Garden Corner 2011

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I'd received a mixed pack of 6 different heirlooms from Guerney's two years ago...there was a small green striped tomato that was super delicious and silly me...didn't save a seed!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had some green striped tomatoes a few years back but don't remember what they were. However last year I had some green tomatoes which I served up and got everyone upset thinking they were not rip. I used it in some salsa which turned out to be rather good.

Right now I was handed some thing about a gardening system call SPIN. It looks like another take on Intensive farming, which is used in France and England.

Have you thought of using that in you little big garden?

Of course not like they do but rather in a modified version.

Last edited:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I had some green striped tomatoes a few years back but don't remember what they were. However last year I had some green tomatoes which I served up and got everyone upset thinking they were not rip. I used it in some salsa which turned out to be rather good.

Right now I was handed some thing about a gardening system call SPIN. It looks like another take on Intensive farming, which is used in France and England. Have you thought of using that in you little big garden?

I've not heard of that one..when I lived in Maryland with a tiny garden I did use that square foot gardening system and that was a pretty intense little garden. Surrounded by non arsenic treated planks in a 4x4 sectioned off garden..planted very few seeds and never got my feet muddy.

moose

Veteran Expediter
SOooo. ...
In a far far away land, there was a this gorgeous Lady.
she had the most beautiful garden village wide.
one year the tomato's did not turned red.
the lady tried everything she know, but the tomato's stayed green.
one afternoon at the Pub, the lady swallowed her pride, approached the next door farmer, and asked him, how he get his tomato's go red and full each year.
the old farmer scratched his head, took a long drink off his beer, and answers .
well, if you did everything right, like i know you did, and the tomato's won't go red... well my Lady, it happens to me once, back in the days. i followed a friend advice, and had the best tomato's that year.
when the moon goes hiding behind the clouds, walk around the garden naked, for a full 2 hours. the tomato's will blush, and turn red overnight.

a week later the old farmer met the Lady in church, and asked her if the trick worked.

well, replied the Lady, the tomato's are still green, but i now have the best Cucumbers ...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Right now I was handed some thing about a gardening system call SPIN. It looks like another take on Intensive farming, which is used in France and England.

Have you thought of using that in you little big garden?

Of course not like they do but rather in a modified version.

SPIN stands for S-mall P-lot IN-tensive

SPIN-Farming is a non-technical, easy-to-learn and inexpensive-to-implement vegetable farming system that makes it possible to earn significant income from land bases under an acre in size. Whether you are new to farming, or want to farm in a new way, SPIN can work for you because:

Its precise revenue targeting formulas and organic-based techniques make it possible to gross $50,000+ from a half- acre.
You don't need to own land. You can affordably rent or barter a small piece of land adequate in size for SPIN-Farming production.
It works in either the city, country or small town.
It fits into any lifestyle or life cycle.

SPIN is being practiced by first generation farmers because it removes the two big barriers to entry - land and capital - as well as by established farmers who want to diversify or downsize, as well as by part-time hobby farmers.

SPIN-Farming - How to farm commercially on under an acre

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Gee you guys wanna get all technical on me..

me...till, hoe a row, drop in seeds, cover, water, weed and wait!:p