gelled fuel

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I am caught by the gelled fuel demon in Rockford, IL. I've never experienced this fun before. My question is, once it warms up and things thaw out is there any lasting effect? Do I need to do anything to the truck or just drive it after it thaws? I did put some diesel kleen that claims to increase cetane number and resist gelling into the tanks but the horse was already out of the barn by then.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo
There shold be no problems with the fuel, but your filters may need to be changed if there is any contamination present or you want to be safe. $10 filters are easier to change than a $1000 Inj pump.

Speaking from experience, I had this problem a few times with winterized diesel (minus 10 degrees over the weekend was the common problem) and had to change my primary filter and put in an anti-gel in the fuel to make sure nothing was wrong.

I was reading the other day that some trucks in the prudhoe bay/barrow hav espars water heater that heats the fuel in the tanks, which the tanks are also wrapped in insulation to keep the heat in the tanks and the fuel from freezing. Talk about cold.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo you can buy Power Service products in WalMart for about$2.00 cheaper than a Flying J. They sell it in the automotive section.BTW how cold was it in Rockford?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was a record low of -2 that got me. I left the truck idling overnite last nite and this morning when I got back to it the engine was running as smooth as could be and with no visible output of any sort from the stacks. I presumed the additive had done it's job so I shut it off. I'll try starting it again tomorrow and see what happens. I'm also going to get some Howe's the next time I stop where they sell it and be sure to treat the tanks before it's that cold again.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it does but I'm going from memory so is that ever dangerous. I'll check all the options available before I make a purchase.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Howes normal fuel additive is suppossed to prevent gelling. They advertise "You go in snow or we pay the tow".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They do seperate them. Meaner Power Cleaner is a additive for performance, and the standard Howes is the anti-gel.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I had a repeat problem tonite. The technician came out to where I was and checked it. He told me it was full of red fuel. I have only bought fuel 3 times at 3 different Flying J's, New Caney, TX., Texarkana, AR., and Matthews, MO. He told me the red fuel isn't treated at all for the cold. He used some stuff called 'winter thaw' and says I should be good to about 30 below zero with what's in the tanks now. I think I'm going to take my business to T/A for a while.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> I have only bought fuel 3 times at 3 different Flying
>J's, New Caney, TX., Texarkana, AR., and Matthews, MO. He
>told me the red fuel isn't treated at all for the cold.

Flying J could be in big trouble for selling dyed fuel.This is supposed to be for off road use and untaxed.

I would run this by OOIDA.

I know you have a new truck.Could the dealer have put it in by mistake?Even if he did, after 3 fuelings I wouldnt think there would be much left.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The truck arrived at the dealer with maybe 30 gallons. The low fuel light was on. I drove it a few miles to the people who put the APU on it. On the way back to the dealer I stopped at the Love's in Houston and put about 30 gallons in it. Before I left the dealer put about another 30 gallons in it. They don't fill them. After that I did the 3 fills at the 3 J's I mentioned. I thought about the factory, Love's and dealer but at only around 30 gallons each that wouldn't be enough to have this mechanic telling me it's full of red fuel and like you say most of that would have burned off already. I emailed Flying J and OOIDA about it. It will be interesting to see what kind of responses I get.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You should have had the tech pull several samples and bottle them. At that point, you could send them to a lab to see how much dye is in there.
I would consider a clear plastic container and pump alittle fuel in it prior to filling. At least you will know what you are getting.
The red dye is likely what came from the factory or the dealer.

Pretty risky for any truck stop to be loading tankers with red dye fuel for highway consumption. The EPA fines ect. are enormous.

Davekc

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The source can only be from the factory. There is no way J is gona get cought even by accident or any reputable fueling co. like Loves or Pilot, the fine would be enormous for them.

I had posted on this earlier regarding the poor winter mileage, it will begin to jell at about 10F and will cause performance and filter problems at about 5F and only go down hill for every degree colder.

Howes is great but to expensive compared to Power Service that can be purchased in gallons or a little less at Walmart. There is a summer and a winter the winter has some Cetain Boost in it and the summer is all Cetain Boost do not OVER USE the summer or you will be changing filters (EXPIERENCED HERE). I have also been warned do not over use the winter either as to much will cause waxing of your filters clogging them and damage the injectors a little goes a long way but the message I got was be consistant so since your going to Texas and do not think it will be cold down there keep using it all winter long maybee a little weaker but use it anyway is what I was told.

A good friend of mine is a farmer in ILL works with this problem year round. Great source of knowledge for questions like this.

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
LD,

Get a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol. Pour half the bottle for each 30 gallons of fuel and you will prevent gelling. Sounds crazy, but it works:7

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
FYI, during the whole Katrina fuel "crisis" and due to the low availability of #2 diesel, the DOE allowed use of dyed off road fuel in on road applications for a limited time as long as the road taxes were paid. My guess is one of your Flying J stops still has some in the ground.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Flying J Makes its own fuel does it not?
>
>Aviator

In alot of areas yes..but in Canada I seen J tankers being refilled at a Shell refinery in Sarnia

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
Not without available crude oil they don't. That was the whole reason "already distilled" off road fuel was allowed to be used. No crude oil.