Garden Center 2012

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
A tiny jewel appeared in my mailbox today..the promise of things to come...time to start dreaming/ planning for next year...The Guerney catalog has arrived!!!!!:D

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Definately sweet potatoes this year instead of the Pontiac reds..they're healthier for you..

OMG...you should see those sweet eggplant pictures..yum...yep...they'll be on the list too!..and spinach and rutabagas and parsnips and maybe turnips..

Tomatoes..definately the black krim and...ah..still looking and drooling!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
And the Brandywine which is an Amish variety..

maybe the Principe Borghese...good for sundried tomatoes and you store them by pulling up the whole plant and hanging them upside down.

Still debating the Green Zebra, a green striped and the Big Rainbow..which is yellow..

maybe I'll start them all from seeds this year and have them all!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I will definately plant more of those sweet little canteloupe..I'd frozen some from the summer and it's like eating a sweet canteloupe ice pop...wow is it ever good!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK??

I was asking why you said they were Amish, not if they are wonderful. I don't get the Amish thing,

I know how they taste, they are good. Try the Zebras too and if you get a chance try Krims if you can get organic or heirloom.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
OK??

I was asking why you said they were Amish, not if they are wonderful. I don't get the Amish thing,

I know how they taste, they are good. Try the Zebras too and if you get a chance try Krims if you can get organic or heirloom.
That's just the way the description read in the catalog...and I love the zebras and will be trying the Krims too..and yep they're heirlooms..just did early girls last year and while they're a great canning tomato..not quite the flavor. I prefer it when they're big, tasty and juicy enough to run down my chin!

I gather you're going to put in a huge garden this year?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well OK if the catalog says so, I guess but it really isn't.

I don't know yet what I'm going to do. I have options to use 10 acres altogether plus what I bought up last year so I haven't really figured out what's going to happen this coming year. I let the other 10 acres in leases lapse because they are too difficult to deal with this time around. No one to help this time around but if I can avoid a wet spring without another flood 2012 like we had in 2011, then I think I will spend more time doing this and less driving.

I was talking to some lady over at TSC last week who sold about $80k of produce this year plus donated $20K in unsold veggies. She is using 8 acres and did nothing but heirlooms and a couple specialty stuff. She thinks 2012 may be a bit better than last and expects to top out at $100k if the economy holds out. She said she's getting $2 a lb for Cherokees and Krims and $2.50 for Japanese Trifele on the tomatoe side but she mentioned her best sellers were beets and garlic and sold everything she produced.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Well OK if the catalog says so, I guess but it really isn't.

I don't know yet what I'm going to do. I have options to use 10 acres altogether plus what I bought up last year so I haven't really figured out what's going to happen this coming year. I let the other 10 acres in leases lapse because they are too difficult to deal with this time around. No one to help this time around but if I can avoid a wet spring without another flood 2012 like we had in 2011, then I think I will spend more time doing this and less driving.

I was talking to some lady over at TSC last week who sold about $80k of produce this year plus donated $20K in unsold veggies. She is using 8 acres and did nothing but heirlooms and a couple specialty stuff. She thinks 2012 may be a bit better than last and expects to top out at $100k if the economy holds out. She said she's getting $2 a lb for Cherokees and Krims and $2.50 for Japanese Trifele on the tomatoe side but she mentioned her best sellers were beets and garlic and sold everything she produced.

Wow...that is a money making propostition...out here most folks have their own gardens and swap some things. How did she market those?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wow...that is a money making propostition...out here most folks have their own gardens and swap some things. How did she market those?

Three ways, one is through a coop who has a booth at the two major markets in the area, her website (which I didn't get the URL) and through a new thing called CSA locally grown which is a cyber marker of sorts. She mentioned she and her husband had a road side stand for a bit but made $400 the first year and gave up.

She did mention some trading site, I have been searching for it but apparently there are people who trade produce for meat and so on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Three ways, one is through a coop who has a booth at the two major markets in the area, her website (which I didn't get the URL) and through a new thing called CSA locally grown which is a cyber marker of sorts. She mentioned she and her husband had a road side stand for a bit but made $400 the first year and gave up.

She did mention some trading site, I have been searching for it but apparently there are people who trade produce for meat and so on.

There ya go...we'll swap sis a cow, for all her produce needs and she won't have to garden.....:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I guess the point of having a gardening thread is now about toys and dresses?

I didn't think you's guys had any trees in SD with all the oil derricks being all over the place.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK I guess the point of having a gardening thread is now about toys and dresses?

I didn't think you's guys had any trees in SD with all the oil derricks being all over the place.

I was just reading up on using our wood ashes in the garden...

The oil fields are getting closer!! They are now south of I94 as far south as Bowman and Dickinson...