Generators

Marmino

Expert Expediter
Confused. Need help on selecting a generator. Proheat or Rigmaster or something else out there I'm not aware of that's worthy of it's price. Looking for heat and air.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I think I would go with the manufacturer that is strong in your area. Many truck dealers handle both of those units and may offer another unit. If you have a service problem with your genset you would be smart to have a local shop to do the repairs while you are home. Gensets do require regular service. The key to long life is to keep the filters changed and change oil on a regular basis. Most units have a hour meter to keep track of needed service. Good luck.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
as what glen said service is most important and if there is a shop close by that sales them check them out and ask to talk to a couple of customer about the genset they should have a list of people who would talk to you about the genset

myself i like the proheat and bill moore at tsi installed the unit
and does great work he's on the web site here and phone 800 388 3850
also go to a company web site and see if there is a place close to you
and if you are from pa state tax people they have a rebate program that i would check out if i lived in pa and if you have pa lic plates on the truck

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
It came to my attention today that theremay be federal money available to Owner Operators to purchase GenSets. Try calling Star Class Sleepers in New Castle PA at 1-800-422-2865, hope they can help you.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I selected Rigmaster over Proheat because Rigmaster was a stand-alone system, while Proheat needed to cut into the truck's heating and cooling system. I recently visited my local Rigmaster dealer in Detroit for some service, and they showed me the new units which have increased power output and an improved control panel. Mike

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Before you decide on a unit, you should know what your power requirements are going to be. We have a truck out there now that has a large sleeper and the ones listed above are severely under powered for our application. None of those have a value either if you have a roof air unit. I have heard good things about the above but for smaller applications.
Davekc
owner
20 years
On a side note; if you have a sleeper that is larger than a 96" the smaller units will not be able to heat and cool in any climate extremes.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a ProHeat in a 96" Bentz sleeper. It has about 550 hours on it now. It hasn't had to deal with summer heat yet so I can't comment on that. In temps down to about zero it has kept it plenty warm inside. One comment was made about not liking that it uses the main coolant however the other side of that coin is when you get ready to start the engine the coolant is already warmed up a little bit so you are circulating 100-120 degrees through the engine instead of 30 degrees or so. Good luck with whatever you do.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
LDB
Keep us updated on how that works in high heat. Looking at buying them for 96" sleepers.
Thanks
Davekc
owner
20 years

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Confused. Need help on selecting a generator. Proheat or
>Rigmaster or something else out there I'm not aware of
>that's worthy of it's price. Looking for heat and air.

What kind of truck? How much space will you be heating/cooling?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After spending most of the summer suffering in the heat I finally can say the proheat has some cooling capability. The entire under bunk unit was replaced a couple of weeks ago. It is doing a far better job now than it was previously.

It will not handle a 96" sleeper during midday heat in south Texas without first having the truck cooled down by the main a/c systems and also having the windshield and divider curtains drawn shut. If the truck has been driven a couple of hours or more and is fully cooled down and if the proheat is turned on to max a/c prior to shutting off the main truck a/c and if the windshield curtains are drawn prior to shutting off the main a/c and if the divider curtains are closed immediately upon shutting off the main a/c then the proheat may hold it to a comfortable temperature in the sleeper.

Mine is managing to do so based on those requirements so far however there were too many problems and too great a loss of faith and confidence for me to feel truly good about proheat yet. They are working on new circuit boards and other upgrades/fixes that should help it more. I hope before next summer they are available and in place. I feel much better about it for the winter based on excellent performance last winter. If only the a/c worked as well as the heating.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
i have a rigmster on my d-unit..worked great first year(while under warranty), now second year keeps overheating when i try to use a/c. works fine just generating elec.but overheat when cooling. have had to shop three times they have tryed alot..it will cool excellent for 1-32 hours depending on outside heat, but then overheats and shuts down...even the factory cant figure out what is wrong...tryin to find someone who can...costing me alot without it...maybe its too small for a 96" sleeper...frank

comfort king

Expert Expediter
Have no fear FJK1954. You have made contact with Ray and Matt of Espar of Michigan. We will have your Rigmaster running "cool as a cucumber" when you leave our facility conveniently located near the Detroit Metro Airport - I94/exit 198.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This will be interesting as we just bought a unit that has one of these with 554 hours on it. Works great so far. 100 degrees in western TN and it is working well.
We will keep our fingers crossed.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>This will be interesting as we just bought a unit that has
>one of these with 554 hours on it. Works great so far. 100
>degrees in western TN and it is working well.
>We will keep our fingers crossed.
>
>Davekc

What size sleeper is it cooling? Were the divider curtains drawn or was it cooling the cab area also? According to their website the inside unit is about 9x9x14 inches so it would fit the small storage compartment on the KW with the sofa. I'm seriously considering it for the new truck and looking for first hand information. Thanks and good luck with it.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is cooling a 84" condo. No curtains closed ect, although the side driver and passenger windows are tinted. It kept cool with the fan on medium. It is different than the other rigmasters that we had. This one has a small computer box with auto start. (haven't figured that out yet). It has two fans on the motor which I think help overheating problems. This also has a orange engine which our other ones weren't. It has a different A/C unit under the bunk as well.
The official temp at the house today was 101. I was impressed that it did keep up. Durability will be interesting.
Only major objection so far is air filters. Hard to find, but I have a new donaldson cross number so maybe NAPA?

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It sounds like it should do fine in an 86" studio sleeper as well. It is getting a stronger first place on my suspect list.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The Pro-Heat in my truck is now working better than I had ever planned on. Air will freeze me out 42F curitans open it even keeps the cab semi warm but the sleeper I need a jacket.

Winter months this is a gem it will work on even the biggest of sleepers but cannot comment on a giant one for cooling.

In looking at the trade show Idle Busters has a very nice Design and is putting together a very nice Dealer Net Work.

Should I continue to have problems with my current unit I will not hesitate to yank it off and install this Idle Busters Unit. With Fuel where it is I cannot see how I can afford to Idle. Hotels would be just about the same price for a night of idleing.

Idle Busters were represented at the EO trade show they should have a Web Site the nice thing about the product is you can have under the bed, or a roof top. $6,500 plus install.

comfort king

Expert Expediter
No problem with the air filters. Espar of Michigan stocks these parts and can UPS them to your home location or you can visit Espar of Michigan and pick them up. Location is convenient, I94/exit 198. Have the guys at Espar of Michigan look over your Rigmaster while you are there. Lead technician Matt N. and owner Ray Lawrence will take good care of you and your Rigmaster.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No problem with the air filters. Espar of Michigan stocks these parts and can UPS them to your home

We may do that. I was provided with a Donaldson number. Are these available at NAPA?

Davekc

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
I have an AUX..not sure if I'd recommend it, but I have over 6100 Hours on it. Runs strong, burns no oil and knock on wood still heats, cools and charges well. It is 5 yrs old..replaced waterpump and factory valving into truck cooling system. Rebuilt alternator once along with some bracketing. Change oil and filters 250 hrs. It doesn't owe me a thing and still keeps my 96" cool in 115F!!! Only real :censoredsign:..the muffler is way too low. Wife has dragged it twice on steep ramps