Gas tanks & Static electricity

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Ok, so I've got a van now and I want to add a generator and a/c of some kind. What I like the best is the Honda 2000 and either a portable room a/c or an rv roofmount.

My problem with the Honda is that I'm going to need to carry an extra fuel tank. Since these tanks are plastic, is there a problem with static electricity? What precations should be taken?

I'm not so sure that I want a gas container in the back of the van anyway, but if I do, I definitely want it to be safe.

My thanks to who ever has a good explanation :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I know that this isn't what you want to hear or what alot of others would agree with, but I can promise you there are more then you think doin the same thing....i have a 6 gallon extended range gas tank usually with a gallon or 2 of gas in it at any given time, 1 2 gallon gas can, and 2 16 lb propnae tanks in my van most of the yr...i do nothing special at all, they are just there and have been for over 3 yrs....

LOL, and I haven't been ignoring your PM about the mounting of the generator and I will send you a pm later tonight!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not all plastics can generate static electricity. An approved gasoline container also dissipates static electricity, as long as it is placed the pavement before filling begins. Leave the can in the trunk (carpeted surface) or pickup box (plastic liner or bare metal), howeve it is a different story. A trunk liner, bed mat or bed liner insulates the vehicle from the ground and the static buildup of electricity has nowhere to go. Static buildup occurs a it releases, the resulting spark can set off the gasoline. The static comes from the gasoline itself, not the container. As the fuel flows through the hose and nozzle, static electricity builds up on the gasoline. This charge takes several seconds to dissipate after the gas is poured into the can. If the can is insulated from ground, the spark can dissipate and it builds up until discharge occurs. So make sure the container is on the ground when you fill it up. Once filled, you can then safely place the container back into the van for safe storage.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
So..the only time that static is created is when your filling the tank? And... if you have it on the ground during that time, your ok? Well, that's not the way I understood it, but that's why I was asking :D

Chef: I know everyone does it. That doesn't mean I'm gonna do it though...lol. You would have to know me, I guess. It's a long story, but I have my burn scars and real serious about not gettin more :)

Even without the static electricity, it seems like there would be at least some fumes present in the van...and then you have some electronics, inverter, etc. ?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Also Chef: Thanks for your input. I thought you would be one of the first to chime in and I know you carry your gen and gas can in the van. I probably will too, but after some research and some good advice. That's what the forums are here for.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So..the only time that static is created is when your filling the tank? And... if you have it on the ground during that time, your ok? Well, that's not the way I understood it, but that's why I was asking :D
That's actually the way I have always understood it, but I double checked to be sure. What have you understood?

Even without the static electricity, it seems like there would be at least some fumes present in the van...and then you have some electronics, inverter, etc. ?
Well, sure, some fumes, maybe, but even a can sitting there with the cap removed, it is not very likely to have enough fumes evaporate and then collect so as to be an explosive danger with electronics on board. You'd have to store the gas can within some kind of enclosed container, with the cap removed, and also install the inverter and battery bank in the same enclosure. Don't do that.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That's actually the way I have always understood it, but I double checked to be sure. What have you understood?

I thought the movement of the can against whatever surface it was sitting on (bedliner, carpet, etc) was where the charge originated.

I was actually expecting to learn what surfaces were most likely to produce a static charge..and what type of surface to avoid using for storage of the plastic container.

Do you have a link to anything? I wouldn't mind doing some reading for my own education and peace of mind.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't really have any links for it. I'd take a lot of what is said at pickup truck forums with a grain of salt, as there are people on those boards who will tell you that a rubber bed liner will generate static electricity and spontaneously explode a gas can.

As long as its an approved container, you're fine.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dude!! With you having burn scars, I have no issue with you seeking info at all...and even questioning what anyone would tell you...pece of mind can't be taken lightly in your situation at all...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks to both of you. I'll actually do some research on it. I asked here first to get an idea of what to look for. It all sounds reasonable enough.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I thought I saw somewhere on this forum, that one of the forum members was using a plastic gas can as a means of extending the generator run time. Would this generate static electricity ? Gas flowing through fuel line between gas can and generator is what I am referring to. Would the generator act as a ground if it was not touching the pavement ?

jimmy

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I thought I saw somewhere on this forum, that one of the forum members was using a plastic gas can as a means of extending the generator run time. Would this generate static electricity ? Gas flowing through fuel line between gas can and generator is what I am referring to. Would the generator act as a ground if it was not touching the pavement ?

jimmy

Alot of people are doing that....good question.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I came up with two good links. The snopes.com link talks more about filling your car than it does portable containers, but it does give a good description of both...it's just a long article. The second link is a good one just on portable containers. Both show that Turtle is correct... surprised? lol

I thought I would give both links. If nothing else, maybe someone will recognize a dangerous habit and correct it before they get hurt.

snopes.com: Static and Refueling Fires

Filling Gas Cans

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I'm in the same boat,,Picked up van and driver this past year and am starting to feel comfortable that he is picking up on the job and will stick it out.
I also am deathly afraid of the fact of having gasoline and cans in the truck. I know countless of ppl have used em and gotten away with it for years.
Anyways I believe fuel tanks, Steel lines,,fittings,bulk-head fittings shut off switches etc etc,should be used. Everything should be mounted in a permanent fashion. I'm thinking a aux tank is best route to go. Possibly going with a quick disconnect fuel lines with the Generator mounted on rear doors.

AluminumGasTanks.net

Standard or Custom Fuel Tanks, Mounting Kits for trucks from Cleveland Tank & Supply
Places like these links will help give ya ideas.Its going to be a bit costly but I thing safety is best route to go since we are smokers and van is also used for our hunting trips.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Just get a DOT rated gasoline can for the van and everything will be alright.

Well if ya knew this guy ya would know he has a tendency to get off route for cheaper fuel (or he failed to top off last time) and extra stops for more shower credits. I'm hoping to connect this to main fuel tank with shut off values to allow him added miles when needed. Also think but I'm not sure yet (because I haven't followed it) but I think it will help with the fuel bill coming out of Canada???

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Anyways I believe fuel tanks, Steel lines,,fittings,bulk-head fittings shut off switches etc etc,should be used. Everything should be mounted in a permanent fashion. I'm thinking a aux tank is best route to go. Possibly going with a quick disconnect fuel lines with the Generator mounted on rear doors.

I have considered something like you've mentioned, but I'm not sure that connecting to any of these tanks would be any different or more beneficial than just connecting to the van's existing fuel tank.

I've got a thread in the truck forum about that. (for others that might run across this thread in the future)