Giant "Fatberg" OR....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
.... the clog that attacked London!

There is little more to say about other than "YEWWWWWWWWWWWWW" OH! YUCK!!!

This "fatberg" kinda reminds one of what one's arteries would look like after 40 years of eating fish and chip! :p Instead of washing it away, why did the not uses it as a fuel source? :rolleyes: This was SOOOOO bad that even malt vinegar could not break it up! :eek:

[h=1]Bus-Sized 'Fatberg' Threatened London Streets

Repairs have started after Britain's biggest ever "fatberg" - the size of a double-decker bus - was removed from a London sewer.
[/h]
The 15-tonne mass of festering food fat mixed with wet wipes and sanitary products threatened to send raw sewage spurting onto the leafy streets of Kingston upon Thames.

"We've never seen a single, congealed lump of lard this big clogging our sewers before," said Thames Water waste contracts supervisor Gordon Hailwood.

"The sewer was almost completely clogged with over 15 tonnes of fat. If we hadn’t discovered it in time, raw sewage could have started spurting out of manholes across the whole of Kingston.

"It was so big it damaged the sewer and repairs will take up to six weeks."

The foul blockage was discovered when residents of nearby flats complained they could not flush their toilets.

Investigators found the 70x48cm sewer had been reduced to just 5% of its normal capacity.

Mr Hailwood added: "Given we've got the biggest sewers and this is the biggest fatberg we've encountered, we reckon it has to be the biggest such berg in British history."

Workers used a high-pressure jet hose to blast away the massive blockage - but the size of the fatberg meant it took them 10 nights of graft.

"Attached to the front of the hose is a stainless steel 'bomb'," explained Graeme Sanderson from CountyClean Environmental Services.

"This works by injecting fresh water backwards at very high pressure.

"This drives the head forwards through any blockages and up the brick sewer cleaning the brickwork and washing blockages backwards."

Repairs on 20 metres of damaged pipe affected by the fatberg started on Monday and are expected to take six weeks.

Water bosses want the public to change their ways to help avoid another gigantic fat blob forming under London's streets.

For fat, sanitary items and wet wipes - which do not break down like toilet paper - the message is "bin it - don’t block it".

Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm game!!! You pouring?

LOL!! Wish I could get it over here, fresh, not that "old" stuff they sell up in Canada. There used to be a Younger's Pub around the corner from my house in Harrogate.

I once went to the "Bass" brewery when I lived over there. The "brewmaster" gave several of us a "private tour" of the place in return for a day of skeet shooting on the base.

After the tour we ended up in the employee lounge. There was only ONE rule there. The "tour guide" poured the first pint, after that you had to "pull" your own. We were there for several hours.

They served a bitter there, known as "Brew 10". It was like nectar of the gods. The brewmaster said that for some, unknown reason, that beer never sold well. I have NO idea why, it was WONDERFUL! Thick, smooth, easy to drink.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Watch it!!!!! I have a passport!!!
That sounded like a travel-challenge.
LOL!!

So do I!

Bass was sold a long time ago, I doubt if we could find Brew 10. Would have to for a Tartan and a "Plowman's Lunch". Nice mix of meats, cheeses and breads.

I used to hunt (shoot) pigeons, with a "club" over there. After a "shoot" we would all head for the pub, a couple of pints, a "Plowman's' or a "meat pie" and dominoes in front of an open coal fire.

Fished the River Tweed up in Scotland. Stayed at a place called the "Crook Inn". Venison dinners, followed by a single malt in front of a HUGH fire place. Very famous place. Robert Burns had written a few works in front of that fire place.

Save the Crook Inn, Tweedsmuir | Community Purchase of Scotland's Oldest Inn | Home

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Did I mention I bought two Powerball tickets yesterday?!?! I'd need to hit that $400M to do the traveling I'd like to do.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Sounds good!!! We could go OOS and find a pub!! If I wasn't getting to Wayne (MI) so late tonight I would be going over to Green Dot Stables. I'm on an IPA kick this summer and they have 7-8 pretty good ones.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds good!!! We could go OOS and find a pub!! If I wasn't getting to Wayne (MI) so late tonight I would be going over to Green Dot Stables. I'm on an IPA kick this summer and they have 7-8 pretty good ones.

Better yet, OOS in my back yard, LARGE bonfire and LARGE chunks of red meat. A TRUE HUNKER!