contract immediately.

So....Back to the issue at hand. (Before Cheri's 2 cents) Yes, some drivers do make other drivers look bad. I've had drivers walk through my door and "ASK" where this Company is, that Company is, and so on many times. I've always been helpful too.....but as in Law Enforcement. the person you're dealing with sets the tone as to how they are going to be treated, and/or respected. This "Driver" set the tone as to how this delivery was going to be made and LOST, plain and simple.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Darn...a fellow driver gets seriously injured and gets 19 replies...someone pees on a tire now 64 posts.....sick bunch of puppies we are.....LOL

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Darn...a fellow driver gets seriously injured and gets 19 replies...someone pees on a tire now 64 posts.....sick bunch of puppies we are.....LOL

It's not funny, it's sad. And it goes a long way in explaining why so many expediters work hard their whole careers and have little or nothing to show for it at the end. There is a lot of good professional information in the Open Forum but pee topics top them all.

You get more of what you think about, so think about what you think about.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It's not funny, it's sad. And it goes a long way in explaining why so many expediters work hard their whole careers and have little or nothing to show for it at the end. There is a lot of good professional information in the Open Forum but pee topics top them all.

You get more of what you think about, so think about what you think about.

You've just offended me, on somebody else's behalf, of course.

--

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think it's sick as much as a familiarity with the subject. Everybody pees and we're all familiar with that on a rather intimate level, but I have yet to hear the name of the driver nor the carrier for which she drives for. While the accident is sad and I do hope she isn't hurt too bad and that she makes a full, speedy recovery, it's hard to get worked up over someone you don't know, and even harder to get worked up over some mystery driver that is literally unknowable because no one wants to post who it is. People are unlikely to produce an outpouring of sympathy for someone of whom they have no familiarity. On the other hand, pee is a natural for an outpouring for a number of emotions.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think it's sick as much as a familiarity with the subject. Everybody pees and we're all familiar with that on a rather intimate level, but I have yet to hear the name of the driver nor the carrier for which she drives for. While the accident is sad and I do hope she isn't hurt too bad and that she makes a full, speedy recovery, it's hard to get worked up over someone you don't know, and even harder to get worked up over some mystery driver that is literally unknowable because no one wants to post who it is. People are unlikely to produce an outpouring of sympathy for someone of whom they have no familiarity. On the other hand, pee is a natural for an outpouring for a number of emotions.

so what you are saying is..we have more of an emotional attachment to our pee then another human?

gospelriders

Seasoned Expediter

i can't help myself, did you just use "outpouring" on purpose:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
so what you are saying is..we have more of an emotional attachment to our pee then another human?
Than another nameless human that we don't even know, yes.

Someone we don't know and have never had any contact with was injured. Well, hope they weren't injured too bad ("You have my sympathies"), and hope they heal quickly ("Get well soon!"). It's very generic, I know, but that's about all you can say about a generic driver with whom you have no emotional familiarity. By necessity, everything that gets said is said in generic terms.

Same happens when people die. If you know them, or at least have the emotional familiatiry you have with a famous person, you are naturally more affected than when someone you don't know dies. There's something to talk about, something to greive about. Not so much with an unknown.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There are typhoons in Bangladesh that sometimes sweep hundreds of thousands of people out to sea to their deaths in short order. Freakin' hundreds of thousands in one storm. While on one hand, it's easy to be awed by the tragedy, it doesn't last very long. You didn't know them, you were never going to know them, they're on the other side of the globe, etc. There's just no way to attach our emotions to it for very long. If you invested much emotion in the well-being of people you don't and can't know, you'd be certifiably insane in short order, even when the anonymous person is in your own country, doing the same job as you.

I'm sure you can go through the obits in some city far away and find lots of tragedy. "Oh, look, honey, this guy was a dentist in Scranton. I wonder if our dentist is going to be broken up about this. Maybe he knew him..."

--