Give me some numbers!!!!please!

NightRanger

Seasoned Expediter
All I ever read on here when people ask if business is getting better is "could be better" or "could be worse" or "things are slower than this time last year" HOW ABOUT SOME ACTUAL NUMBERS!!! How about avg. miles per week? Avg. rate per mile? What I am asking is for the veterans out there to let us "newbies" know whether or not to even try to get into this business. 'cause if you base your decision on the stuff you read on here you have to ask yourself why even bother. Man its depressing!!! Is it really that bad?:eek:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Not many will post their numbers for the world to see.

Like asking a total stranger let me see your pay check I want to know how much you make.

Talk to the different carriers and they can give you averages. Find out if you can see a few random settlement sheets with names and pertinent info blacked out.

Each company has a different way of paying either per mile or percentage. Each company has a different average per week of miles. It is a lot to wade through but ask the questions of the right people. After you get those numbers then start asking every expediter you see in person how they are doing and if they would mind sharing numbers with you. If you have the information from the company and then ask a driver for that company you can pretty much figure out if they are giving you real world numbers are an I wish number.

Last edited:

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
well i dont have a problem with giving you Real numbers

AVG per day feb & march 575 miles per day
this is 7 days a week AVG.
sorry as a team (co-driver had to go)

:cool:i am now running SOLO (he just left) and looking for a C0-driver:)

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Over 4000 miles a week as a solo sounds high based on what other posts I read.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I am asking is for the veterans out there to let us "newbies" know whether or not to even try to get into this business. 'cause if you base your decision on the stuff you read on here you have to ask yourself why even bother.

That's the important question. Why the concern with "actual numbers"? As you've seen from a couple of replies here, numbers can be all over the place. A lot of experienced expediters, myself included, are advising newbs to wait. I think that's the wise thing to do.

Edit: I just saw another thread where you seem very excited to read something positive. There are some doing O.K. right now. Most aren't. It's a tough time for a newb to come in and be successful. I can't stress that enough.

Last edited:

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Averages, averages! How do you average out 140 hours a week (team) for a couple of months with 20-25 hours avg so far in April.

We could sit next to an identical truck and compare numbers and our numbers would be way different. There are a lot of variables, and many of those variables end up as the luck of the draw when it comes to handing out load offers.

Some of it is under your control. Where you sit, what equipment you have, and whether you take a low paying load just to move to a better area.

Other variables you have no control over. Your carriers customers and the economic health of those customers, load price based upon the customer negotiating price with carrier, and how far you're running it.

You never know until the offer comes across.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with Star on his assessment. It comes down to, do you want roses or reality? If you are trying to enter and you are inexperienced, I would advise waiting as well.
If you are to jump in, I would make sure your fleet owner or potential co-driver is not only experienced, but is experienced with the carrier you would sign on with.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with most. It all depends on what you are willing to do and willing to move to. When we deliver some where, we have to decide if this is a good area to stay and wait or move. It all depends on also, if you or your owner is willing to pay for fuel to move to a better area where your carrier gets loads more often than where you are at. But, to know what decision to make, you have to have a little bit experience under your belt.

When we first started, we were clueless. We didn't do very good on miles, because we didn't know what to do and the first owner we were contracted with didn't have a clue either. Now we are with a owner that is business minded and between us and him, we are able to make sensible decisions on what to do and for the most part, we are doing pretty good now. We're not making a killing every week, but doing better then we did at the start.

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
All I ever read on here when people ask if business is getting better is "could be better" or "could be worse" or "things are slower than this time last year" HOW ABOUT SOME ACTUAL NUMBERS!!! How about avg. miles per week? Avg. rate per mile? What I am asking is for the veterans out there to let us "newbies" know whether or not to even try to get into this business. 'cause if you base your decision on the stuff you read on here you have to ask yourself why even bother. Man its depressing!!! Is it really that bad?:eek:
Hello!
With the inconsistancy in the trucking industry, it's nearly impossible to give you numbers. There are so many variables, the most being this economic climate right now. Use this time to continue your research. This is probably one of the slowest times in recent memory. If you have a job that pays your bills and alittle more, you are probably doing ok. Things will certainly improve but in my opinion, it's very risky financially. If you decide that expediting is for you, start by downsizing at home, research this subject so when it does get better, you will be ready. Alot of the underlying stress is pressure to pay bills at home, so start there. Downsize so when you do get into expediting, you won't have the pressure of coming up with all your bill money. Most people in expediting really enjoy it but in economic times like now, it can be very stressful. Trucking will pick up eventually and if you have done your homework, you will be ready for the expediting lifestyle!
Good luck! Mark & Linda

Reactions: 1 person

Strling09

Seasoned Expediter

The real truth is that even back 12 years ago when we were with Roberts Express now FedEx CC you would get or give the same old song and dance, how bad business is. Nobody wants the compitition, for every new truck thats one less load for you. Dont let the crying change your mind on something you want to do. Nobody will tell you the truth about there numbers unless they want to brag about some big bucks they made on a load. I have made a good living at this and paid off my trucks and my house and my Motorcycle so what else is there. If you want to do it and are willing to work at it for 3to 5 weeks at a time you will do alright. Do not listen to anyone, because they will still not give you the truth. An old driver once told me to not get mad about something someone said because the only person thats upset is you, and they dont care oneway or the other. JUST GET IN THERE AND DO YOUR LOADS.:)

miker

Seasoned Expediter
That's the important question. Why the concern with "actual numbers"? As you've seen from a couple of replies here, numbers can be all over the place. A lot of experienced expediters, myself included, are advising newbs to wait. I think that's the wise thing to do.

Edit: I just saw another thread where you seem very excited to read something positive. There are some doing O.K. right now. Most aren't. It's a tough time for a newb to come in and be successful. I can't stress that enough.

Can't stress this enough the above is GREAT ADVICE, I believe that it will get better but it will be very tough for someone to start and learn this and be profitable all at the same time. Not saying give it up forget about it or anything like that, just to be extremely patient,because even the best ones out here have to have patience right now or it will cost you BIG. Learn as much as you can before making any type of investment. It will get better but in time just not quickly.

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
The real truth is that even back 12 years ago when we were with Roberts Express now FedEx CC you would get or give the same old song and dance, how bad business is. Nobody wants the compitition, for every new truck thats one less load for you. Dont let the crying change your mind on something you want to do. Nobody will tell you the truth about there numbers unless they want to brag about some big bucks they made on a load. I have made a good living at this and paid off my trucks and my house and my Motorcycle so what else is there. If you want to do it and are willing to work at it for 3to 5 weeks at a time you will do alright. Do not listen to anyone, because they will still not give you the truth. An old driver once told me to not get mad about something someone said because the only person thats upset is you, and they dont care oneway or the other. JUST GET IN THERE AND DO YOUR LOADS.:)
We are thinking of going in to this to........Love your truthful answer........Thanks

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
Couldn't have said it better....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We are thinking of going in to this to........Love your truthful answer........Thanks
His truthful answer is exceedingly irresponsible advice when he says it's the same ol' song and dance with business being bad. It's bad, and that's not a sing and dance. Cursory research with brokers and carriers and even the financial section of the newspaper should make it clear that business is bad. What used to be 6 or 8 loads per expedited vehicle capacity is now about a 1-to-1 ratio. People, even those working hard at it for 3-5 weeks at a time, are losing their trucks and going bankrupt. Fleet sizes have been dramatically reduced at most carriers and there is still far more capacity than demand. Load counts are down as is the average length of haul due to a lot of freight that used to go expedited is now being sent LTL for the bulk of the miles and then expedited for the last leg of the trip. Shippers are consolidating more and more loads, as the average weight per shipment has gone up dramatically, as well.

He's right in that truckers will lie and brag and inflate the numbers, but by and large that doesn't happen here on EO. More often than not, stone-cold reality advice is disseminated here. You can do well in expediting, but make sure you do your research, have all of your questions answered before you get into it, and go into it with eyes wide open.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
It's a big conspiracy don't ya know? All of the old timers on here will lie to you and they are just rolling in the dough. In fact they are so busy they have very little time to spend here on the internet. This site is about to be shut down cause nobody has time for it anymore. PLEASE get into expiditing cause we are so in need of drivers. All the stories on the news of people who have lost their jobs aren't getting into driving. Those are all lies too. So hurry and call your nearest recruter and you too can be sitting with us in any number of truck stops and walmarts around the country.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

MissBuddy.. no personal offence, but I find it interesting that you picked Stirling09's answer to be the 'truthful' one, altho different points of view were offered.

Be very careful of keeping your blinders on to the negatives you will hear. Once you're in it, it might be too late to say, gee I missed those comments, too bad I didn't listen.

Although XTeam is relatively new in this business, they seem to have already picked up on something very real. Read between the lines. What does it mean when people are saying 'pay off your debts', and 'have a very healthy reserve', and 'if you are in a job right now, stick with it', 'downsize at home', 'reduce your appetite for your previous lifestyle', etc etc etc?

Think about it. If you have a 9-5 job at Walmart as a greeter, the minimum wage that you bring home each week, is your money to pay whatever you wish to pay with it. If you can afford your home and whatever else on that, great. If you are an expediter, you have not only got your home bills and whatever else you wish to pay for with your earnings, but you also have your expediting related bills.

If a pile of expediters are saying, over and over, 'pay down your debts, get rid of your other bills, etc', that is basically saying, when you are finished paying your expediting bills, there may not be enough left over to deal with all that other stuff you have or want, like living in a home, having a car, utilites, clothing, whatever you are accustomed to spending your earnings on. It's basically saying that many might be fortunate to be doing a little better than breaking even right now on their expenses and costs of basic everyday necessities. I'm sure there are some who are still netting decent earnings, just saying to listen to all the feedback, not just the ones you want to hear. Decide what you want/need to pay for in your personal life, and decide whether you're willing to give any of that up for now. Decide, even if you do have a healthy reserve, if you're willing to spend it on expediting as a new career. Chances are that if you need to spend it, you're notgoing to get that reimbursed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

2008 was around $16,000 less that 2007. Note: in 2006 I would make that amount in less than 2 months...2009 is not looking any better than 2008.

Now, in 2005 I started in this bidness, not knowing what I was really getting into. Talk then about how bad it was is as it is now.

I remember sitting in a truck stop, wondering what have I done?!! From time to time I still think that!

All in all I am happy I made the jump.

Don't be a slave to truck payments. Meaning, your payments are so large you are forced to stay out months at a time.

Have a nest egg for a rainy day, (it's raining now)

Think about driving for a fleet owner before buying a truck, or van. This will allow you to get your feet wet,(due to the rain).

Ask questions, I always tell newbes "I'll tell ya everything you want to know, but I will not tell you everything I know.....( I learned that the hard way, by letting a VANMAN in on some nice tricks )....

Do some homework. Have a plan. Have a nest egg. Know your cost. Pray about it.