From the dark side..............

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ahhhhaaaaahhhaaaaa
resistance is futile.:D

Okay, got it out of my system.
Me ( along with my wife Linda ) drive for Fedex CC.
Going on our fifth year now.
Currently we drive a DR unit.
No hype here, no pompoms, I am not a company type guy.
I watch out for mine and that will more than cover the Feds needs.

What can you make at Fedex.
I make a very good living driving for someone.
Came in when the doom and gloom guy know it alls on this website said:
"the end is near" "you are crazy, go work at Micky D".

I laugh at them, all the way to the bank.

225K average 4 years.
this year 12% ABOVE my BEST year.:eek:

I guess I will stick it out a little longer and fatten my bank account.

All I got to say.............see ya.:cool:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Is it safe to assume that the $225k is to the truck? Either way great numbers, keep on keeping on.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is it safe to assume that the $225k is to the truck? Either way great numbers, keep on keeping on.
:eek: Wow I wish it was to me.
Thanx.:D
That is gross to the truck.

To help clarify better, we are on a 62/38 split where we pay fuel, tolls, fuel tax, dis.ins. and pre-pass.

Compared to a 40/60, we average 3.5% more in settlement.
I figure the difference on every load to make sure the current
pay plan is competitive.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Based on what is posted from people AT Fedex, I don't think they are complaining about past revenue but what is coming down the pike. If some are willing to do loads for a buck mile, then I can see how they might be affected. Maybe you will luck out and they will save all the good loads for you.:D

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Based on what is posted from people AT Fedex, I don't think they are complaining about past revenue but what is coming down the pike. If some are willing to do loads for a buck mile, then I can see how they might be affected. Maybe you will luck out and they will save all the good loads for you.:D

One can only hope.:D

Being in a DR at this time has its advantage.

If it changes I may call you for a job.:eek:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
FedEX is a great Company its just ashame that all the other companys around have to jump into the Expedite Business and then play cut the Rate and make them actualy LTL rates.
In order to stay in Compatiion and business the companys all lower there rates.
Food goes to the lowest bidder.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One can only hope.:D

Being in a DR at this time has its advantage.

If it changes I may call you for a job.:eek:

Always welcome. And I can match your numbers except without a reefer.;)

On a side note IRT......the newer companies aren't driving the cheap rates.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That's good news. I am one of the naysayers and say that for a reason - if you are determined to prove us wrong, you will succeed.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I have none of those things but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! Success and happiness, however each define it, should be our goal. Sounds like you guys are well on your way. Great job, but were they out of Chevy"s or what...lol.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's good news. I am one of the naysayers and say that for a reason - if you are determined to prove us wrong, you will succeed.

Dont take this wrong, but none of you on EO are a motivating factor in our trying to be successful.:cool:
Only our needs can urge us to do what has to be done to take
care of our own.
There is plenty of insight along with a whole bunch of
comic relief on this site.
As with all opinionated conversations, taken with a grain of salt.
But, that is how life works.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh I am so insulted with that comment ... NOT!

Seriously, I got what you are saying but some one some how has the seed planted in their mind that they will not make it and many times it is being critical with the that gets them to be a bit more motivated.

Maybe that makes no sense but on my first day doing this, I was told by a very infamous expediter I would fail within 6 months because of my situation but almost 6 years out, I am still here and content.

Regardless it is a good thing that you are successful.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Linda,what will work for some,will never work fo all,Everyone on this site has their own way of doing what they think is best.
I made lots money with both Roberts Express and then FDCC.To bad Im not saver,Ive gone thru a fortune.When people complained about the new fsc it still worked fine for me,mostly 'cause I could talk them into large paid dead heads.I also made quite a bit of money at Tri State,but by now truck was old and needed more work,and I didnt want to buy another,now I have old broken truck,and brand new truck,oh well.

Attachments

• truck and reefer.jpg
    truck and reefer.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 23

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dont take this wrong, but none of you on EO are a motivating factor in our trying to be successful.:cool:
Only our needs can urge us to do what has to be done to take
care of our own.
There is plenty of insight along with a whole bunch of
comic relief on this site.
As with all opinionated conversations, taken with a grain of salt.
But, that is how life works.:D

Congrats...:D

I also did it my way....hard work, some common sense with a pinch of luck.
Canadian expediting is a bit tougher then American style....it was a lot easier down here a caveman could do it...;)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
FedEX is a great Company its just ashame that all the other companys around have to jump into the Expedite Business and then play cut the Rate and make them actualy LTL rates.
In order to stay in Compatiion and business the companys all lower there rates.
Food goes to the lowest bidder.

I am only aware of a few large carriers that are dropping their rates in this economy. Smaller carriers tend to not have the diversity of income that a large conglomerate has, therefore look to hold their ground on the rates.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I can match those numbers too, Dave. Actually, fairly certain I'll exceed them this year.

I'm not in a reefer, either. To top it off, I don't have a fleet owner constantly hunting for other loads to put on my truck, nor am I getting 85% of the total freight bill, either.:D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can match those numbers too, Dave. Actually, fairly certain I'll exceed them this year.

I'm not in a reefer, either. To top it off, I don't have a fleet owner constantly hunting for other loads to put on my truck, nor am I getting 85% of the total freight bill, either.:D

If that is even remotely true, you might want to help some that are struggling at your carrier. Based on a lot of these posts it seems to be quite a few that could use your help.

Last edited:

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I am well aware that many do as much and more than we do.:)

What I was attempting do establish for those inquiring about
expediting is that if you are diligent, a hard worker, and can
budget both time and money, you will have a very good chance of being successful in expediting even in todays economic conditions.
Businesses start and fail in all economic cycles for many reasons.
Even during the depression (Hewlett Packard (HP), Steak and Shake, United Technologies Corp, Yellow Book USA, Publix Super Markets and Ada Feed & Seed ) companies started and grew to be viable organizations.
Will someone starting off in expediting today succeed as well as any of the above mentioned companies, probably not, but not impossible. FEDEX was started during the recession of the 70's.

There are too too many doom and gloom people on this site who instead of stepping out and really helping newbies the best answer they have is to go read the past 2 years of posts.
WHOA, that takes guts and insight.

I put my performance out in the open in hopes that it helps newbies make an educated decision by having some data not
more abstract pointing to a myriad of posts.

Thank you for sharing your success.:)

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Well Dave, I'm not certain what "remotely true" means, but I'm guessing it's an implication (inference?...help me out, Turtle) that I'm embellishing, exaggerating, or maybe just plain lying.

Here's my entry into the aforementioned appendage-measurement fray:
Through 5/31 (we're on a run now that delivers then, and assumes we won't get another run ON 5/31), we're at $100,623.54.

Extrapolate at your leisure. Even with my New York math, I am pretty sure that supports what I said earlier. But what do I know? We're just a lowly dry-box team for the redheaded ******* stepchild of the FedEx name, Custom Critical. You know, the entity that exists solely at the pleasure of, and survives only because of the 'stale biscuits' and scraps thrown to it by its master, FedEx Freight, as a poster here frequently (and erroneously) spouts out?

You know that saying, that it's better to keep quiet and let everyone think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? Every time I read about "falls under" or "is part of" FedEx Freight, that's the thought that enters my head. While we're on the subject, two weekends ago, I picked up from a FedEx Copy & Ship center, and delivered to a FedEx Office. Does that mean I'm part of FedEx Office now? I'm so confused......

Custom Critical is an entity that is part of the FedEx SERVICES umbrella, just like..........wait for it.......every other FedEx brand.

Regarding your question about helping struggling drivers: Most of what I have read about struggling comes from TVAL drivers. Can't help with that....not my realm. However, from my humble and somewhat-novice view, it appears to be folks that have painted themselves into a corner with very expensive refrigerated trucks with massive sleeper berths and medium-to-small cargo boxes that appear to thumb their noses at surface freight. Here's one thing I can help them with: The only thing I'm waiting nine days for in the same spot is the birth of my next grandchild. If the implication (inference? Again, a lifeline, Turtle, please) is that 'struggling' was a reference to Jim Joerger's post about switching to flat-rate, I don't see it that way. I look at his pre-contract-switching numbers as respectable, both in monthly gross and per-mile. Like Jim and Shayne, we will also be debt-free in a hair under three years. The Joergers and we both wound up in this business for similar reasons. Our goals are fairly similar ('cept he's gonna shovel equine defecation under the Florida sun, and I'll be shoveling frozen water), and I'm reasonably certain that we'll both get there. He has simply chosen a different path than I. I applaud him for taking a leap into the unknown. For someone that loves to drive, it should work well for him. For those who gasp at the prospect of operating a truck for under a dollar per mile after fuel, I would suggest changing driving habits, or trading for a truck that gets better fuel economy, and then taking a real strong look at what gets spent that's not truck operation-related.

I have some other things to say, but need rest. More later.....I promise.

And yes, dabluzman, I got your drift....when you first posted it. Very nice.:cool:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here's my entry into the aforementioned appendage-measurement fray:
Through 5/31 (we're on a run now that delivers then, and assumes we won't get another run ON 5/31), we're at $100,623.54.

May I ask, how many miles (odometer) did you put on your truck over the same time period?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
AJ: since it appears Turtle is elsewhere, let me help. 'Implied' is what you suggest, 'inferred' is what you believe is the meaning when someone else said it. You imply you're doing well, and infer that others are also.
:)