From Experienced driver back to student?

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Would you as an experienced driver be willing to go back in a training truck as a "student driver". What are your feelings about being "trained" by a driver with less experience and years on the road than you? As a husband/wife team are you willing to split up for a minimum of six months to a year to go out on seperate training trucks as "trainees" to be able to "requalify" as a T/T driver? This is a very real senario that would apply to the expediters like us that went from driving T/Ts to class 8 straight trucks and back again, not the ones with no prior T/T experience. Have you been one of these drivers or teams to do so?

Since the wife and I went back into our T/T rig from a DR- unit two years ago, several members of this forum have asked us what did we have to do to qualify with the carrier to drive a T/T again. They have been told they will have to find a driver(s) willing to take them on as a "student driver" and aquire a minimun of six months to a year's experience before they can qualify as a T/T "driver" again. What reason for this requirement were they given? The carrier's Insurance? That was the case with us even though we both have impecably clean MVRs.

In our situation although we had gone slightly past the allowable time that a driver can be out of a T/T to qualify with our carrier at the time, we were able to work around this requirement without having to retrain. Many of our friends that currently wish to do the same have not been as fortunate.

Sadly, many like ourselves thought by keeping our Class-A CDL current and the fact that we still drove a class eight vehicle that falls under the same logging rules, etc as a T/T, we would be able to return back to a T/T anytime we chose. We thought at most we would be required to pass a simple driving and backing skills test. Many are now finding out that is not so!

I would advise that if you are a T/T driver looking to drive a straight truck for a while but wish to keep the door open to go back in the future, based on the number of consecutive years driving a T/T learn how many years will you be allowed out of the T/T before being required to "retrain". This time frame varies based on the above!!!

Last edited:

springrivergroup

Seasoned Expediter
The long and short answer is no! The so called trainning period is to get more work for less pay and thats it. If it were a real trainning issue there would be written instructions, test, and the like to show the trainning actualy did something and there is not. The insurance thing is also BS because you can go out and buy a truck get insurance and the other "paper" that are required and post yourself on a load board and start haulling loads. When these people start talking about their trainning and insurance requirments you know thay are lying because their mouth is moving.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, as you know if you go from a Class A T&T To a Straight Truck, yes there are many (Companies) that make you do the above Streaken mentioned.

The only way Ill give up a Tractor Trailer is If my Wife comes out on the Road with me. Then Id be doing it for her behalf. Unless she wanted to drive Tractor Trailer.

That being said their is a lot of Drivers out here that do Have Class A and that Flip to an owner if they are with a Company so they can keep there so called Quails up to drive a Tractor Trailer.
I know of one person in Ohio that is consistent on that.
In any case The Govt now is intervening with everything as you know.
Take the New Medical Dot Physical. Did you know its going to be Real Eye test, Real blood test, Real Hearing test By way of getting inside a booth putting on a head seat (Mouse Ears) and having an actual hearing test done. No more forced whisper. Besides the old dog and Pony Pee in the Cup routine. Ya this fine Govt will be in control of everything.
Oh ya and get them Hemorrhoids checked as well.
In any case I guess weather its the company or the Govt they can sit back and say "I'm in Control".
In way it will thin out the ranks. Less Competition.
As it seems right now I see so many jumping from one Company to the next. As the Grass looks greener on the other side, You can rest assured so is the water Bill.
As the Greener companies tend to fill up and grass start getting brown you can rest assured they will be jumping again.
Just like the Class A drivers jumping from Tractors to straight Trucks, and then back again.
ho hum I'm really bored can you all tell and its raining again
I though for sure the man up stairs would make it stop so I could get my work out in today.

Last edited:

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is a true scenario. I've already been refused by several trucking companies even though I have 1 year of T/T in the past 3. But now, they want more recent experience. Not all companies, but the better ones.
Even with your own truck, leasing on, you have to have the experience. I almost got refused from one place because one company I drove for went out of business. W-2s and log books weren't sufficient to qualify me for the T/T experience since they could not verify the trailers I pulled.
So I have left the straight truck to get back to the big rig before it is too late for me.
Don't deceive yourself that the Class A on you license is enough.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Streakin, We talked about that issue just recently. Hubby and I have now been out of T/T for almost 3 yrs. Without retraining, we can not go back. This is an issue that I just can't understand. What other industry makes you retrain like this? Once you know how to do it, it's like riding a bike, you don't forget.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't get it, retraining for what?

If you have experience, then you have experience and the only thing that these companies have to worry about is the guidelines from the insurance companies.

It amazes me that some get licenses at all. Today we are at lunch and watching a truck trying to pull into the parking lot on the other side of the complex. The pumpkin driver took out two cars and a pickup and I almost parked the car there. If they can hire these guys out of school, experienced people should always be at the top of the list - right?

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's fine, Gregg. You go on thinking that it isn't "right". But, they hire you, you don't hire them.
Trust me. They are strict and are getting stricter now that freight is slower. Why would they hire somebody that hasn't pulled and backed a 53ft trailer for over 3 years? It is not like riding a bike. The longer you are away from pulling a 53ft trailer behind you, the harder it is to remember all the things you have been able to forget driving a straight truck or van.
I blind side park a straight truck like I'm pulling a little sedan into a spot. I never blind side a T/T unless there is no other way and I always have somebody spot me.
That's my opinion.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Chet, now I get that part (thanks), it is not 'retraining' but refreshing one's skills. but nevertheless the likeness of me getting into a tractor is slim now anyway so what can I say.

I see two things here, one is the experinced driver who has the proven capiblities and wants to do well and the companies who hire people who pass a test, go on the month or so of on the road training and still can't drive. The turnover rate from what I hear is still higher than it should be and the accident I described, and other events prove to me why we are getting people in Washingon screaming about safety and more restrictions.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been about 20 years since I drove....the 48's were just coming out...no automatics....no "seamless" trannys....I could see Re-training in my case. I'd prolly be a terror out there for awhile..:eek:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
OVM I could understand re-training for you, you have been out of a T/T for a long time, and you say you haven't pulled a 53ft trailer. Someone that hasn't driven for 3 years being required to re-train? A driving test, a refresher class on a range would be understandable, going back out with a "trainer" is over the top.
I still maintain that a person who has driven who has the experience, does NOT forget.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
As the Greener companies tend to fill up and grass start getting brown you can rest assured they will be jumping again.
Just like the Class A drivers jumping from Tractors to straight Trucks, and then back again.

That seems to happen a lot with drivers in the trucking industry Ice. I imagine that a lot of companies see driver resumes with 1-yr at Acme, 6-mo at Beeline, etc. I would have to wonder how long the driver plans to stay at the next carrier?

I can proudly say that our history has been:
Me: 10-yrs, 9-yrs,5-yrs, and 1yr at current carrier.
Wife: 11-yrs, 3-yrs, 5-yrs, and 1-yr at current carrier.
Not bad for a 25 year history I would think!

Our going back into a T/T was quite by accident. When we bought this tractor our original plan was to build it into a CR-unit and lease it onto FECC. By the time we found and purchased the truck the spot availible had been filled and a freeze had been placed on CR's. Not a problem since the truck was already configured as a tractor and the fact that we both had years of T/T experience. It may have not been the original plan but in the long run it has proven to be a blessing for us.

Since our extremely large tractor was not a good fit at FECC it ended up leading us to a company and freight much better suited for our equipment and our needs. A valid reason to move.

Last edited:

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
well i been having this problem. went home last year for 7 weeks for family issue.a buddy tried to get me on with him at t/t co that pulls for a major grocery chain. all no touch freight,well went in for interview,only been out 3yrs,was gonna get hire,problem comp was bought by a bigger outfit and was told been out to long sorry. but the big orange pumpkin will take me and no trainer. still thinking about it now since fleet owner i drive for is gonna put on speed limiter because i guess he's afraid of fdcc will let him go.

PalletJack

Expert Expediter
A driver having to recertify in a TT is important to all of us just like a lot of other professions must do the same after a lapse in employment.

A cop must requalify on a pistol range to keep his badge.

An airline pilot must recertify in a simulator to drive a plane he's been away from for a while

Would you want your children to on a school bus where the driver has been away for three years? Or being taught by a teacher who has let her certification lapse?

How about a heart bypass operation by a doc who has been on a golf outing for three years?

Refresher training is no less important to a trucker than to many other jobs that we take for granted.

aileron

Expert Expediter
A driver having to recertify in a TT is important to all of us just like a lot of other professions must do the same after a lapse in employment.

An airline pilot must recertify in a simulator to drive a plane he's been away from for a while

Would you want your children to on a school bus where the driver has been away for three years? Or being taught by a teacher who has let her certification lapse?

How about a heart bypass operation by a doc who has been on a golf outing for three years?

Refresher training is no less important to a trucker than to many other jobs that we take for granted.

Refresher training is one thing, and I agree with it. Take the course, pass the test and then go drive. However, these companies want you to go with a trainer for 6 months or a year. Just because they want to pay you less for that period.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter

Yes but notice most of your examples take less than a week to accomplish not 6 months. the teacher thing is irrelivent cert or no cert most teachers today are not qualified to teach.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter

Your points are understandable but with some flaws.

In the case of a T/T driver that has been out of a T/T for between 3-5 years (five being the max) but with a minimum of three consequtive years T/T experience, why not first have the driver take a backing and road skills test at an accredited school, in equipment simular to what he/she will be driving? If the driver passes then no retraining/ recertification required. Rather just a certificate for passing the all important skills test.

We are an example of that. After just a little more than three years out of our T/T and in a straight truck, at the direction of FECC we went to an accredited driving school of their choice and did the backing and road skills test. Total time for both of us, less than three hours. Passed with flying colors and no training for 6mo-1yr required. We were safe ticket and accident free drivers before and continue to be so today. The public is safe sharing the road with us and our T/T!

Let me note here, prior to this test my wife and I already had over 25 years combined of driving experience under our belts.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Streakin what you described sounds reasonable. I wouldn't expect a company to just let a driver jump into a truck without some type of refresher. It's the "you've not driven for X amount of time so you need to go through the complete training again.
When I went to school, we had a man in class that had 20+ years on the road. He retired from driving, but missed the road after a few years and wanted to come back. It was a complete waste of his time and money for this man to be in class with us. The only thing he needed a refresher on was the HOS because that had changed.