Fuel Cost

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Friends out west say that Thursday is BOYCOTT FUEL DAY..If you can do it, sounds good. Be sure to pass it on to other Truckers, not just expediters.. I don't think me not buying 4.5 gallons for my 71 Volkswagon will impact anyone. However, long haul truckers can impact the oil industry, even if just for a day.. As far as your respected Companys go, keep asking what they are going to do for you! They are in this mess also..

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Here's a little tidbit confirming the availability of alternate fuels, the availability of alt fuel technology, and the availability of a real solution . . . if the need is deemed great enough:

I listen to a lot of shortwave radio, and enjoy different perspectives not presented in our 15 second sound-bite culture. I was listening to The Voice Of America on a Brit SW station about 2 years ago and they told of an island of the Commonwealth that was very small and primarily agricultural.

Everyone was using small diesel tractors but because the island was so small, the smell of diesel exhaust was "intruding on their quality of life" (their terms, not mine).

So some engineer took on the task of cleaning the air and refined coconuts . . . no fooloin' . . . coconuts to create diesel fuel! The ratio was 6 coconuts to a litre of diesel, AND the fumes now smelled like, well, coconuts.

Problem solved! The tractors ran fine. Chuckle as we all may at this story, the thing is the truth.

And the point is that: If the desire is great enough, the need great enough, something gets done. This is not another 500 MPG carb secret held by the automakers National Enquirer story.

I agree that congress, the trucking industry, the shippers all need to HEAR our dissatisfaction with the fuel prices. Turn up the "street-heat"! I will, as suggested in the first threads of this topic send my 2 cents out; and appreciate it being brought to the forefront!