From one carrier to another

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would like to address the forum and relay my apologies for getting short tempered on my posts regarding my previous carrier. As you all know I was with them for a great number of years and to their credit I was very happy with them for the majority of those years. But, such as life, things change and so did FECC. Which carrier I or anyone else runs for is their own personal business decision. And my wife and I made a business decision to change carriers. We would have changed a few years ago if I had listened to my wife, but I was totally loyal and did not want to see what she was seeing. There were quite a few things that were not O/O friendly anymore when it came to running our business and we had to do something about it or lose everything we owned and worked for.

For one, the way our drivers were being talked to on the phone, and treated by FECC caused us to lose more than one driver. In fact as soon as we changed carriers (THE NEXT DAY) one gentleman started driving for us again and is VERY happy. At the same time we were changing carriers we were in the midst of qualifing 4 drivers for the other fleet that I manage. We had been trying to get them qualified for over a month, so long in fact they were going to have to take yet another drug test before ever getting completely qualified. These same drivers were qualified within 3 days at our new carrier and in the trucks making money. So, within 3 days we gained 5 drivers just because of that business decision. Better efficiency on my new carriers part I think. Trucks sitting means losing money and that is what these trucks were doing. Because we were having a terrible time getting ANY drivers qualified. At our new carrier they send me drivers who want to work. I don't even have to search them out. And their already qualified. Can you imagine the concept? Unbelievable. Also, all of our trucks and the fleet we manage are filled and running. This is the very FIRST time in nearly 2 years that has happened. Anyhow, my previous carrier is DONE and OVER with. I've spoke my peace and I am moving forward looking for betters days ahead. There is no future in the past.

This is supposed to be a forum for O/O's to speak their minds and talk about their experiences. But, each time I do so, I seem to get smacked with people wanting to slam me or put me down because of my thoughts and experiences. Whomever anyone wants to lease their trucks on with is their decision. And I do not care in the least or have any problems with whom their leased on with. Certain members of this forum seem to want to pick on anyone not agreeing with his outlook on things and I think that is wrong. It is certainly good to be loyal to your carrier but treating others badly because they do not agree with you in very childish. I am happy where I am at, and you are happy where you are at... GREAT!!!! It doesn't mean any member of this forum cannot voice their opinions about any given carrier. Yes, I will admit, some threads get a little out of hand, or heated on certain subjects. It's alright to disagree, hell sometimes it's even fun. But I don't think it's alright to slam other members of the forum because you don't like their opinions. Mainly when you have never even met them. Last I checked this website wasn't called Popularity Online. Its Expediters Online. I'm not trying to get popularity votes just because I post alot. Heck, ask anyone, I eat, sleep and breathe expedite all day long and I like to talk and help other expediters. That is it. If anyone gets offended by the number of posts I put up I am sorry. That is just me. I'm definately not trying to beat any other member in popularity. If you, want to post away !!!!

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Wow 24 hours later and no snarky or childish remarks, you might have gotton your point across there Dave...thought it might have been locked but I was wrong!! Well glad your trucks are full and running and welcome to the Panther family, I know you will enjoy it..thats why I am still here.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am glad Panther is working well for you. They are one of the top companies, just as Fedex is another. My experience was different than what you describe and in fairness to Fedex and anyone researching them I want to share it.

I had talked to the recruiter previously so we had a verbal acquaintance and he knew who I was. I called on a Thursday and said I wanted to be in orientation the following Wed. I told him I was delivering Friday about 50 miles away and wanted to do all the paperwork Friday and satellite and decals Tue. so there was nothing left to do on Wed except pay attention in orientation. It was taken care of so less than a week from start to finish. Oh, Mon wasn't mentioned as that was Labor day and everyone was off everywhere.

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
First of all, this was a refreshing read. Quite obvious someone took your "rough draft" and did a proper job of editing it into a proper English document. Whoever did your re-write ?, needs to stick around. It just comes off, so Un-Bruno'ish [and that's a good thing]

During the time my brother and I were with FEDEX,[2 trucks] we never experienced the sort of issues you write about. Each of us teamed with with non-family members and over the course of nearly 2 1/2 years, had 5 different co-drivers complete the qualifying/orientation process. Thought the whole procedure was very streamlined and extremely efficient. Funny how drivers views can differ, as 3 of our co-drivers came to us from Panther and thought FEDEX was a huge step forward in most all aspects of a Panther/Fedex comparison.

Oh, it's great thing to be compassionate about your occupation. The "eat, sleep and breathe expedite" attitude can certainly steer one towards profitability. Humbleness is also a positive attribute. I also believe that putting ones self out there in a narcissist fashion could possibly be the reason drivers are "wanting to slam me or put me down because of my thoughts and experiences"

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
First of all, this was a refreshing read. Quite obvious someone took your "rough draft" and did a proper job of editing it into a proper English document. Whoever did your re-write ?, needs to stick around. It just comes off, so Un-Bruno'ish [and that's a good thing]

The primary goal of EO is expediters helping each other, and Bruno makes a heartfelt effort to do just that. Which makes him a much more valued member (IMO) than one who offers mostly criticism, even if they can do so in a "proper English document".
I think that where your heart is happens to be much more important than where your commas are.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Wow 24 hours later and no snarky or childish remarks, you might have gotton your point across there Dave...thought it might have been locked but I was wrong!! Well glad your trucks are full and running and welcome to the Panther family, I know you will enjoy it..thats why I am still here.

Thank you Patrick and Cheril for you kind words. When I sit down and really type it on my computer things come out better. All I need to do it copy and paste it. I need to do it more, it just looks better.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

I'm not trying to be a writer, just pass on information to people. I can type up my own post thank you very much. Everyone makes mistakes in their posts, you even did in your post. Does that make you a bad person? No, not at all.

During the time my brother and I were with FEDEX,[2 trucks] we never experienced the sort of issues you write about. Each of us teamed with with non-family members and over the course of nearly 2 1/2 years, had 5 different co-drivers complete the qualifying/orientation process. Thought the whole procedure was very streamlined and extremely efficient. Funny how drivers views can differ, as 3 of our co-drivers came to us from Panther and thought FEDEX was a huge step forward in most all aspects of a Panther/Fedex comparison.

I understand what your saying, but it wasn't until the safety department was changed around that things got so bad. Scott Mc Can is back over seeing the safety department and he will get things back to where it was. Like I said It doesn't matter what I think, it matters what you and your drivers are happy with. :)

Oh, it's great thing to be compassionate about your occupation. The "eat, sleep and breathe expedite" attitude can certainly steer one towards profitability. Humbleness is also a positive attribute. I also believe that putting ones self out there in a narcissist fashion could possibly be the reason drivers are "wanting to slam me or put me down because of my thoughts and experiences"

I also understand that too, but I don't slam people on the many truck accidents they got into with their carrier, even before they became and owner. I choose not to slam people like that because I would just be like them.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As many of you may know, I love good irony. I love reading comments like how "Un-Bruno'ish" the post is, and how it appears to have been properly edited into a proper English document, a statement which is both subtly oxymoronic and deeply rich with irony in and of itself.

But, then, and in that context, gloriously, we have this absolute gem of a sore thumb, swollen, black and blue:

"Oh, it's great thing to be compassionate about your occupation."

What a great line. What a GREAT line! Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it? Especially in the context of commenting on a proper English document. OK, allow me to explain the difference between "compassionate" and "passionate". My, oh, my.

Compassionate - is to show compassion for something. To be sympathetic, to show pity or mercy, to have a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

Surely, one cannot truly mean that it is OK, fine, even a great thing, to be compassionate about your occupation. How can it be a great thing to have a demonstrable temper or predisposition towards pity for one's own occupation, especially in light of discussions about the proper editing of proper English documents? To have compassion for others who are in expediting, that one is certainly valid, as it rings true, especially today. But for your own occupation, I'm not so sure. Seems counterproductive.

Passionate - is to have, or be compelled by, or be ruled by intense feelings or emotions, arising or marked by a passion for something or someone.

Ah, it would seem that this would be a better fit, to be passionate about your occupation, rather than to be compassionate about it.

Thank goodness that most postings here on EO are not properly edited into proper English documents, as it would be a shame to deprive the world of such rich and wonderful examples of irony.
wordtf6.gif

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, that "intentionally" part really did the trick, pegged it hard. We're gonna have to start shoveling some of this irony out of here. Oh, my.

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
If we don't start shoveling, I could just buy us a bunch of those stylish boots, like they use on dairy farms. I use them as more of a fashion statement than anything.

Usually, I wear them on the really sunny June days, when they are absolutely not needed, but hey we can break them out today.