Fuel Filter Ford Diesel Vans

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
WIX in their wisdom has changed the design of their fuel filters. On a Ford P.U. it's not much of a difference. For me at least on a Van it's hard enough to get at the filter to change as it is. The new style filter has the filter & top as one piece. So in trying to install it you really need some leverage to move the hose's to get the height to install the extra legnth\depth.

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
don['t forget doign all of that while trying not to knock dirt in the housing and on the filter lol

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
In the P.U. it's just about dead center & easily reached. In the Van you need to remove the dual air filter housing. The filter is again just about dead center, only now it's almost directly under the begining of the Cowl with two hoses going\laying on top of it. With the old style you removed the top ( A spin off) then pulled the filter up & out. Now it's necessary to get an extra inch or more to install or remove the Wix filter. I sent Wix an E mail saying I would like to hear from anyone at Wix who had actually installed the new style filter in a Ford Van. No responce.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wix changed their supplier for the Sprinter oil filters as well, now the filter comes with really cheap o-rings that don't always seal and the filter is made in Poland instead of Germany (an is slightly smaller).

guido4475

Not a Member
Luber finer is the same way.Ford told me to remove the air box from the engine cover which includes taking the heat shield off of the turbo.then taking off the hose going to the air box,taking off the electrical unit that is being held on by 2 bolts, then unplugging the sensor. I found a way last week to do it without removing half of that stuff.Ford replacement filters are 2 piece.