Fuel Cost

RamblnRose

Expert Expediter
Maybe we should all stop complaining about the high cost of fuel, the whole issue of passing on the fuel surcharge and start doing something about it.

We need to make someone aware that if we do not soon get relief from these soaring fuel prices, we will soon HAVE to park our trucks. But, in reading several posts on this forum, it is apparent that not all companies turn over to the drivers the collected fuel surcharge, (if one is even collected).

The only solution that I can see is to “petition the Government for redress of grievance”. In other words to demand legislation that permanently fixes this problem by forcing a surcharge equal to (x) cents per mile if the national average raises above (y) cost and, of course, ordering all surcharge be delivered to the O/O.

How many O/O's would be willing to shut down for 1, 2 or 3 days as a demonstration strike. Those of you, who say no, automatically lose your gripe rights on this subject.

Let’s all get behind this and let’s get our organizations (OOIDA etc.) behind this.

It is (well past) time for action.

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
From what I've heard on another board 100-150 trucks are going to be striking in CA on Thursday.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thursday is tomorrow, I wish that was true and if everone is going to do it nationwide, I would love to know, so I too can be a part of it. I just received a letter from OOIDA about calling a congressman here is a copy of the letter:

National Call-to-Action

Fuel prices are hitting record highs. Stories about gas and diesel prices are headlining daily in TV, newspaper and radio news reports. Politicians pay close attention to headlines.

Now is the time to take advantage of those headlines. Now is the time to contact your congressmen and senators about passing mandatory fuel surcharge legislation! Let them know what they can do to help you and your fellow truckers survive the sky-high fuel prices.

Small-business truckers who have their own authority often have little leverage against shippers to require a fuel surcharge. Even if you are currently receiving surcharge money from a carrier or broker, most likely it’s a fraction of what they are charging their customers and a tiny fraction of what you are paying at the pump.

Mandatory fuel surcharge legislation would require motor carriers, brokers and freight forwarders to use a fuel surcharge with truckload shipments when the average price of diesel fuel goes above $1.15/gallon. This legislation would also require 100 percent of the surcharge to be passed through to you.

This legislation does not yet have a bill number, but it is currently being circulated around Capitol Hill by OOIDA.

Lawmakers from the House of Representatives and Senate will be meeting over the next few weeks "in conference" to reconcile their respective versions of the highway funding reauthorization bill. There may be a chance to get the mandatory fuel surcharge legislation into the final “Conference Report” for the highway bill. This is what ultimately goes to the president to be signed into law or vetoed. And it’s our opportunity to fix a problem that has been around for decades.

The bills in conference:

· House – Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users, aka ‘TEA-LU’ (HR 3550)
· Senate – Safe, Accountable, Flexible and Efficient Transportation Equity Act, aka ‘SAFETEA’ (S 1072)

The message:

“Small-business truckers need to have mandatory fuel surcharge legislation passed to survive spikes in current and future diesel fuel prices. If Senator _____ or Congressman _____ is not a conferee for the highway bill, it is extremely important that they contact lawmakers who will be participating in the conference about the need for fuel surcharge
legislation."

Please call and write your U.S. elected officials at their Washington and/or local offices as soon as possible. If you are not sure who they are, simply phone the OOIDA membership department and they'll look up the information for you. The toll-free number is 1-800-444-5791. If you know who they are but don't have contact information, you can visit www.congress.org, www.house.gov or www.senate.gov. Or you can also call the U.S. Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. If you're home, try looking in the blue government pages in the phone book, or call local information.

Pointers for effective communication:

· Be Prepared - You may have the opportunity for only a brief conversation, so try to make the best of that time. Before you pick up the phone, organize your thoughts for the main points you would like to talk about.
· The Right Person – When calling a Washington office, be sure to ask for the individual who handles transportation issues for the lawmaker. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to speak directly with your lawmaker. Talking with the staff person who advises them on an issue is often just as effective. If you get transferred to voice mail, don’t be frustrated. Leave a message saying the same things you would say anyway. Also leave your phone number and ask for a return call.
· Who You Are – The first thing you will want to say or write is who you are, where you are from, and what you want to talk about. You may also want to let them know that you are an OOIDA member and that they may contact the association about the surcharge legislation.
· To the Point – Be clear and concise in your writing. Try not to be too lengthy, but be sure to fully explain yourself. Focus on one specific issue in each letter.
· Assist Their Understanding – Remember to use terms and references the lawmaker and his or her staff will easily be able to understand. Providing examples and discussing your experiences will also be very helpful.

If you have questions, do not hesitate to call the association at 1-800-444-5791.

Together we can make our voices heard. Together we can make Capitol Hill take notice. Together we can make life better for truckers throughout America.

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
I read it on Getloaded's message board.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

G

By following the links in Teacel's post, you can find an email address to you congressman/woman. I used that to send my message. Should I also call or write?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jeepers Rich. Rediculous. I gave up writing congresspeople a long time ago- found it more productive to talk to a brick wall. If this country would have concentrated on alternate alcohol based forms of fuel such as methanol 25 years ago, most of our farmers would still be here and we wouldn't have to be relying on OPEC and the games the Arabs play. BTW, whatever happened to the Alaska Pipeline??
BMW is now testing a car, and BNSF railway has a rail locomotive that is now running on refrigerated nitrogen. I hope this country comes up with an energy production solution fast, because OPEC isn't happening anymore, and you can be rest assured the Iraq situation has a lot if not everything to do with that. I remember being warned of this situation back in grade school during the Carter administration:eek:
-Weave-

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
> BTW,
>whatever happened to the Alaska Pipeline??

I asked the same question a while back, and read that they send the oil to other countries, because the sulfur content is to high for our use.

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter
"What ever happened to the Alaska Pipeline?"

The US government has large, many millions of acres of oil reserves set aside in Alaska for Naval and Military fuel reserves in times of war. That will probably be the last place on Earth where oil will be taken from.

G

Personally, I've always thought that our gov't was holding these oil reserves back for a much different reason. I believe that the overall goal is to buy from foreign supplies as long as they exist. When oil reserves become limited wordwide, we will still be sitting on ours.

Just another of my twisted opinions :),

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter
Arky,

It's a fact that the US Gov. has reserved million of acres of oil reserves in Alaska. I know the largest of the reserves is for the U.S. Navy to power their ships in the event of a war, should there be no imported oil available.

We are now dependent on imports for almost everything and without being able to deploy a strong Navy to keep the sealanes open we would certainly be in deep yogurt.

It used to be the law that for securety and availability as well as economic reasons, all items purchased for use by the US military had to be manufactured in the US. That no longer applies, we now purchase vehicles, electronics, even weapons from foriegn sources. Strange, suppose for some reason we went to war with them, do you think they would still supply us with equipment and weapons???? Hmmmmmm....... let me think about that.......?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
From what I understood from history the crude oil in Alaska could be refined for our needs in the 1970's and can be even better refined today. The pipeline was supposedly built to eliminate our reliance on OPEC. But when the pipeline went into use, OPEC then dropped their prices to a level well below the cost of having it supplied through the pipeline and it was shut down. I can buy that the field reserves are there for military use if needed, but a ship doesn't run on crude oil. It would have to be refined into fuel either in Alaska or be brought to the lower 48. Besides this, most of the larger Navy vessels today are atomic powered. Maybe we should start making practical use of at least some this oil now, and in the meantime hit the bricks on development of methanol. It can be refined to work in both gasoline and diesel engines. We should also look into other alternative energy sources that can work in our current vehicle types for the future, such as liquid nitrogen which also works in piston engines. That's it- I'm applying for a job at the department of energy along with all my other pipe dreams:7
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I see there is a lot of talk on the fuel cost and now the Alaskan Pipeline. Below I posted some links for your convenience. If you want to learn about the building of the pipeline, and some other interesting facts, like the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
http://www.alyeska-pipe.com/pipelinefacts.html
http://library.thinkquest.org/3921/index.htm
http://www.alyeska-pipe.com/

I read talk of the US oil reserve. I do know that is for our US government to use in case of an all out war and we can’t get fuel from OPEC. Our fuel is now processed and refined by region, and depending on what region in the US the fuel is refined it can’t go anyplace else. EX: fuel refined to sell in Ohio can’t be sold in Texas. This plays a very big part in why fuel is costing us so much money, then you also have OPEC playing their money game, and so on. Links on oil reserve:
http://www.manicore.com/anglais/documentation_a/oil_reserve.html
http://www.petroleumnews.com/pnarch/030330-10.html
http://www.radford.edu/~wkovarik/oil/5oilreservehistory.html

Weave is right when he talks about alternative fuels. 20 plus years ago people were inventing alternative means and because of all the bureaucratic BS that idea went nowhere. Links on alternative fuels:
http://www.afdc.doe.gov/altfuels.html
http://facultystaff.vwc.edu/~gnoe/avd.htm
http://www.biodiesel.com/why_biodiesel.htm

I think if we keep allowing all these environmentalists, and others to keep pressuring the government things are only going to get worse. At least we aren’t in Europe paying $5 a gal for gas. Look here: http://www.relojournal.com/may2000/gas.htm

G

>>If this country would have concentrated on alternate alcohol based forms of fuel such as methanol 25 years ago, most of our farmers would still be here and we wouldn't have to be relying on OPEC<<

This a VERY good point. I have always thought our gov't was doing us and the farmers a dis-service by not backing the methanol movement. I have heard a lot about "fuel cells" in the past, but they just haven't came fruition. I haven't followed them lately, but at one time, it looked as though we were headed that direction.

I read an article once that noted hos, as the price of fuel rises, these alternative energy sources come into play. The result is that there is a natural price ceiling that should determine what we pay for fuel. I'm not sure where that ceiling is right now, but it seems to be getting taller..lol.

I used to track the "fuel cell" stocks, I bet they have doubled in the last few months as they tend to fall off when fuel prices drop, but when prices rise attract attention, people begin to look at the alternative markets and the fuel cells stocks tend to do very, very well with that.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
WHILE TALKING TO ANOTHER DRIVER IN MCALLEN TX. THE OTHER DAY HE MENTIONED A WEB SITE CALLED www.truckersfuelparty.com IT'S WORTH CHECKING INTO! I FOR ONE AM IN FAVOR OF THIS! JUST THOUGHT I'D PASS IT ALONG!!!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! SHARP327 :)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I spent the last 4 weeks on the west coast,left Tacoma Wa on Monday.
CA Diesel $2.35-40
WA $2.11
ID $2.00
MT $1.85
WY $1.80
SD $1.80
AZ $1.90
Be a while before I go out there again.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think that if fuel keeps climbing, many drivers will be forced to shut down ect. It will be at that point that companies will start to get active. Many have been dormant on this issue for way too long. Of course this is because the drivers are shouldering the costs.
I have already read were some companies are going to use HHG milage guide pay if a mandatory surcharge is passed. This will soften the blow to the customer, but not the driver.
The only thing that might slow that down is the fact that HHG milage guide is being tested in court.
There are lawsuits pending against Swift relating to this. Info on that can be obtained by going to www.ooida.com

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why not just run at a slower speed?

Tell the shipper that the run will take "X" number of hours. I know you haul express freight but a padding could be built in to allow you to run at the speed you get the best fuel mileage.

Probably a dumb idea...but what the heck?

Drive Safe(ly)

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I'VE GOT A COUPLE OF THINGS I'D LIKE TO MENTION WHICH MAY WORK TO HELP IN DEALING WITH THE COST OF FUEL! THIS MAY SEEM CRAZY BUT CHECK OUT www.greasel.com MY BROTHER IN LAW HAS BEEN TRYING TO GET ME TO TRY THIS AND I WOULD IF IT WASN'T FOR MY TRUCK BEING UNDER THE MANUFACTURES WARRANTY. AND AS CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS THIS ALL STARTED DURING WORLD WAR 2 WHEN THE GERMANS COULDN'T GET FUEL FOR THIER TANKS AND OTHER VEHICLES WHICH USE DIESEL. AND IT'S BEEN KEPT HUSH HUSH ALL THIS TIME! MAYBE THE HIGHER UPS THOUGHT IT WOULD CUT INTO THEIR PROFITS?*#@$

ANOTHER THING WHICH I THINK WILL HELP OUT ALOT IS BY HAVING A GPS GUIDING SYSTEM IN YOU TRUCK WHICH WILL GIVE YOU OPTIONS ON YOUR ROUTING SUCH AS TRUCK PRACTICAL OR SHORTEST ROUTES. OH! CAN I PLUG THE ONE I HAVE FOR SALE IN THE CLASSIFIEDS???? ;)

TAKE CARE OUT THERE! :) SHARP327