Garmin getting retarded

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just wondering if anyone elseis having strange problems with their Garmin I have the Truckers unit with the 7" screen It has me get on interstate ramps going the wrong direction just to get off at the next ramp and turn around. also while on the interstate it has had me drive pass the ramp I need to get off on to get off at the next one and turn around also around detroit areas the speed limit keeps changing every minute or less changing the speed limit for th road.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you try doing a reset on the unit?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To reboot a Garmin, with the unit on, slide the switch to the off position and hold there for 10 seconds. When the screen goes black, release the slide switch. This should start the reboot process where the maps load and you get to agree to Garmin's terms of use. I reboot mine every few days.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Reboot and restore are two completely different animals.
Restore clears the temporary memory and resets to factory specs. Many times this cracks thru software issues.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine is always about 150' behind. Not bad in regular use but in cities, it can be a hassle, especially in NYC.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

Monty

Expert Expediter
I read an article on The Trucker yesterday about Garmin's sending truckers over Independence Pass southwest of Vail.

No matter the GPS, it is only a tool, not your lord and master.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
After stopping for any reason (fuel, food, bathroom,etc) the first instruction my Garmin gives is ALWAYS wrong! It seems to delight in sending me the wrong way out of any parking lot. I must remember where I was going and follow my own reasoning to get back on track. After that, my Garmin is flawless. Its almost like its 20 seconds behind in thinking...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just wondering if anyone elseis having strange problems with their Garmin I have the Truckers unit with the 7" screen It has me get on interstate ramps going the wrong direction just to get off at the next ramp and turn around. also while on the interstate it has had me drive pass the ramp I need to get off on to get off at the next one and turn around also around detroit areas the speed limit keeps changing every minute or less changing the speed limit for th road.

It'll do that every now and then, both for car and truck. It's just a quirk with the routing algorithms. Sometimes it'll have to get off the Interstate, cross the street and get right back on. Most of the time I don't fall for it, but every now and then I do. If you fall for it, once you're back on the Interstate if you listen closely, you can hear the Garmin snickering.

As for how well it works in the concrete canyons of NYC, Chicago and a few others, there are just too many bounce reflections for it to be accurate in those places. The satellite signal bounces between buildings several times, causing timing delays, which confuses the GPS receiver and causes positional problems.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine regularly does the wrong turn for starters also. I ignore it and go the way I know is correct. Mine also wants to exit the interstate randomly now and then. I usually ignore it when I know my destination is two states away so it would be ridiculous to exit. Once in a while it fools me though. I tried a Tom Tom a while back but returned it after a day. I didn't like the operating system as much. My Garmin is about 3 years old. I'd like to try one of the new ones but don't need a new one so I'll just keep using Stupid.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know about the other makes but anyone who has their garmin set to shortest route will experience getting routed off the interstate more often. Try setting to faster time and see if it improves. I have two garmins and they will both do this If set for shorter distance. I don't think this is a flaw, it's just an interpretation of the map.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on if it's set to Car or Truck, too. Faster and Shorter for each vehicle type can result in four dramatically different routes.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

LOL! I just bought a new one, the 2555 LMT model, and I have to admit that the old one is better. 'Cept for the updates. Yesterday it took me off freeway one exit earlier, and for over a mile I drove on the service road, then reached the next exit, had to yield for the incoming traffic from the ramp, and finally I was on my way...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Garmin is about 3 years old. I'd like to try one of the new ones but don't need a new one so I'll just keep using Stupid.

If you can update the maps on this one, don't buy a new one. I just bought this 2555 from Sam's Club, and honestly I don't like it. My old one it's about the same age as yours, bought it back in April 2010.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app