Getting into straight-truck

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I second that, get a cdl b then drive for an owner. A 26,000lb truck (non cdl truck) won't have the payload capacity to compete with a 33,000lb truck. Also, a big truck is a learning curve. Drive for an owner that can help you learn the ins and outs of both the truck and the business.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
You canr rent a truck from Penske and get your CDL B, Dont drive it there have someone with a License or see if they can deliver...I drove for a couple owners and its not bad, both were nice guys, then maybe you can buy a truck, used etc if you like it, its better money....but the older trucks with the small sleepers are a pain...

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I drive a straight truck that is under 26k so I don't have a cdl, it's possible but much harder than if you do have a class B. My truck has a 24ft box with a liftgate and I can carry 10,000 pounds legally, which is fine for a good percentage of loads, will you lose loads because of the weight, yes but not enough in my opinion to warrant the extra hassle of needing a cdl, apportioned plates and ifta.

One thing about an under cdl truck, you will have to deal with a small sleeper mine only has a 24 inch sleeper. Moving up to a 33,600 gvw truck will get you a much bigger one.

Sent from my LG-D500 using EO Forums mobile app

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I finally weighed my 24' straight truck it's under 26K & it's 17K even & that's w/o a sleeper,it does have a liftgate.So I suppose that's why they make the 33K trucks so you can haul more.If you go to a 33K truck you'll need a class A then you might as well get a class 8 w/a box.You get a nice riding long lasting truck.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
You only need a class B in a straight truck. Also, it doesn't matter how much the truck weighs, it matters how much it's rated to carry (GVWR).

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you take the advice offered, please bear in mind what you are getting [an education], and consider what you are offering [willingness, but no actual knowledge], before you begin planning for the "big sleeper". To paraphrase JFK: ask not what a fleet owner can do for you, etc.
It just seems the tone of replies is all about what the newbie should expect to get, without mentioning what one should be prepared to give.​ With someone who knows absolutely nothing about expediting, I think that's important to mention.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
If you take the advice offered, please bear in mind what you are getting [an education], and consider what you are offering [willingness, but no actual knowledge], before you begin planning for the "big sleeper". To paraphrase JFK: ask not what a fleet owner can do for you, etc.
It just seems the tone of replies is all about what the newbie should expect to get, without mentioning what one should be prepared to give.​ With someone who knows absolutely nothing about expediting, I think that's important to mention.

Good point.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would also look for a good accountant to as there alot of things that come up at tax time
also i would at least get a b cdl and hazmat to

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i would also look for a good accountant to as there alot of things that come up at tax time
also i would at least get a b cdl and hazmat to

I have a class b cdl and hazmat and I'll I drive is a sprinter ;) Prolly some class a guys out there driving sprinters also.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a class b cdl and hazmat and I'll I drive is a sprinter ;) Prolly some class a guys out there driving sprinters also.

I have my class A with hazmat, but I've had this CDL before I got my Sprinter, That said, companies like Landstar require a Class B w hazmat, even in a Sprinter.

Some companies like Landstar require 6 months experience before they will lease you on, that is unless you came from a big truck....

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I might be looking for a straight truck to drive in the near future, I'll even have to leave Landstar to make the change, since they won't let me upgrade to a larger truck because of the 6 month rule...