Garden Corner 2011

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are adjusting the yield as to our needs....and always changing what we plant....we need a little more corn, beans, and peas...they don't yield as much per plant because of our dry air and such....we NEED less potatoes, cucumbers and tomatos....they do well...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
We are adjusting the yield as to our needs....and always changing what we plant....we need a little more corn, beans, and peas...they don't yield as much per plant because of our dry air and such....we NEED less potatoes, cucumbers and tomatos....they do well...

more beans are okay as long as your the only one in the van:eek::p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not that much Greg...tis only a small one...about 250 feet long by 60 foot wide...

So out of that, 15,000 sq ft, you only use about a third of an acre.

Did Juju and you ever account for the amount you grow?

Meaning how much tomatoes, Kiwi, Pak Choy, radishes and peanuts to you get out of that garden?

The reason I am asking is I may end up with 2 acres out by Layout's neck of the woods (shh don't tell him) and I will be filling in the wetlands and making a garden on one acre and the other use it as a toxic dumping grounds on the other.

Seriously I am looking at buying 2 acres and using part of it for a 'garden' so I am looking at yields of others to see what I may get out of it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So out of that, 15,000 sq ft, you only use about a third of an acre.

Did Juju and you ever account for the amount you grow?

Meaning how much tomatoes, Kiwi, Pak Choy, radishes and peanuts to you get out of that garden?

The reason I am asking is I may end up with 2 acres out by Layout's neck of the woods (shh don't tell him) and I will be filling in the wetlands and making a garden on one acre and the other use it as a toxic dumping grounds on the other.

Seriously I am looking at buying 2 acres and using part of it for a 'garden' so I am looking at yields of others to see what I may get out of it.

Well my yields will be different then yours...the whole big picture to look at... Is it going to be organic or you plan on using some chemicals? You going to have the soil tested?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well my yields will be different then yours...the whole big picture to look at... Is it going to be organic or you plan on using some chemicals? You going to have the soil tested?

I know they are different, I am looking at what others are doing for my planning. See I am up in the air of what I want to plant and where. I usually lease a few acres here and there and plant little gardens on them but this year was such a disaster with the flood that my yields from them were less than what I bought from one veggie stand in Indiana. I still hold options to ten acres for those little gardens but think that I won't renew them.

It looks like I will be closing on the land next week so I will do my soil testing then.

Organic?

I don't like a lot of chemicals.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What I would like to know is how do you find the time to plant anything?? The only thing I seem to plant is C/Vans. One here, one there but they don't grow they just spread out.:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know they are different, I am looking at what others are doing for my planning. See I am up in the air of what I want to plant and where. I usually lease a few acres here and there and plant little gardens on them but this year was such a disaster with the flood that my yields from them were less than what I bought from one veggie stand in Indiana. I still hold options to ten acres for those little gardens but think that I won't renew them.

It looks like I will be closing on the land next week so I will do my soil testing then.

Organic?

I don't like a lot of chemicals.

With that much land...IF fully utilized...you planning on marketing your crops?...maybe a side income?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

dans_squirrel.jpg

greg334

Veteran Expediter
With that much land...IF fully utilized...you planning on marketing your crops?...maybe a side income?

I planned on doing what I did the past couple years this year - plant everything I can then give it to the charities that need it. BUT this year screwed that all up. So We don't know yet, we've been thinking about marketing for a number of reasons ... I do want to use the dehydrator that you ordered but won't pick up and maybe tap into that dried tomato market in Ann Arbor.

funny Ragman

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Some might say the garden's dead
I prefer to think it's sleeping instead
It's so pretty now it's tilled and brown
Another year has come and gone

The larders full, the neighbors fed
and the garden's put to bed
guess it's time to retire
this garden thread.:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
So what's your favorite tomato to plant? I planted Early Girls this year and they were perfect for canning and salsa, but I love that taste of a big ripe red tomato and also the heirloom tomatoes for just eating. If anyone is a seed saver, I'd love to get some really tasty ones.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had some Cherokee Purple seeds from the other year and planted those this year to see what would happen - they were the only ones that survived so I like them. I have some Russian and Japanese tomatoes that I want to try, I was given a basket of those last year and they were tasty.

I had early girl and Fourth of Julys' last year which were good tasting and we used them in salsa. The fourths' came in 10 days before the early girl if I remember right.