Getting My Expediting Career Started . . .

scottsman58

Expert Expediter
I'm seriously considering a career move into expediting, however, I am new to this industry. I currently have a chauffer's license, but will need to obtain a CDL. I realize I have a lot to learn, and many decisions to make. I realize the trials and errors I will have to go through to figure out what works best for all involved including myself.

I would very much appreciate advise on preliminary tasks I will need to research and complete to get started on the right foot in this industry.

One question; are there trucking companies willing to pay for CDL training, and then hire you on as a beginning driver? If so, can you tell me the names of these companies?

:) I am very passionate and excited about this career move, so any advise you can give me to get started is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you very much for your help so I can get started into Expediting!

scottsman58

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I don't know of any expedite carrier that would.I think if you went to roadway or c.r england they will,however if you choose to leave then you have to pay for your trainning.I had a guy that ran for a carrier that paid for his trainning,he ran for them a couple months,quit and they sent him a bill for 5,000 dollars.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a neighbor and her brother signed on with PAM (Penny a mile? Transport.He received all of his training for his class A CDL through them
Then he said it was like indentured sevitude for 18 months.If he quit he had to repay lots of bucks. They gave him all the trash runs that other drivers would not take.When he left said it was one of the happiest days of his life.
You may be able to find a fleet owner who will work with you,look through the classified job oportunities on this site.

G

You may want to check with the State your in,they may have funding for the CDL course.I live in Georgia and we have the Hope scholarship funded by the lottery and I just graduated from the CDL program at a local tech school.The State paid $3K and that includes all materials. Hope this helps:)

stack

Seasoned Expediter
I am currently working for a company for 50k a year and am considering driving teams with my wife in the expedited trking business. Would this be a mistake leaving what I have to get into the expense of rig, fuel, insurance ect..... It's all about making a better living and not sure what way to go. If anyone has answers please advise.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'll trade you.

I would stay right where you are at. You may not make a better living, the future isn't so sure as many make it out as and jobs may be hard to find if you have problems with being on the road.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you will Google CDL you will find a ton of Companies who will pay your schooling for a year in their employ. My neighbors grandson went with a outfit out of Nebraska ( I don't remember there name) he trained in Springfield, MO. Did his year then went to a flatbed outfit out of Texas. Arkansas has I believe CDL courses through their Community colleges.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well it appears that you are doing a bit of research, since you dug up a 7 year old post!!! So I would think that if you continue you will find the answer in here too..

But on the off chance you missed it, lets ask a few questions...does your wife work too? How much does she bring to the household?? Do you have medical insurance provided by your or her employer?? Do you know how much you need to bring into the household monthly to pay those bills PLUS the expense of running a truck fulltime?? Do you have a business plan (you will be self employed, not an employee)?? What are your expectations for this busines beyond an income?? And you do realize that this industry while running trucks, is NOT the trucking business that one thinks of from mainstream way of thinking...we are a "nitch" part of the trucking industry and those from there normally don't do well in our industry....

Keep researching, you will come up with more questions and answers that way....people take "years" in doing research before jumping into the pond, I'd suggest you do the same thing...then if you have your income, and benefits and your wife as an income....stay where you are....

Oh, one more thing, have you been payong attention to the new "Regulations" that are coming to trucking in general??? You might want to..they could real easily be a major problem for "newbies' as they learn the world of HOS and Logging....

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Stay where you're at, Period.

Too many people out looking for a job like yours right now and if this trucking "Dream" you have doesn't work out, you'll go to the end of the line of people still trying to find employment.

Plus, look up at the top right hand corner of this page. See that diesel price hitting $3.51 gallon with the green arrow pointing up?? Big indicator that trucking in general is about to get hit again like it was hit in 2007. (the year I came off the road)

Fuel costs are on the rise, operating costs will go up, rates will go up, customers will either raise the price of their goods to cover higher shipping costs or cut back on manufacturing because goods are not being sold due to higher shipping costs, trucks will sit idle, drivers will quit due to no work, trucks will be getting repo'd again, so on, so on, so on................

In 2007, the $3.50 a gallon price was the tipping point. When it started hitting $3.75-$4.00-$4.50-PLUS, trucking in general went to hell. Some may say, "Awww, don't worry about it", but I would seriously take that into consideration in making your decision.

stack

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for such quick responses and some good imputs. I've been driving in the city for over 18 years now, and my wife isn't working at present. I was hoping for a change and to get my wife back out with me. She has a CDL (but hasn't been out on the road in some years due mainly to our youngest child), and now we are getting ready to maybe get back out there. I was hoping for some better news but now I'm hestitant. I will consider all that was told to me and research further. Lets hope economy gets better and we can all rest alittle easier at night.