g-p-s

panthervanman

Seasoned Expediter
hi I'm thinking of getting a gps and was needing help from anyone with one they relly likeand did you buy it at a store or on line or ebay???thks;-)

ruff_rider

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah I'm using one thru my lap top and love it, they are really easy to use if u get one and need help with it let me know

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
If ya have a laptop I'd suggest Streets & Trips. Ya can get it on sale at various places w/ the GPS unit for about $90. I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I've used that b4 & liked it.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Before you start believing that the laptop with GPS is the only way to go, I am still using my Garmin Streetpilot that has served some 6 years. Right now am shopping for a newer unit and like the Garmin C330 so far.

Vernon in C2197

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
The Microsoft GPS doesn’t work for long I have had 3 of them they don’t last 6 months for some reason they just stop working and system wont recognize it the software works great though.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
>Before you start believing that the laptop with GPS is the
>only way to go, I am still using my Garmin Streetpilot that
>has served some 6 years. Right now am shopping for a newer
>unit and like the Garmin C330 so far.
>
>Vernon in C2197

Don’t think any one said laptop was the only way to go but if he already owns a laptop the GPS add-on is a lot less than buying a street pilot.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter 1.5 years.

Like Vernon said, we have been using Garmin C-330 and have been very pleased. We have now become the silent team since we rarely have to call dispatch for directions! Best single investment made!!!

C5BILL

Expert Expediter
Recently purchased a Garmin C340 from Walmart 0n-line. Works great and certainly relieves the tension on those dark and rainy nights. Best $500. ever spent on my van.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I had two Magellins. One broke and the other didn't have the features desired. I now have the Garmen c340 and love it. It has features for truck or auto. The diff between the 330 and the 340 is a the ability to buy a radio receiver compatible with the 340. It alerts you to road hazards, accidents and detours and automatically reroutes you. It has a monthly service fee and I think it's a feature that we don't need. The 330 is identical otherwise and is a great touch screen machine.

The 330/340 have controlable voice prompts and its features are upgradable via internet.

I bought my GPS's and other electronic devices at COSTCO stores or through their online catalog because their return policy is "full refund with no questions asked". Can't always do that at the Best Buys or through online discount outlets.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
We use Delorme Street Atlas with their GPS.....99$ for gps and software and is amazing. We love it and we drive tractor trailer. Run it on laptop and it tracks us and gives time left and miles etc....great program...heads and shoulders above streets and trips and much more user friendly.

(purchase at Best Buy)

-Charlotte

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have used both the laptop and then the dash mounted GPS. Felt like both systems did a great job. The problem with the laptop was we did not have an appropriate mounting bracket so the laptop sat in the passenger seat or on the floor. We felt with the investment we had in our laptop we didn't want it floating around. Also the problem was the screen was way to bright at night and hard to read. Our Lawrance has a much easier screen to read and controls on the light. For the money I would still suggest going with the dash mounted GPS they are made to read going down the road. We also have the voice on our GPS but find that when one person is sleeping that voice is very annoying!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With a van any gps unit can work since you don't have to worry about height restrictions. For a van I'd compare units somewhere that is set up so you can see actual screen images and choose the one that looks best and is easiest to read for you. Some have too small fonts for my old eyes. The larger the screen the better. Adjustable backlighting is very desirable. You might check with other drivers when you are at a t/s to see what they use and how they like it. You can also read user reviews on circuitcity.com to get an idea on how they perform in actual use.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Having a GPS unit with truck route feature option is important for vans as well as trucks. We van drivers need to be routed around the Parkways that do not allow commercial vehicles of any size. This is particularly important in NYC. Automobile-only GPS units will always insist the use of a parkway entrance unless you can create a detour, a feature available on some of the more expensive models.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Good point, Terry - we have a Metroparks Drive here in Northeast Ohio that also forbids commercial vehicles, & I've had to give up some of my favorite shortcuts, and the pleasure of driving through the lovely, leafy shade in the summer, & leafpeeping in the fall.:-(

topgunn

Expert Expediter
i'm a courier van driver driving 100k miles per year. i'm sold on the garmin streetpilot. some of the other drivers have the tom tom but they don't like it;i'm not sure why. the garmin streetpilot c330 talks to you, has everything i need at a decent price and i love it. its upgradable to the models that work with XM satellite for $1 more over your $13/monthly XM subscription which alerts you to traffic accidents or cone zones and suggests a detour. best of all you can get free map updates downloaded to it at garmin.com.

best buy has the c330 for $450 but i got mine new at ebay for about $350.

(insert cute, homespun phrase here):)

panthervanman

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry I didn't thk everyone before now but I don't have wifi and I have been running like a mad man. I'm home now and I read every post.When I was out this time I did find a couple of drivers that let me take a look at what they were using, the one that I ended up going with was the garmin 550 street,with blue tooth. They retail for about $799.00 but my daughter was able to land one on e-bay for $599.00. I have snice read alot of customer reveiws on them and I think I'm going to like it.thks for all the help!!! Remember lets all be safe out there.panthervanman...:7 :7 :7 ;-)

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Glad some one is running good!

hope the GPS works out good for ya!

Alvin
looks like I'm heading out of upstate NY empty!