Getting perscription on the road

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I have a driver that says they need to be home monthly to get there scripts,with wal mart,walgrns,cvs,nationwide i feel there has to be some options.

kgeise

Seasoned Expediter
Kevin Geise
West Central Ohio

It is my understanding that the Wal-Marts, CVS, Walgreens and so on have you in their computer system, and it doesn't matter where you are at, they will have your info. They should be able to get prescriptions filled anywhere as long as they are carrying their I.D's.:)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I do, and you can also, take your bottle of pills to just about any pharmacy in the country and have it refilled, if refill option is available. I use Wal-mart for my scripts because my insurance info is on their computers and transferring the prescrition from one store to another is a snap. Example: I gave my last prescription to my home store, refilled it in a wal-mart columbus last month and refilled it again last week back at home. I could go to any other pharmacy on the raod and get the same service; so can anyone else.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do the same as Terry does, only with Walgreens. They're all over the place and some states are even putting them on exit signs. Just hand them your bottles and your out in minutes. If you take Crestor and you get to the Mexican border, it's worth the walk across. About a third of the price.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
this is all good info,I get my scripts filled at home,cause I get big discount with my golden buckeye card,but I have had to fill them on the road,sometimes you just dont get home when you need to
As long as your not out of refills,any pharmacy will refill your script

Teflon

Seasoned Expediter
Some prescriptions expire and are not refillable without doctors approval.
All the doctor needs is a phone number of the pharmacy to call in prescriptions. My doctor has called my prescriptions in to walmart and I have had no problems.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have had Walmarts all over the country do refills. They allways have to call the last location,but even so it is ready in about 30 min.

If you are US citizen Walmart will not refill in CAN.

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
As mentioned above pretty much all the major pharmacy chains will honor your presriptions at any of their locations as long as you're in their computer system. Another option is to get the Dr. to write the prescription for a 90 day supply, just be sure and check with your insurance carrier first to make sure they okay it. Tom.

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
If you take Crestor and you get to the Mexican
>border, it's worth the walk across. About a third of the
>price.
Bringing back prescription drugs into Texas from Mexico can be risky. I had a charter with a bunch of college kids to Laredo a couple years ago. Some of them bought some prescription drugs(I believe it was Valium) in Mexico, supposedly you'd go to this drugstore and tell them what you wanted and a Mexican Doctor would write you the prescription and they'd fill it right all for one lump sum. They brought it back through customs at the bridge with no problems, stopped at the check station north of Laredo and they ran a dog through the bus, he immediately hit on the girls luggage who had bought the drugs. The Border Patrol agent said it wasn't a federal offense to to bring prescription drugs across as long as you had a legal prescription, which I guess meant the Mexican prescription. HOWEVER, he'd told them that the State of Texas did not recognize Mexican prescriptions as legal, and they could charged with a felony charge of possesion of a controlled substance. He said if they were stopped by any Texas law enforcement official they be arrested. They asked why they weren't told at the border, he said they were working on a policy on informing people, but the Feds and the TX officials hadn't gotten together on it. I guess if you have a legal U.S. prescription for whatever you have on you, you're okay from what he said. Keep in mind this was several years back(before 9-11), so I don't know what the rules are now or if they have changed. Also I don't know what the state laws are in the other border states, just goin' by what I was told in TX. Tom.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If he is getting his perscriptions through the VA he probably has to return to the local clinic. However VA issues 90 day supplies. But anyway what's wrong with a guy wanting to come home once a month.

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
Keep in mind not all scripts are "common". My mom has one that she can't get filled just any where. It's a special order and a lot of places don't carry it, including the local Wallie World. The little pharmacy that she can get it from has to special order it. They know her by now, so she calls them to let them know she's about out and they get it in for her in a few days. BTW, it is simply a hormone, but she has to use this particular one due to drug interactions with other scripts.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would find out whether the prescription can be mail ordered, on a 90 day basis. It's often easier and less expensive to mail order medications, assuming they are not unusual ones.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
My prescriptions are for blood pressure. My doctor wants to see me before he'll renew them. I imagine other ailments could be similar.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My team had to deadhead from Laredo to San Antonio to get b.p. medicine refilled at CVS as that was the closest one. I suggested they look into Walmart and they did transfer it. For common meds they are probably the most widely available location. As others have said, mail ordering gets you a 90 day supply vs. 30 days from the pharmacy and it usually only costs about the same as 2 30 day refills. After a certain number of refills they're going to have to go home to visit the doctor again for a checkup but that shouldn't be monthly unless it's something pretty unusual. I suggest Walmart to anyone who needs pharmacy available nation wide.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
As a few have alluded to...it just depends upon the medication.
Almost all pain clinics or Dr.s prescribing "controlled substances" ie...Lortab, vicodin, etc...need to have a written prescription which is the product of an in-office visit, unless it causes a hardship to the patient and the DR is willing OR able to accommodate that patient. Then there is the fact that some states do not allow the transfer of controlled substances.
That also goes for blood pressure meds, nerve medications, and psychotropic meds....which on that last one...I hope someone driving doesn't run out of those, IF they are allowed to drive ON them, which I don't know...we have enough crazy 4 wheelers swarming around to have to deal with crazy 6 or 18 wheeled ones!

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the excellent info,the meds come from the state so you have to jump when they say jump.They are considering getting the meds themselves which will cost them about 500$ per month,then they would have alot more freedom to run with the wal marts and such.They realize the lost revenue and cost to dh,i realize there a good team and work with them.

snowbird74365

Expert Expediter
a little fyi on the prescriptions. if you refil them in wisconsin then you can't get them transfered. but all other states are good unless they are considered a controlled substance you can have them transfered one time. most refills can be refilled anywhere. been through this myself with some of my husbands scripts:7

nighttrain

Seasoned Expediter
well i know that with certain drugs you can have them refilled out of state but if you have more than one refill and u refill it out of state then when you come back home the refills arent good at your store

was in omaha neb had to get my pain pills refilled had 2 more refills
tried to get it refilled at target again was told they couldnt refill it cause i had it refilled in another state and per the drug laws they couldnt call the target store in neb to transfer again

i guess with certain types of pills you cant have it transferred more than once out of state

so had to call doc and get a new script called in

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got to ask, Why in the h*ll would anyone be perscribe a narcotic pain med and allowed to drive a truck?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>i guess with certain types of pills you cant have it transferred more
< than once out of state

Walmart has no problem with this. I have had refills in IN,ND,GA.VA.
They have never indicated that certian types of drugs are excluded.